Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

This morning's snow in Wexford

540331.jpg

Wexford looking like the sweet spot again for Saturday night on the 06z Harmonie.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭bazlers

Hi All, what counties are at risk for snow Saturday night Met eireann mention snow/ Sleet showers pushing east. Been away for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭bazlers

Il stop posting now :):). Sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

There is an inch of snow lying readily at 700 feet. I am sure there will be a lot more tomorrow morning.

It is only 1.5c here. So I imagine we will have snow falling by 8-9pm at latest. We just need the temperature to come down by a fraction of a degree.

mHBLmfY.jpg
    hIY3bzb.jpg
    E8zVAB2.jpg

I have to say I am surprised how readily the snow is lying up there. It is barely 0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Looking at harmonie, Sunday morning could be borderline orange in parts of Leinster East munster and cavan monaghan

So the Atlantic slop might deliver in parts of the East. Will Eastern dwellers accept it?
    I think it may end up as rain or sleet further West. 9 times out of 10 the milder air mixes things out quicker than expected for us. I hope i am wrong, lets see. I Should do fairly well from the showers tonight anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Can't see any orange warnings for snow been issued by Met Éireann they will stick with a yellow warning unless there's a big change in the forecast models in the coming hours. If parts of the northwest see good accumulations by Saturday morning and then another band of snow on Saturday evening & night they may issue a upgraded warning for the northwest.

Friday night Saturday morning
    I can see them issuing a status yellow snow /ice warning for the northwest for tonight and Saturday morning Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Mayo & Roscommon. Possibly for Cavan and Monaghan also as some showers may make it to southern parts of Ulster.

Saturday evening and night
    I then think it will be a nationwide warning for snow and ice for Saturday evening and night with a band of sleet and snow giving accumulations and hazardous driving conditions by Sunday morning.

Further falls of snow could occur later Sunday morning again something that will also have to be watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Reversal wrote: »
    And elsewhere around the island it's snowing at 0 metres. :pac:

The land fetch across southern counties in this westerly helped out the Wexicans and those in the southern half of Kilkenny, south Carlow and east Waterford to see snowfall this morning.

Mild core came ashore around just north of the Shannon estuary and drifted across towards Wicklow/Arklow.

Can't see any orange warnings for snow been issued by Met Éireann they will stick with a yellow warning unless there's a big change in the forecast models in the coming hours. If parts of the northwest see good accumulations by Saturday morning and then another band of snow on Saturday evening & night they may issue a upgraded warning for the northwest.

Friday night Saturday morning
    I can see them issuing a status yellow snow /ice warning for the northwest for tonight and Saturday morning Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Mayo & Roscommon. Possibly for Cavan and Monaghan also as some showers may make it to southern parts of Ulster.

Saturday evening and night
    I then think it will be a nationwide warning for snow and ice for Saturday evening and night with a band of sleet and snow giving accumulations and hazardous driving conditions by Sunday morning.

Further falls of aniw could occur later Sunday morning again something that will also have to be watched.

Yes I think this event may bring more widespread low level snowfall.

Temps are marginal now but we are very close to snow conditions. Once nightfalls I imagine showers will readily to snow.

Met office have me down for snow showers by 7pm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Yes I think this event may bring more widespread low level snowfall.

Temps are marginal now but we are very close to snow conditions. Once nightfalls I imagine showers will readily to snow.

I do hope you get snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

There is an inch of snow lying readily at 700 feet. I am sure there will be a lot more tomorrow morning.

It is only 1.5c here. So I imagine we will have snow falling by 8-9pm at latest. We just need the temperature to come down by a fraction of a degree.

That's a massive difference between where you live (assuming there is no lying snow at all there) at about 50m to the readily sticking and accumulating snow in your photos at about 200m. It must be a fairly rapid transition going from wet ground to full on snow cover in that 150m difference in altitude.

For the Saturday night event, you should be in a prime position as winds are currently forecast to be from the south so you can take full advantage of the cold air coming down from the snowfields of the Sperrins not too far away from you. Should be no marine layer to worry about. I'd be highly surprised if you need to drive anywhere on Sunday morning to share photos and videos with us :D

Showers will turn increasing to snow over inland areas this evening tonight across west Ulster and north Connacht. You should have snow snow by Saturday morning.

highdef wrote: »
    That's a massive difference between where you live (assuming there is no lying snow at all there) at about 50m to the readily sticking and accumulating snow in your photos at about 200m. It must be a fairly rapid transition going from wet ground to full on snow cover in that 150m.

For the Saturday night event, you should be in a prime position as winds are currently forecast to from the south so you can take full advantage of the cold air coming down from the snowfields of the Sperrins not too far away from you. Should be no marine layer to worry about. I'd be highly surprised if you need to drive anywhere on Sunday morning to share photos and videos with us :D

Yes there is a big transition, more than typical. From about 500 feet to 700 feet, the ground transitions quickly from wet ground to slush to packed snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

hIY3bzb.jpg
    E8zVAB2.jpg

I have to say I am surprised how readily the snow is lying up there. It is barely 0c.

You're taking photos of my tracks :pac:

Benevenagh is beautiful this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sow-on-hill-jan-2021.jpg

Some snow in E Clare.

WARNING ISSUED BY MET EIREANN

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Falls of hail, sleet and snow. Icy and hazardous conditions.

Valid: 12:00 Friday 22/01/2021 to 12:00 Saturday 23/01/2021

Issued: 12:00 Friday 22/01/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes there is a big transition. From about 700 feet to 500 feet it turns from wet ground to packed snow.

That's about 60m :eek:

I think I mentioned before that I've see similar on a couple of occasions were I've gone from wet ground at home @ just under 90m ASL to full on sticking and accumulating snow at the top of the nearby hill at just under 150m ASL.

I don't know about you but I find that the rapid transition from a green landscape to a full on white landscape (and back again) is almost more fascinating than the snow by itself!

Snow in Letterkenny this morning. This was up around mountain top.

I think I mentioned before that I've see similar on a couple of occasions were I've gone from wet ground at home @ just under 90m ASL to full on sticking and accumulating snow at the top of the nearby hill at just under 150m ASL.

I don't know about you but I find that the rapid transition from a green landscape to a full on white landscape (and back again) is almost more fascinating than the snow by itself!
    Yeah it doesn’t normally happen in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Glorious blue skies in east meath, louth border this morning. I am hoping to see lots of snow over weekend, just for something different to look at besides the 4 walls.

A good covering in Letterkenny, Donegal now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1352596412861702149

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

https://youtu.be/ySY9ulHi9r8

I wish it was like this here!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

WARNING ISSUED BY MET EIREANN

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo

Valid: 12:00 Friday 22/01/2021 to 12:00 Saturday 23/01/2021

Yes! Ros, Ros, Ros, Ros

BullBauld wrote: »
    Yes! Ros, Ros, Ros, Ros

Northern parts of Roscommon should see some accumulations by Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Bucketing down in Letterkenny for the past while, about 2cm covering now. Nice surprise, wasn't really expecting anything today :)

https://streamable.com/f0yc3s

Bucketing down in Letterkenny for the past while, about 2cm covering now. Nice surprise, wasn't really expecting anything today :)

https://streamable.com/f0yc3s

Much of the models had heavy showers for much of today right into Saturday morning for the northwest region turning increasingly to snow as that colder air moves in . Could be some good accumulations ahead of the band of snow tomorrow evening and night in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's really down to the freefall (melting) time of the flakes. The air is not really cooling with height this morning (see Castor Bay sounding just out now). So a flake falling at 1 m/s through an isothermal layer just above 0 degrees will have 10 seconds less melting time for every 10 metres rise in terrain. That's 1 minute less in this particular case, a lot to a snowflake.

Once on the ground the mass effect slows down melting and allows a layer to build. Sixty metres further down the flake would be more melted and would not accumulate as readily.

http://www.meteociel.com/cartes_obs/sondage_display.php?id=3918&map=2&date=1611313200&map2=2

3918_0_2101221101.png

MET EIREANN WARNING FOR SATURDAY
    Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland

Valid: 18:00 Saturday 23/01/2021 to 12:00 Sunday 24/01/2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement