Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Cant believe Tallaght is referred to as a village, it’s huge. If you combine just the ‘villages’ of Tallaght, Lucan and swords within Dublin, they are bigger than Cork city!

Letterkenny I have visited a good bit over the years and it is quite prone to snow.
    AuntySnow wrote: »
    Glencullen co Dublin rises to 297 metres in its 'village,its district, some of which is higher than its village centre has a population of 14,000
    Tallaght is over 100 metres at its centre,is still known as a village and has a population of well over 100,000

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's a pity we don't have some high ground plateaus like in Spain and other european countries. It's hard to believe there are hardly any towns/villages above 150 meters in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's a pity we don't have some high ground plateaus like in Spain and other european countries. It's hard to believe there are hardly any towns/villages above 150 meters in this country.

Was reading about the population explosion pre famine and people started to populate higher areas, with some highland areas having huge populations compared to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Anything for Dublin in coming days (clueless I am looking at the charts)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I don't know but I'm out walking the dog now and I can barely hold the phone it's so cold. Los g the ab..Iity to t*pe...****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

, few members have it pushing back in from the Irish Sea over parts of east Leinster into Sunday.

EC6z started to show that possibility.

Amazing, despite the cloud cover, at how bright it is at nearly 5 o clock. This time only a couple of weeks ago it'd be dark by now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

A lot of talk about snow this weekend in the media beyond the usual suspects who seem to call snowmageddon every second week.

Met Éireann giving snow for the east tomorrow night

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    EC6z started to show that possibility.

Amazing, despite the cloud cover, at how bright it is at nearly 5 o clock. This time only a couple of weeks ago it'd be dark by now.

Seeing as it's cloudy over there,I thought I'd share this gratuitous shot of the moon I'm looking at right now

Sorry about it being sideways
    But you get the picture
    Pun pun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I don't know but I'm out walking the dog now and I can barely hold the phone it's so cold. Los g the ab..Iity to t*pe...****

We need to send N to where you are...... for some eh cold air

• Registered Users Posts: 19,915 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I too was particularly struck by how clear the air was this afternoon and how crisp the moon looked and also took a photo: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116010389&postcount=6

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The showers are all dying out as the temperatures drop. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

berettaman wrote: »
    Behind the Wall of Sleep

Black Sabbath

So it's definitely going to snow then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The showers are all dying out as the temperatures drop. Typical.

Plenty of troughs to come down from the north yet.

https://meteologix.com/ie/satellite/europe/top-alert-15min/20210122-1645z.html#play-0-27-7

There’s an odd marine affect going on here. The hill to the north has a snowline of 800 feet. The snowline here to the south is 400 feet and it has stayed there all day. This is only over a 3-4 mile distance.

I would say there is 2-3 inches up at the top of the hill here maybe more.

Just back from my hike. I was hoping to see more snow but it is actually more over towards my area as above.

Snowline is about 800 feet, with about an inch of powder snow above 1000 feet.

FU10jVy.jpg
    91qNV6z.jpg
    VL29GJU.jpg
    xjsO5yK.jpg
    UDPxEQq.jpg
    FJFIDYa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Stunning photos
    Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    There’s an odd marine affect going on here. The hill to the north has a snowline of 800 feet. The snowline here to the south is 400 feet and it has stayed there all day. This is only over a 3-4 mile distance.

I would say there is 2-3 inches up at the top of the hill here maybe more.

You'd be surprised how much of a difference that a 5 - 8km landfetch can make to slightly negate the marine effect, especially with altitude in the mix and when things are so finely in the balance.

It happens a fair bit with an easterly in the Dublin mountains. The hills and mountains closer to the sea may have no snow on them at all. Similar height hills 5/10km or so inland may have snow covering the top half and another 5/10km inland may have snow close down to the base, if not all the way to base.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Stunning photos
    Fair play

Ditto from me too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Down to 1.6° in Kildare already. Going to be a cold one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Mimon wrote: »
    Anyone reporting snow from Sligo/Roscommon? The showers there on the Met E radar look quite heavy and trying to be optimistic that a couple of the beefier ones might make it to me in Westmeath.

I am currently living in Collooney, Sligo around 3 minutes from the Markree weather station

circadian wrote: »
    Creggan, any estate on Sherrifs Mountain and I'd imagine parts of the Waterside in Derry would be close to, if not over 100m.

Yes I know I used to work in the waterside. It’s only about a degree colder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Great to see a bunch of people who actively look forward to and hope for snow every winter it brings out the child in us. I always feel that you can divide people into two groups . One group will say " oh I saw the forecast and they are threatening snow " and another group who will say " oh I saw the forecast and they are promising snow ". Probably the same way that some will wonder whats around the corner while some will be afraid of whats around corner.
    Well as someone who is approaching pension age and has been told " you should grow up " you can put me firmly in the " snow promised " camp . I love the excitement , the crisp cold the bright light the silence .
    As a child growing up in the midlands throughout the 60s we seemed to get real snow several times each winter . Perhaps just my mind playing tricks but snow seemed a regular event .Forecasting was not as good back then so the first indication of snow was the brightness lighting the bedroom through the thin curtains and the muffled silence on a winters morning as it seemed to snow mostly at night .
    Oh the excitement , wellingtons on walking through the crisp snow, brilliant blue sky and the surface sparkling like icing sugar . Theres something lovely about the crunching sound of snow under your foot and the sight of the first footprints through a pristine lane or meadow .
    So the overcoat , hat , gloves ,boots and warm trousers are ready under the stairs and at the first hint of snow i will be walking by the royal canal .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Great to see a bunch of people who actively look forward to and hope for snow every winter it brings out the child in us. I always feel that you can divide people into two groups . One group will say " oh I saw the forecast and they are threatening snow " and another group who will say " oh I saw the forecast and they are promising snow ". Probably the same way that some will wonder whats around the corner while some will be afraid of whats around corner.
    Well as someone who is approaching pension age and has been told " you should grow up " you can put me firmly in the " snow promised " camp . I love the excitement , the crisp cold the bright light the silence .
    As a child growing up in the midlands throughout the 60s we seemed to get real snow several times each winter . Perhaps just my mind playing tricks but snow seemed a regular event .Forecasting was not as good back then so the first indication of snow was the brightness lighting the bedroom through the thin curtains and the muffled silence on a winters morning as it seemed to snow mostly at night .
    Oh the excitement , wellingtons on walking through the crisp snow, brilliant blue sky and the surface sparkling like icing sugar . Theres something lovely about the crunching sound of snow under your foot and the sight of the first footprints through a pristine lane or meadow .
    So the overcoat , hat , gloves ,boots and warm trousers are ready under the stairs and at the first hint of snow i will be walking by the royal canal .

i wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't like snow. it calls their whole character into question.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

highdef wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how much of a difference that a 5 - 8km landfetch can make to slightly negate the marine effect, especially with altitude in the mix and when things are so finely in the balance.

It happens a fair bit with an easterly in the Dublin mountains. The hills and mountains closer to the sea may have no snow on them at all. Similar height hills 5/10km or so inland may have snow covering the top half and another 5/10km inland may have snow close down to the base, if not all the way to base.

Similar example of that this morning but at sea level. At my house in South Waterford City a wet snow with nothing sticking but i went 4km North to the NCT centre and grass covered and snow sticking to wet roads.

Looking at the radar when i got up this morning i was convinced it would snow with the temp around Zero and heavy frost everywhere so i couldn't understand why it was heavy rain, also why it wasn't freezing rain. Then with temps rising slightly the rain turned to snow. These marginal set ups are near impossible to call. Could be a similar maginality on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

highdef wrote: »

Similarly here in Cork city suburbia. We are prob 10km from the sea but it makes all the difference. Sometimes snow charts show rain on the south coast but they overdo the extent of that marine effect. It really only applies for the first 5km or so in many set ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

everything is wet outside here in Dublin 5 but I didn't see what fell, I assume it was either rain or sleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

540379.jpg

Waterford earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Artane2002 wrote: »
    everything is wet outside here in Dublin 5 but I didn't see what fell, I assume it was either rain or sleet?

I'm in D9. Was a hefty enough shower! Rare enough something of decent intensity makes it here from the NW.

Pretty much rain only. Looked slightly 'splodgy' at times but it would be generous to call it sleet. 2.6c currently. Maybe if one survives later on this evening or tonight it will be more wintry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm at 176m in the SW. Plenty of snow on the mountains behind me 300m and above.
    Slieve Mish looks lovely this evening with the whole range capped.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement