Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a pretend football country

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Jorginhio doesn’t play in Italy, Kean doesn’t play in Italy. Veratti is another.

Took about 2 minutes to blow that nonsense out of the water.

They don't get picked and fans laugh at them for turning their backs on their domestic league.

Playing in Serie A is Gladiator stuff - it is a great honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I do find it embarrassing to visit home at say, Christmas and you have darts from London or PL football all over the TV in the pub. My sisters are then at home watching Coronation Street or some crap like that while reading OK.

A part of me dies everytime.

Jorginhio doesn’t play in Italy, Kean doesn’t play in Italy. Veratti is another.

Took about 2 minutes to blow that nonsense out of the water.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Initially won’t cap you unless you play in Italy was what I’d take from that statement. It’s news to me but Kean and Jorginho did start off in Italy so maybe?

It is highly likely there are examples of modern players not abiding by an unwritten rule.

But by and large Italian nationals are expected to play in Serie A.

How often do you see the leading scorer in Serie A getting his game upfront for the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Was getting the train to Cork today and in Mallow there was a fella working there with a Chelsea hat on. He started talking to a fella saying "we" and all this shíte and saying that I hope a blue team wins the league anyway. It's obviously not the whole reason why football is fúcked in this country but he and people like him are definitely part of the problem. If I was living in Ireland I'd probably go with Bohs and see a few games as down in Kerry there's no team and I couldn't support Cork city:-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

This guy was well into his 50s....the reason I just sat there cringing was because he was Irish...he had driven over in the ferry that morning all the way from Roscommon. I was thinking "You sad little man." He just hurled all sorts of crap about Rooney and apparently Rooney has cousins in Roscommon. All sorts of references to Travellers etc. He was the only one in a quiet section of the stand shouting his turnip munching mouth off.

I'm in two minds about this.

Is he a gobdaw for being a Roscommon man obsessed with Leicester?

Yes.

But the bigger bores are the people in the quiet stand. They should be getting stuck in with the chants and the abuse.

For all the best fans in the world lark Landsdowne can be a feckin morgue at times apart from behind the home end goal. We were shamed at O'Neills last match vs N.I, their fans outroared ours and though it was a 0 0 draw the north were buoyed by the fans, they played us off the park. There's sections up above in Landsdowne where people will give you dirty looks if you shout and try get a chant going. Unfortunately the place can really struggle to get going unless the likes of Germany are in town.

• Advertisement

Was getting the train to Cork today and in Mallow there was a fella working there with a Chelsea hat on. He started talking to a fella saying "we" and all this shíte and saying that I hope a blue team wins the league anyway. It's obviously not the whole reason why football is fúcked in this country but he's and people like him are definitely part of the problem. If I was living in Ireland I'd probably go with Bohs and see a few games as down in Kerry there's no team and I couldn't support Cork city:-p

I used to live near Turner's Cross and went to Cork City games at least once a month. When I lived in Inchicore I went to St Pats regularly.

A buddy of mine then just rubbishes and insults LOI but yet is off over to Old Trafford a few times a season. Makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Whatever about following British teams. An Irish man following Chelsea is just mad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

cms88 wrote: »
    This again :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine then just rubbishes and insults LOI but yet is off over to Old Trafford a few times a season. Makes my blood boil.

It’s his money. He’s free to spend it as he wishes.

However if he ever tried to criticize the national team of Ireland I would give him a flea in his ear about what has he done to support Irish football so what right has he to complain. Presuming he doesn’t attend national team games.

But the bigger bores are the people in the quiet stand. They should be getting stuck in with the chants and the abuse.

For all the best fans in the world lark Landsdowne can be a feckin morgue at times apart from behind the home end goal. We were shamed at O'Neills last match vs N.I, their fans outroared ours and though it was a 0 0 draw the north were buoyed by the fans, they played us off the park. There's sections up above in Landsdowne where people will give you dirty looks if you shout and try get a chant going. Unfortunately the place can really struggle to get going unless the likes of Germany are in town.

I will happily admit I will go and sit there like a boring old fart. Leave the chanting to the lads who want to chant. TBH I have been among singing/roaring fans and I have no idea how they even follow the game- they do not seem to be paying attention at all.

I guess not everyone who goes to a game wants to chant/roar and sing.

Whatever about following British teams. An Irish man following Chelsea is just mad to me.

My brother and father are fans. I asked my brother for a jacket to borrow and he gave me a Chelsea one, I didn't bother wearing it haha

• Advertisement

It’s his money. He’s free to spend it as he wishes.

I get that. Thanks.

Was getting the train to Cork today and in Mallow there was a fella working there with a Chelsea hat on. He started talking to a fella saying "we" and all this shíte and saying that I hope a blue team wins the league anyway. It's obviously not the whole reason why football is fúcked in this country but he and people like him are definitely part of the problem. If I was living in Ireland I'd probably go with Bohs and see a few games as down in Kerry there's no team and I couldn't support Cork city:-p

Even though I think most of Kerry was part of the "Desmond" part of Munster, I'm sure Thomond United will welcome supporters from all over North Munster... if they get off the ground.

I'm curious to know if football supporters from North Tipp and Clare will find it easier to support a side called Thomond (Thomond derives from the Irish for North Munster, afaik) over the old Limerick FC ... I have my doubts...

I'm in two minds about this.

Is he a gobdaw for being a Roscommon man obsessed with Leicester?

Yes.

The gas thing is I never spoke to the guy once but yet I managed to hear half his life story. He was just waffling away to no one in particular.

You know the type...they sit there on their own shouting out all sorts of opinions to nobody in particular but just looking for a reaction.

Even though I think most of Kerry was part of the "Desmond" part of Munster, I'm sure Thomond United will welcome supporters from all over North Munster... if they get off the ground.

I'm curious to know if football supporters from North Tipp and Clare will find it easier to support a side called Thomond (Thomond derives from the Irish for North Munster, afaik) over the old Limerick FC ... I have my doubts...

Yeah I'd say Kerry people would definitely get behind that Thomond idea, it surprised me that more Kerry people didn't get behind Limerick FC as the majority of them support Limerick in the hurling. But then again Kerry is full of United and Liverpool supporters so that's probably it.

I think the FAI and the IFA should be looking into amalgamation in the long term. It can only benefit the game. This business of having an essentially sectarian divide through the country needs to wise up.

It can only make both leagues more competitive in the long term.

Furthermore it would show the SFA that they don't need to be so smug going forward. If Glasgow, Dundee and Edinburgh can do it I don't see why Ireland can't either.

The other thing the FAI can start doing is taking ownership of their own phuck ups. It is currently suffering from a culture of inward thinking and cover up. Everyone is to blame for Delaney's tenure. " Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" , everyone from top to bottom knew he was a rogue but were more than happy to stick up with him in exchange for a free bar for an hour twice a year. There is blood on all of the FAI hands for tolerating his garbage for too long - with respect to the token few who did try to highlight his shambles.

They also need to take the positive out of him too. He wasn't all bad. It is highly possible that he will now be used as punchbag for everything wrong with the FAI - I doubt he was the only problem within. I read the book, it looked bad, but I couldn't help feel that the writers just poured on the beatings without giving him some respect for the good work he did. The guy was no angel by any means, but he should not be abused as a blame hound either. There is a lot more to 19 years service than a 50 grand birthday and a dissin from shítstirrers like Eamonn Dunphy.

Yeah I'd say Kerry people would definitely get behind that Thomond idea, it surprised me that more Kerry people didn't get behind Limerick FC as the majority of them support Limerick in the hurling. But then again Kerry is full of United and Liverpool supporters so that's probably it.

Lot of grá for the Kerry footballers in Limerick too, suppose it helps most of Limerick doesn't care much about Gaelic football so it's easy to give soft support to Kerry in it. Limerick FC are/were a hard team to support, we were down in the first division for years and years but the glory days (relatively) recently were great.

I can't see Thomond United being all that successful but it would be great if they brought in a wider support to the LOI. Plenty of football support in Clare and North Tipp with no local side.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kerry having their own team would be great. I’d love to do an away day down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

I think an issue with Limerick was it was seen as being more a city club rather than for all of Limerick. Re branding Thomond should hopefully help with that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,669 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Initially won’t cap you unless you play in Italy was what I’d take from that statement. It’s news to me but Kean and Jorginho did start off in Italy so maybe?

Well wouldn't most players from any major soccer country have either started in that country or moved there to play and become naturalised.

The whole only Serie A players get capped goes back to when Serie A was the best in the world and everyone was there anyway but Italian coaches know we'll that day is gone

A North Munster side is worth a shot at least. But it need to be more than a name change and get themselves out and about at youth level in the various counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think the FAI and the IFA should be looking into amalgamation in the long term.

The IFA would be crazy to jump aboard a sinking ship. A 32 county domestic league needs to happen but will require the LOI to regain its autonomy from the FAI. No easy task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They don't get picked and fans laugh at them for turning their backs on their domestic league.

Playing in Serie A is Gladiator stuff - it is a great honour.

All three played against Holland in October.

It is highly likely there are examples of modern players not abiding by an unwritten rule.

But by and large Italian nationals are expected to play in Serie A.

How often do you see the leading scorer in Serie A getting his game upfront for the national team.

Need a hand with those goalposts??

I think the FAI and the IFA should be looking into amalgamation in the long term. It can only benefit the game. This business of having an essentially sectarian divide through the country needs to wise up.

It can only make both leagues more competitive in the long term.

Furthermore it would show the SFA that they don't need to be so smug going forward. If Glasgow, Dundee and Edinburgh can do it I don't see why Ireland can't either.

The other thing the FAI can start doing is taking ownership of their own phuck ups. It is currently suffering from a culture of inward thinking and cover up. Everyone is to blame for Delaney's tenure. " Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" , everyone from top to bottom knew he was a rogue but were more than happy to stick up with him in exchange for a free bar for an hour twice a year. There is blood on all of the FAI hands for tolerating his garbage for too long - with respect to the token few who did try to highlight his shambles.

They also need to take the positive out of him too. He wasn't all bad. It is highly possible that he will now be used as punchbag for everything wrong with the FAI - I doubt he was the only problem within. I read the book, it looked bad, but I couldn't help feel that the writers just poured on the beatings without giving him some respect for the good work he did. The guy was no angel by any means, but he should not be abused as a blame hound either. There is a lot more to 19 years service than a 50 grand birthday and a dissin from shítstirrers like Eamonn Dunphy.

If the IFA and FAI merge we lose one national team. Which one goes?

It was highly unusual for Italian or Spanish players to play outside theire own league even up to 10-15 years ago. It was almost unheard of really unless you were past it and looking for one last pay day in England.

I would go so far to say it just didnt happen. I am struggling to think of any top level Spanish or Italian international who played 'abroad' during the 80s, 90s and 00s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

We lose both and create a new national team and FA.

And possibly a spot on exco which the rest of the world rightly wants any excuse to reform

It was highly unusual for Italian or Spanish players to play outside theire own league even up to 10-15 years ago. It was almost unheard of really unless you were past it and looking for one last pay day in England.

I would go so far to say it just didnt happen. I am struggling to think of any top level Spanish or Italian international who played 'abroad' during the 80s, 90s and 00s.

The Spanish were definitely on the move in the 00s but it was rare for a top Italian international to leave.
    But for any top country it was rare. The small English exodus to Italy and Spain in the 90s was seen as a strange and rare thing at the time

You can retain both national teams whilst having an all Ireland League.

That was my point.

• Advertisement

All three played against Holland in October.

There was outrage in the media about it.

Jorjingo is Brazilian.

As I said nil respecto from the fanzini's

Advertisement