Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Belfast Aldergrove
    Snow
    Issued at: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 05:19 UTC
    Valid from: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 11:00 UTC
    Valid to: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 19:00 UTC
    SLIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS ARE FORECAST MAINLY AFTER 1400 GMT, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 1CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 2000M.

Derry Eglinton
    Snow
    Issued at: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 05:35 UTC
    Valid from: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 12:00 UTC
    Valid to: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 18:00 UTC
    SHOWERS OF RAIN AND SNOW MIXED IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD BUT NO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Its snowing at the airport.

Maybe just since that report was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Would you look at that! The road from Limavady to Coleraine this morning! :)

F4-D6968-B-4-D56-4-BC3-A874-5-C24-EB723-FF3.jpg

Credit: Aerial Vision NI

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Maybe just since that report was issued.

Is it an auto metar? Doubt there is an observer at the station?

Is it an auto metar? Doubt there is an observer at the station?

It's a manned report. The tower controllers are trained observers. It's likely that it just turned to snow after 9 am. We'll see in the 09:30 report.

These were the last 4 reports. They are automated overnight when the tower is not manned.

http://www.flywaterford.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=151
    SAIE99 EIWF 220900
    METAR EIWF 220900Z VRB03KT 9999 RA BKN018 M00/M01 Q0992=

SAIE99 EIWF 220830
    METAR EIWF 220830Z 34003KT 9999 SCT025 M01/M02 Q0992=

SAIE99 EIWF 220800
    METAR EIWF 220800Z 00000KT CAVOK M03/M03 Q0992=

SAIE99 EIWF 220730
    METAR EIWF 220730Z AUTO 00000KT 5000 BR NCD M02/M03 Q0991=

• Advertisement

It's a manned report. The tower controllers are trained observers. It's likely that it just turned to snow after 9 am. We'll see in the 09:30 report.

Curious question. If it’s a very wet snow what does it be put down as in a manned report?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Showers will turn increasing to snow today especially across Ulster with accumulations across parts of the northwest and north tonight. Latest traffic cameras show snow on the Coleraine Mountain road and Barnesmore Donegal have snow on them this morning also.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Curious question. If it’s a very wet snow what does it be put down as in a manned report?

They may, or just put it down as sleet (RASN) in that case.

Strangely, it's still down as rain at 09:30 :confused:

METAR EIWF 220930Z 35004KT 310V030 9999 RA SCT012 BKN019 M00/M00 Q0993 R03/2/////=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Well that’s nonsense. The colder air is over me.

Not sure if you misread kermit's post or something. He said "There won't be a problem further south." This was in response to you saying "Also the Met office still say that the snow will only lie on high ground. If the snow is already lying to 100 metres and the coldest air isn’t here yet I’m sure that’s a little pessimistic."

Now I am sure Kermit will correct me if I have misread between the lines but my take from your comment is that the (UK) Met Office say that snow will only lie on high ground "in your area* " because they are taking into account the maritime influence that areas near the north coast will be under. Kermit's comment of "There won't be a problem further south" was said because that northern maritime influence won't be a factor further south.

I said "in your area* " because I made the assumption that when you said that the Met Office said that snow will only lie on high ground, you were only referring to your locality as you only ever seem to be interested in your immediate vicinity and nowhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Speak Now

They may, or just put it down as sleet (RASN) in that case.

Strangely, it's still down as rain at 09:30 :confused:

METAR EIWF 220930Z 35004KT 310V030 9999 RA SCT012 BKN019 M00/M00 Q0993 R03/2/////=

Not a manned report so. I know a guy works there, must ask him if theres any human input anymore.

Don’t you just love the circle around Dublin for 23:00hrs tomorrow night on the latest icon :rolleyes:

F1-AD64-FD-7-D87-4-B8-D-BC0-F-CDA36-CEBF049.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I know it wont hang around long but very surprised to see settling snow at low levels in Waterford this morning. Proper big flakes, cant beat being on the right side of marginal for once.

I would be weary though of frontal cloud ahead of the band of precipitation tomorrow night. Unlike the 7th of January we don’t really have the entrenched “deep” cold ahead of it

We shall see, models seem to be confident though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Snowing in Letterkenny this morning but not really settling, just pointless wet sleety stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Snowing in Letterkenny this morning but not really settling, just pointless wet sleety stuff

You'll be building a snowman this weekend yet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

highdef wrote: »
    Not sure if you misread kermit's post or something. He said "There won't be a problem further south." This was in response to you saying "Also the Met office still say that the snow will only lie on high ground. If the snow is already lying to 100 metres and the coldest air isn’t here yet I’m sure that’s a little pessimistic."

Now I am sure Kermit will correct me if I have misread between the lines but my take from your comment is that the (UK) Met Office say that snow will only lie on high ground "in your area* " because they are taking into account the maritime influence that areas near the north coast will be under. Kermit's comment of "There won't be a problem further south" was said because that northern maritime influence won't be a factor further south.

I said "in your area* " because I made the assumption that when you said that the Met Office said that snow will only lie on high ground, you were only referring to your locality as you only ever seem to be interested in your immediate vicinity and nowhere else.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grogu1983

Woke up to snow Tinahely Wicklow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Gfs has 26cm over you at T48

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This morning's EPS showing a fairly reasonable chance that the NW will see some lying snow early next week. Hopefully, our newest young buck up there will get to see something out of it:

CvuhdlM.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Snowing New Ross ,right at the level of the river Barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford City atm, still snowing heavily

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

Nice covering in South Kilkenny this morning ❄🌨ðŸ˜႒

highdef wrote: »

Christ, but does it really matter?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Had some snow near Mallow this morning. Surprised as didn’t think air cold enough this far south yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Surprised at all the snow in the South. There was nothing in last nights forecast about that. How did Met Eireann miss that?

A bit of snow as I was driving this morning. Not sticking much though. Sunny now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rained at first then about one hour of snow which did settle anywhere with a slight bit of elevation.
    Stopped now and starting to brighten up from the West. Temp 1.1c

https://youtu.be/afvrtx867is

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

@Highdef, could you clear out a couple of your messages as I'm tried to send you one and your 'inbox' is full. Cheers!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Gfs has 26cm over you at T48

Proper heavy snow here now and starting to settle but I can safely say that won't be the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Heavy snow in many places in Wexford this morning. Getting plenty of snapchats and Whatsapp videos

Edit: And just as i type it has started here too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement