Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a pretend football country

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Your post, while entertaining, doesn't really address my point. Belgium, one of the top ranked teams in the world, have most of their players playing abroad, and it doesn't do them any harm.

I don't think we need a particularly strong domestic league. We didn't have on in the Charlton years, and nothing has really changed since then.

I just think we need to get lucky and hope that we get a cycle of talented youngsters coming through at the same time. If we get the keeper Kelleher with Liverpool he would be a good starting point. Then hopefully a couple of strikers, Troy Parrot, Adam Idah, Aaron Connolly. If 2 or 3 more players establish themselves in the Premier league we could start to get a few results.

All true.

But Belgium are in a different pozi to us. We are only an aul windswept nation on the periphery. We need to try twice as hard.

In Belgium you can go play in Germany, France, The Netherlands ... you can be in Kings Cross Station in 2 hours from downtown Brussels. That gets you sitting in Stamford bridge in a 2 and 1/2 hours - try doing that from Cavan or Waterford?

Liverpool or Man U will always have the odd Paddy on their books - to sell a few jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Like most reputations it's probably based on BS. There is no way that there is only one type or an overriding type of personality that fits all the Irish that head over.

I suppose they all loved Guinness and potatoes too

It is a general point and not every player is like that. He is an experienced scout and coach and was an observation from many decades in the game. It was not some personal attack on Irish lads so on't take it personally.

TBH I have known lads who went for trials and yes quite a few (not all) were cocky little pricks so I well believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I was at a wedding over here in England a few years ago and I was sitting next to an ex pro who now works with the FA. This player (absolutely sound out) played in the late 70s and a journeyman footballer in the 1980s. Never played international and TBH nobody here would recognise his name although he did win an FA cup medal in the 70s. I had to go outside and Google his name- no idea.

But anyway, he was saying that Irish young fellas who come over for trials have a reputation for a being a real pain in the hole.

Back with their club in Ireland they are **** hot and of course they get a trial in England then they think they are God almighty but they will be one of thousands upon thousands of young fellas the club will cast an eye over.

They ask too many questions and their attitude can be off. Most of the time they are past it- clubs want to mould players in a certain way.

Reminds me of Steve Staunton. I knew a lad who played with him mid 80s- all he did was stand there hoofing the ball with this big dirty left peg. Lads with 20 times the ability running around the pitch. Liverpool took Staunton- the club knew what the wanted and they could see in Staunton a player who was raw and ready to prime. The lad with all the fancy dribbling was nbo godo to them- too far gone.

Seamus Coleman was a rough diamond for us at Sligo Rovers as well. His main attributes were his tireless running and an absolutely brilliant attitude. Not the silkiest footballer in the squad by a long shot.

Seamus Coleman was a rough diamond for us at Sligo Rovers as well. His main attributes were his tireless running and an absolutely brilliant attitude. Not the silkiest footballer in the squad by a long shot.

Well that's it. We kinda assume that professional clubs want the silkiest most fantastic player floating around. Far from it.

Clubs are looking for cogs to mould and fit into the system and do a very specific job. They want potential and good attitude and comfort in that the player can learn to be the type of player they are ultimately looking for.

I suppose it comes down to clubs not wanting the finished article. A lot of trialist are the finished article and have already reached their full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

dotsman wrote: »
    It is the last thing the "high paid" people (Irish or foreign) living in the docklands want, and is, and has been for the past number of years, a disaster for the area.

I have no idea why you think this, nor how you think it somehow impacts what people do at the weekends or where they spend their money :confused:

This is epic stupidity on the part of DCC, nothing more, nothing less.

It's hardly for people to enjoy on their lunch breaks nobody who works in the IFSC in high paid jobs spend any time in the area after work they drive home to the suburbs.

I'm not sure who will use the White water rafting but you have to laugh its just brilliant. I dunno why people always equate the 25 million they're getting for that as in terms of what football gets in terms of funding.

Its Apples and Oranges.

It's not the same if we tried to balance everything against what football gets nobody would ever have anything to do or use in the city and football would still be ****e.

I'm getting a wetsuit for my Birthday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,019 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It is a general point and not every player is like that. He is an experienced scout and coach and was an observation from many decades in the game. It was not some personal attack on Irish lads so on't take it personally.

TBH I have known lads who went for trials and yes quite a few (not all) were cocky little pricks so I well believe it.

There are experienced scouts and coaches with decades in the game who think all Africans are big and strong, all Brazilians skillful, all Spanish divers and all Italians tactical. Look at some of the managers in England who have decades in the game fellas like the League of Irelands very own Sam Alerdici and their notions on football

Saying all or most of any crowd are this or that is BS

There are experienced scouts and coaches with decades in the game who think all Africans are big and strong, all Brazilians skillful, all Spanish divers and all Italians tactical. Look at some of the managers in England who have decades in the game fellas like the League of Irelands very own Sam Alerdici and their notions on football

Saying all or most of any crowd are this or that is BS

Jaysus man relax I am not sure why you are taking umprage. He was simple saying a lot of the Irish lads can be a right pain and they ask too many questions. He has obviously seen it enough to make a generalisation. As I said, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest knowing lads that went for trials.

I have great story of the son a family friend when he went to ManU for a trial at 16 and what he said to Alex Ferguson's face. I won't bother telling it as it is very specific but let's just say 'smartass' would be polite. Surprised he made it back alive. He currently plays LOI...:D

It was a friendly and very interesting chat I had at a wedding with an ex pro over the course of a few hours. We discussed many aspects of the game- not often that happens.

I'll start to think you may have been one of those spurned trialists with a smartass attitude...;)

trashcan wrote: »
    Can you though ? My understanding was that a domestic league was a requirement for a National team. Anyway, can’t see a United league or International team this side of political unification, whenever that may or may not be.

I don't see why not?

All it takes is interested parties from both sides of the border to get the finger out.

If anything it would get rid of that insipid plastic republicanism which drips off your average FAI man. Fighting hypotethicals in their wee heads over who gets first dibs on front row seats. It is not all ticket sales and rebel songs - or at least it shouldn't be.

It would be great for the country to have teams from all over travelling and enjoying it, from Turners Cross, to the Brandywell , to the Lisburn Road , Waterford and back up to Drumcondra, Phibsboro and Tallaght. Galway United and nah nah nah na, nah nah nah na , heeeeeeyyy oh ... Sligo Rovers.

Make Irish soccer great again. Give Jim Neilly something to smile about.

Jaysus man relax I am not sure why you are taking umprage. He was simple saying a lot of the Irish lads can be a right pain and they ask too many questions. He has obviously seen it enough to make a generalisation. As I said, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest knowing lads that went for trials.

I have great story of the son a family friend when he went to ManU for a trial at 16 and what he said to Alex Ferguson's face. I won't bother telling it as it is very specific but let's just say 'smartass' would be polite. Surprised he made it back alive. He currently plays LOI...:D

It was a friendly and very interesting chat I had at a wedding with an ex pro over the course of a few hours. We discussed many aspects of the game- not often that happens.

I'll start to think you may have been one of those spurned trialists with a smartass attitude...;)

I have never had a trial with Limerick when I was a kid never mind a pro club in the UK.
    I just don't think because he works in the game it validates him lumping all Irish or any other group in as one thing.
    Sounds like he is not very good at his job if he is making assumptions about people based on nationality which is what you say he is doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I do though sweetheart.

I know he is a fat Brazilian who winds up Italians all over the world, they hate him.

You should ask around.

Jorginho has never been overweight hahaha. If anything he’s looked underweight. I don’t think you even know who your talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

trashcan wrote: »
    Interesting, didn’t know that. He was capped for us while at Norwich if I recall correctly. I’d agree, it would have been hard to see him getting in the England team at that stage.

Didnt happen, not a chance. Consider the squad England had at the time too. He mentioned in an interview with Collymore that someone (cant remember who) told him he would have got capped by England at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭LeBash

tastyt wrote: »

But we are not a football country, never will be . Our culture is soaked in GAA and it’s only getting stronger

Thats gas, every second GAA thread is about how Dublin's dominance is killing the GAA but I completely agree with you.

Jorginho has never been overweight hahaha. If anything he’s looked underweight. I don’t think you even know who your talking about.

I probably don't, but thanks for making sure of that.

Be careful you don't let progressives like me get too far inside your head? Once you invite me in you are all mine baby, there is not a crucifix or lump a garlic that will save your poor soul.

As I posted earlier I am offering free jersey burnings for Irish soccer fans looking to dump their ugly premiership habit? Just let me know I am happy to call around with some lighter fuel, the ritual jersey burning will nurture you poor lost soul, it will help you breath free again.

You don't want to end up the laughing stock of the Tranmere Rovers supporters club, they are in fits already? - they haven'y heard of that fat Brazilian who all the fanzini hate either - don't sweat it- not everyone has.

I probably don't, but thanks for making sure of that.

Be careful you don't let progressives like me get too far inside your head? Once you invite me in you are all mine baby, there is not a crucifix or lump a garlic that will save your poor soul.

As I posted earlier I am offering free jersey burnings for Irish soccer fans looking to dump their ugly premiership habit? Just let me know I am happy to call around with some lighter fuel, the ritual jersey burning will nurture you poor lost soul, it will help you breath free again.

You don't want to end up the laughing stock of the Tranmere Rovers supporters club, they are in fits already? - they haven'y heard of that fat Brazilian who all the fanzini hate either - don't sweat it- not everyone has.

I’m not a PL fan. Try again.

I’m not a PL fan. Try again.

I don't believe you to be honest.

You certainly go on like one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't see why not?

All it takes is interested parties from both sides of the border to get the finger out.

If anything it would get rid of that insipid plastic republicanism which drips off your average FAI man. Fighting hypotethicals in their wee heads over who gets first dibs on front row seats. It is not all ticket sales and rebel songs - or at least it shouldn't be.

It would be great for the country to have teams from all over travelling and enjoying it, from Turners Cross, to the Brandywell , to the Lisburn Road , Waterford and back up to Drumcondra, Phibsboro and Tallaght. Galway United and nah nah nah na, nah nah nah na , heeeeeeyyy oh ... Sligo Rovers.

Make Irish soccer great again. Give Jim Neilly something to smile about.

I don't get this notion that an All Ireland league will be more attractive than the current setup.

In reality the likes of Bray v Glenavon in an All Ireland league will be equally as unappealing to most as the likes of Bray v Finn Harps is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't get this notion that an All Ireland league will be more attractive than the current setup.

In reality the likes of Bray v Glenavon in an All Ireland league will be equally as unappealing to most as the likes of Bray v Finn Harps is now.

I'd be inclined to agree mostly. The Setanta Cup didn't really do any great numbers and that looked to pit the best against the best. It was interesting enough at the start but beyond that it didn't really capture the imagination and died off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The way football is coached in this country is diabolical. Walk over to Fairview Park on a Saturday in normal times and young lads are being coached to get rid of it or play it long, instead of pass and move out of situations. This style goes very much against players being able to express themselves and enjoy the game. There's also a lot of talented players that fall away from the game too young when they could do decent in the League of Ireland at a minimum.

We follow too closely to how football is coached in the UK.

[/b]

Very cynical.

That is like saying you don't like the taste of your porridge.

The more the merrier and it could only bring more action and a more robust league.

Glentoran heading down to Turners Cross every year could only benefit the game. With respect to Finn Harps and Bray Wanderers.

It is appalling that soccer has not breached partition and a sad indictment of both bodies north and south. Tomfoolery patriotism all said.

[/b]

The idea usually put forward is a single division closed league which would improve the league massively for the teams lucky enough to be involved because it centres the top talent on 12/14 teams but it would probably be a death knell for clubs left out.

And looking at other sports that have went this way some old historic teams would lose out to The Midlands Wolfhounds or Western Giants or whatever they come up with to fill the supporter gaps in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

The way football is coached in this country is diabolical. Walk over to Fairview Park on a Saturday in normal times and young lads are being coached to get rid of it or play it long, instead of pass and move out of situations. This style goes very much against players being able to express themselves and enjoy the game. There's also a lot of talented players that fall away from the game too young when they could do decent in the League of Ireland at a minimum.

We follow too closely to how football is coached in the UK.

This is why I stopped playing 11 a side in Ireland anyway.

People screaming at you when you get the ball and everything panicked/rushed, hoof the ball upfield as quickly as you can. Invariably lose the ball, then opposition goes on the attack, "WHY IS THERE NO DEFENCE LADS"....because instead of keeping the ball and getting a breather we're wasting energy and effort on stupid losses of possession continuously.

And that starts from underage right up to senior level. I've always maintained I would much rather lose a game of football trying to play the game than the above, which generally produces the same result anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Very cynical.

