Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Yes, just as posters on here "have no problem "with the British,"perfidious albion "isn't ethnic stereotyping.

Now I understand why there's no British posters here..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There are a few British posters who have revealed their nationality by choice. Not sure why you'd presume anyone's nationality otherwise TBH.

And given "perfidious Albion" literally refers to an England that backslides and behaves in a duplicitous manner, maybe it's a slur closer to topical reality than is comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭yagan

Loads of brits post on Brexit threads here, they usually change their username after they've been thread banned for brigading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Boris was the best Prime minister we never had 😊😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

The comparison is apt, ajd the reference to perfidious albion is even more relevent today than it ever has been, which is pretty incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

Don't worry the UK is not going to get anything better at PM until a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's fascinating to watch Leave voters struggle with the realities of Brexit at long last. Remain voters are actually in a much better position psychologically, because even though the queues impact on them equally, they know full well what has caused it and are reconciled to it.

Leave voters on the other hand are bewildered and angry.....years of gaslighting and lies by Nigel Farage and the Daily Express have left them completely unprepared for any of this and they're not even entirely sure who to lash out at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The EU is not the least interested in winning an argument or a popularity contest. The UK has left the EU and is being treated as thr third country it has chosen to become. The EU is dealing with any consequences for it's members. The UK can deal with its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

why is it ok that french border control in in dover but having custom checks in Belfast is such an issue.

why would french border control go to dover as it sounds like it makes things more complicated for staff .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

For the same reasons you have American flight checks in European airports; it speed things up not having to send back people on the returning vehicle (ferry or plane) by checking them in advance. The UK does the same thing on the French side in Calais as well as a side note.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Tories refused to invest in additional French Border posts in Dover when the port requested additional investment to deal with the consequences of the Brexit vote and ending of freedom of movement. It would have been an obvious thing that would have made the system more efficient but ideological differences make it impossible for them to deal with the negative aspects of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Leave (or Remain) holiday uniform in the queue at Dover....

https://senprints.com/en-gb/official-i-didn-t-vote?sscid=71k6_m83m5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

as far as iam aware dublin is the only place the usa does that in europe

quick google seems to confirm that

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/preclearance

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

"Leaving the EU will make border crossing more difficult and likely lead to queues"

"No it won't, 'tis but Project Fear, ha ha"

"Leaving the EU has made border crossing more difficult and has lead to queues"

"No it hasn't, 'tis but the French, booooo"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/23/travel-chaos-is-the-new-normal-after-brexit-british-tourists-are-warned

Dim as a dim thing they are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

To be pedantic, do they not have preclearance at Shannon. In fact, I think Shannon had it before Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

There are jokes about Italian tanks? Must be a British thing.

Perfidious Albion is probably the most polite description of the nation that invented concentration camps and created a template for ethnic cleansing around the world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good business ? Brexit is an omnishambles and this government have penny pinched to make it worse. In 2020 they were asked for money to sort out the port including new passport booths, back in 2020 there were queues of truck drivers with no toilet facilities.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/23/travel-chaos-is-the-new-normal-after-brexit-british-tourists-are-warned

frustration among Port of Dover executives that the government turned down a £33m bid to help upgrade the port to cope with the additional pressures of Brexit. Instead, it was given just £33,000 in December 2020, equivalent to 0.1% of the initial request. The port warned at the time that the “clock is ticking”.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-62273523

Some 3,000 lorries are also waiting to cross the Channel. They are currently parked on the M20 outside Dover, while holiday traffic is prioritised.

Natalie Chapman, from haulier group Logistics UK, said some lorry drivers had waited to cross the Channel for "well over 18 hours" in queues with no toilet facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Am I the only one who had a a big grin on my face to see lines of traffic at Dover?

And what makes it better this is going to be the way going forward. About time France took back control if you ask me lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not at all.

It's great to see the middle classes get what they voted for. They were happy for the consequences to be limited to foreigners and those least well off. Now, they've had to experience some inconvenience on their precious holidays, expect no end of wailing and Francophobia.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm quite incredulous to see Brexity / Europhobe people hogging the airwaves on TV and radio in the UK this weekend, still trotting out the same bile about the EU, as if it's still early 2016.

These guys' very raison d'etre is to hate Europe and European people, so it's impossible to feel even an ounce of sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭20silkcut

And the leader of the opposition can’t even bring himself to oppose Brexit as an alternative policy. Really I thought I knew a thing or two about Human nature I have been around a while my youth is well in the rear view mirror. Brexit has completely upended that knowledge. People really do gleefully vote to inflict hardship on others.

I lived in the North of England for a few months about 20 years ago. My thoughts at the time was they were a decent bunch of people like ourselves less socially conservative than ourselves at that time but a good bit more pedantic about rules and regulations. After Brexit I realise I don’t understand them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

The French customs checks in UK is a consequence of the treaty of Le Touquet: the Brits wanted their customs checks in France in order to refuse migrants on French soil rather than in UK. French customs in UK was the quid pro quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I heard someone on British news, can't remember which one, saying that nothing has changed since Brexit. The delay is all up to the French.

Well, trucks used to roll up, roll on, and in France roll off - just like that. Now, they have to have a fist full of papers, completed with magic numbers that identify what they are carrying, including certs that prove it has been tested, and looked at, that VAT and duty is being correctly paid in accordance with certificates of origin, plus plenty more checks. Now all this takes time instead of no time, hence the delays of trucks queued up along all the approach roads to Dover. Who could have guessed this would be the result of Brexit?

Also, formally, because the UK was not in Schengen, the French passport control consisted of looking at the passport to check it was still valid, and the person matched the photo - and then 'Bon voyage'. Now they have to check the passport as before, (whether it is a blue or maroon one) plus that it has at least three months validity from 10 years since it was issued (the UK extended validity beyond 10 years so the validity is not necessarily as shown), that the person has not extended their stay in Schengen beyond 90 days in the last 180 days, that the stamps in the passport are correct, asking questions to verify anything he thinks needs verifying, and then, and only then, the officer will bang his stamp on the passport. Maybe, there might be a 'Bon voyage'. Now how much extra time per passenger will that take? Hence the delays.

And it is all the fault of the French.

Shannon does the preflight clearance too. Pretty sure it was the first one.

Well spending my days being called a fear mongering idiot by Brexiters in London has given me limited sympathy.

A few weeks ago, I made the point on here that if the UK ever succeeded in forcing checks on Ireland, the EU response would be for all those border staff to take care of the Irish routes. This event turned out to be a minor taster of what that would look like.

I think I read that it was a mere eight French people late for work that caused transport bedlam in the UK. They are so exposed and vulnerable to shocks, it is kind of comical that they continue to antagonise their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Pretty sure Shannon was before dublin but Canada was before that. (18 hundreds)

Preclearance facilities also exist in airports in Arubathe BahamasBermuda, the Republic of Ireland, and the United Arab Emirates.

But it has nothing go do with brexit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've none. I've had my fill of the tedious English exceptionalism that has characterised the debate here. Consequences are fine as long as they only happen to other people.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement