Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 family members given vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

And yet that's deemed fine and dandy regardless of if they can perform the tasks or earned the position.

Double standards eh?

It's not double standards.One is public and the other is private.You are comparing apples and oranges.

If I want to employ all my family in my Private enterprise that's up to me.If they are a bunch of simpletons and I ruin said business ,that's on me.

Surely you understand there is a massive difference between the public and private sector?

BettyS wrote: »
    Vulnerable (on the basis of their ethnicity) medical students were elbowed aside

They weren't. They were not due to get the vaccination at that time.

They COULD have but they were not scheduled to. There's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Outside Northern Europe and one or two other places
    , Canada, Australia etc the world is entirely corrupt.

But you are right, it’s here too and public sector nepotism grinds my gears.

It's not that it's more common in Ireland than the worst offenders it's the fact that a huge amount of Irish people seem to defend it.

In the hospital I worked in previously a lab assistant position was occupied by someone totally unqualified to work there. He got the job as his aunty worked in recruitment.

You'd be surprised the amount of people who defended that.

The most common phrases I'd hear is "sure his aunty would know whether he's qualified better than anyone" or my favourite "didn't you get a reference to work here" as if a reference from a former employer is the same as someone getting their family member a job.

But not private where daddy's kids just happen to get high positions in the family business?

Can’t control that and it’s not tax payers money. Obviously.

yabadabado wrote: »
    It's not double standards.One is public and the other is private.You are comparing apples and oranges.

If I want to employ all my family in my Private enterprise that's up to me.If they are a bunch of simpletons and I ruin said business ,that's on me.

Surely you understand there is a massive difference between the public and private sector?

I understand that ethics, accountability and equality are supposed to exist in all workplaces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My lame attempts to deflect? I have no dog in this particular fight. It's nothing to do with me either way.
    Mine and your planned date of vaccination has not changed. The sky is not falling.
    If that changes and vulnerable people are being elbowed aside, then let's get outraged but we need some perspective here.

Yes. Downplaying is deflection.
    Strange you seem to be getting so bothered about what you see as others being bothered.

Not sure what perspective you are talking about.
    Does the sky have to fall before we can challenge behaviour as corrupt or be concerned about something?
    Nope.

People treating and interacting with vulnerable people were shoved aside. One can foresee possible consequences there in terms of transmission.

Important to ensure any others in positions of responsibility for vaccine rollout dont indulge in similar corruption.
    Hence this incident needed to be red flagged.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I understand that ethics, accountability and equality are supposed to exist in all workplaces

Are you saying here that a small family owned shop hiring a family member is the same as public sector nepotism?

Can’t control that and it’s not tax payers money. Obviously.

Ah that old chestnut.

It's all taxpayers money. It's all our money. Steve jobs didn't get rich without customers giving him their money. (Or Motorola in my case).

Also no money involved in this scenario either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Actually they were due to get it. They were on the back up list, which was to come into affect in the case of no shows or extra vaccines. There was extra vaccines so procedure dictates that they should, not could have got it. They didn't instead a man prioritised family members instead of official procedures.

Are you saying here that a small family owned shop hiring a family member is the same as public sector nepotism?

Are you suggesting that it's only nepotism if committed in the public sector?

Don't recall that in the dictionary.

"nepotism

the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually they were due to get it. They were on the back up list, which was to come into affect in the case of no shows or extra vaccines. There was extra vaccines so procedure dictates that they should, not could have got it. They didn't instead a man prioritised family members instead of official procedures.

Exactly - and this view that its only 16 shots so it doesn't matter misses the point entirely. It's corruption / nepotism and he should resign or be fired over it. Everyday there's people dying that wouldn't have died had they received the vaccine so it is literally a life and death situation for some that it is given to those most in need.

steddyeddy wrote: »

You have an odd view of what a backup is. They were not scheduled to get it at that time or they would have been there to recieve it.

Had they obtained it then they would have been getting it sooner then planned. That's fine, he was wrong but again, the sky isn't falling. It had **** all effect.

kaymin wrote: »
    Exactly - and this view that its only 16 shots so it doesn't matter misses the point entirely. It's corruption / nepotism and he should resign or be fired over it. Everyday there's people dying that wouldn't have died had they received the vaccine so it is literally a life and death situation for some that it is given to those most in need.

Wouldn't that mean that the backup list should be the old and vulnerable before staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

What are your references for that point?

Medical students of a vulnerable ethnicity were on placement in the Coombe at the time and on standby. But to hell with them. It was not their ‘scheduled’ time to get the vaccine. There were 16 far more important people that were selected instead

You have an odd view of what a backup is. They were not scheduled to get it at that time or they would have been there to recieve it.

Had they obtained it then they would have been getting it sooner then planned. That's fine, he was wrong but again, the sky isn't falling. It had **** all effect.

We should cancel all speeding tickets if the driver got home safely.

Especially if they are friends and family of Gardai.

Sure the sky didnt fall so whats the harm?

The backup list should have contained the medical students.
    But no it contained the masters kids.
    Thats corruption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Wouldn't that mean that the backup list should be the old and vulnerable before staff?

Many healthcare workers have died and healthcare workers are liable to infect their patients - there is logic to the priority list if you care to engage the noggin.

Ah that old chestnut.

It's all taxpayers money. It's all our money. Steve jobs didn't get rich without customers giving him their money. (Or Motorola in my case).

Also no money involved in this scenario either.

Steve Jobs wasn’t owner of Apple. Do you think that your house shouldn’t be passed into to your offspring? If so then by all means don’t let the children of privately owned inherit.

I give money to Apple to pay for good and services. My taxpayer money makes me and other taxpayers - via the government - the financier of the government.

Do you believe that a cop should let his son off for driving while drunk? How much leeway do the public service have in treating friends and family differently?

Do you actually believe the nonsense that you are spouting?

Logistics (or more precisely semantics) aside, there were vulnerable medical students, potentially exposed to C-19 patients without a vaccine. These students have a right to return home to their families safe!

What was the rationale for his children to be vaccinated, that trumps the need to protect the medical students?

Are you suggesting that it's only nepotism if committed in the public sector?

Don't recall that in the dictionary.

"nepotism

the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs."

Stop answering questions with questions. Your entire argument is whataboutary anyway.

Do you work in the public service. If so I’d be very worried about the attitude there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If he has favored his family above others who were available, he should resign, or he should be fired.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We should cancel all speeding tickets if the driver got home safely.

Especially if they are friends and family of Gardai.

Sure the sky didnt fall so whats the harm?

The backup list should have contained the medical students.
    But no it contained the masters kids.
    Thats corruption

Calm down friend. Again I haven't said different and if you want to take the speeding part. We aren't getting up in arms over a few people speeding are we? No. They get tickets and life goes on. We don't scream 'potential murderers' at them in the street.
    What are your references for that point?

Medical students of a vulnerable ethnicity were on placement in the Coombe at the time and on standby. But to hell with them. It was not their ‘scheduled’ time to get the vaccine. There were 16 far more important people that were selected instead

That's a separate issue. I didn't defend him, I called for a bit of rational thought. The simple fact is they were not due and therefore, they were not delayed as a result. Neither was I and neither were you.

I have probable dealt with a lot more covid patients then they have by the way but I'm not vaccinated. They will get to me but there's every chance that a younger and healthier colleague will get vaccinated ahead of me when my group is called. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and that's why I'm going to bed. :)

It’s a pretty black and white story. Why do you feel the need to defend such a blatantly corrupt act?

Stop answering questions with questions. Your entire argument is whataboutary anyway.

Do you work in the public service. If so I’d be very worried about the attitude there.

So you work in the private sector?

Attack the post not the poster

It’s a pretty black and white story. Why do you feel the need to defend such a blatantly corrupt act?

You evidently aren't reading my posts

Ironic that you get annoyed when I pose your own questions back to you. Get your job through daddy and that's why you don't like it being called nepotism?

The consequences are evidently different. A private business has the purpose of making a particular person a profit. A public business is for the good of the people. If the private individual makes an ill-informed decision of appointing an unqualified individual, then they alone will directly reap the consequences of what they sow. If somebody is appointed to a public business, we all directly suffer.

There is no need to resort to nasty, little jibes when the debate is not going your way

Ironic that you get annoyed when I pose your own questions back to you. Get your job through daddy and that's why you don't like it being called nepotism?

The obvious deflection and downplaying and whataboutery is strong here.
    Yeah people get annoyed at that.

At some times your posts appear to defend nepotism... then others times you throw out jibes like that.
    Your posts are all over the shop as they deploy the above tactics.

Its important to nip in the bud temptation for anyone else involved in vaccine rollout to corrupt it by favouring family friends with conveniently short and loosely drafted standby lists, overlooking higher priority groups etc

You evidently aren't reading my posts

You ignored key parts of mine. What do you make of the report by the IT of the threat of litigation to Prof Murphy is she spoke out further?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Nepotism is a part of this country DNA. From politics down to jobs, it is everywhere. I would not lose sleep over the 16 vaccines being given to family members.
    The real number of such deals is most likely a thousand times bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Nepotism is a part of this country DNA. From politics down to jobs, it is everywhere. I would not lose sleep over the 16 vaccines being given to family members.
    The real number of such deals is most likely a thousand times bigger.

I'm sure nobody annoyed about this has thought of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Public servant is comfortable with nepotistic practices shocker

Advertisement