That is like saying you don't like the taste of your porridge.

The more the merrier and it could only bring more action and a more robust league.

Glentoran heading down to Turners Cross every year could only benefit the game. With respect to Finn Harps and Bray Wanderers.

It is appalling that soccer has not breached partition and a sad indictment of both bodies north and south. Tomfoolery patriotism all said.

There's a theory going around that thats as much to do with the administrative staff as anything else.

At least one chief exec and several board members would lose their jobs and that wont happen anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭pgj2015

chrissb8 wrote: »
    This is why I stopped playing 11 a side in Ireland anyway.

People screaming at you when you get the ball and everything panicked/rushed, hoof the ball upfield as quickly as you can. Invariably lose the ball, then opposition goes on the attack, "WHY IS THERE NO DEFENCE LADS"....because instead of keeping the ball and getting a breather we're wasting energy and effort on stupid losses of possession continuously.

And that starts from underage right up to senior level. I've always maintained I would much rather lose a game of football trying to play the game than the above, which generally produces the same result anyway.

Are there any coaches in Ireland at underage who play football like the great Spanish team did? tika-taka football.

There's a theory going around that thats as much to do with the administrative staff as anything else.

At least one chief exec and several board members would lose their jobs and that wont happen anytime soon

Building walls over nothing.

The reality is that any amalgamation would actually require more hands on deck to ensure it ran smoothly for the first few seasons.

After all that the last thing either organisation needs is a gang of alickadoos faffing around not making things happen? Run them fast and plamás them with a few free tickets and a table at the annual dinner. They will be happy enough. If anything the Delaney era highlighted the need to decimate a gang of smelly old yes man cronies hanging around with their paws out. Make them earn their few bob and make them actually get stuck into the grassroots for a while. Gang a chancers half of them.

Genuine soccer fans would be more than happy to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Are there any coaches in Ireland at underage who play football like the great Spanish team did? tika-taka football.

I don't know about tiki taka. But generally, the best football is played on the ground and produces the best economy of effort i.e. keeping the ball, produces more chances, brings more players in to the game. Can't be bad things to learn early and should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭pgj2015

chrissb8 wrote: »
    I don't know about tiki taka. But generally, the best football is played on the ground and produces the best economy of effort i.e. keeping the ball, produces more chances, brings more players in to the game. Can't be bad things to learn early and should be.

Yes I agree but are they many underage teams playing that way in Ireland these days? From what I have seen of youth soccer coaches here is aggressive arrogant guys who have huge egos and think they are the next Jurgen klopp. Most GAA coaches have a better way about them for some reason.

A North Munster side is worth a shot at least. But it need to be more than a name change and get themselves out and about at youth level in the various counties.

Afaik, it's a completely new club as the current Limerick FC owner won't relinquish the rights (and may be applying for a new licence). Limerick, who can't or won't support one side might be about to get our own derby fixture. There will be clashes between the rival fans all the way from the Fair Green to the Market's Field, emergency triage in the carpark of St. John's Hospital for any survivors...

It's a bit of a shambles but who knows, maybe a terrible beauty will be born...

Seriously though, Limerick FC might still hold some theoretically valuable (?) rights, if lads like Paudie O'Connor or Ogbene move clubs throughout their career so I can see why the club is being kept as a going concern.

Does JP McManus not throw a few bob at the soccer in Limerick?

I know he lashes the spends on the Hurlers and he helped with donations for both Thomond Park and the Gaelic grounds. He has a reputation for not paying taxes but he does support sports and other interests privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I just think we need to get lucky and hope that we get a cycle of talented youngsters coming through at the same time. If we get the keeper Kelleher with Liverpool he would be a good starting point. Then hopefully a couple of strikers, Troy Parrot, Adam Idah, Aaron Connolly. If 2 or 3 more players establish themselves in the Premier league we could start to get a few results.

I'm really starting to believe Parrott may be finished at top level already, probably part due to the company he keeps.

I had a read of a Millwall fans forum. The reviews aren't good to put it mildly.

• Advertisement

I'm really starting to believe Parrott may be finished at top level already, probably part due to the company he keeps.

I had a read of a Millwall fans forum. The reviews aren't good to put it mildly.

Anthony Stokes MkII

Advertisement