Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's very commonly used in the US but they're weird about units over there.

Fun fact: -40 is the same temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The temperature of your room in the USA is usually in Fahrenheit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The temperature of everything in the US is given in Fahrenheit. Cooking, appliances, air, ... It just is. Likewise it's inches, feet, yards, ounces, pounds, none of this fancy metric stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Penny Mordaunt is trending over a bbc interview about her claims the UK didnt have a veto over turkey joining

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1548613860176846848

In a strange double speak her defence of the lie was that even though the UK had a veto, it's prime minister was in favour of Turkey joining and Brexit was the only opportunity for the people to make their voices be heard on this issue.

Except in a general election.

The list of Brexit problems that could have been solved domestically without involving the EU at all is long and embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can remember when temperature was expressed in Farenheit, not sure when it switched over, in the 70s I think, but I have got wholly used to c now and have to give Farenheit some thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Conversion is simple - at least for easy temperatures.

-40 F = -40C both same number

32 f = 0 C freezing point

71 f = 21 C room temperature

98.4 F = 37 C body temp.

212 F = 100 C boiling point of water

millions of degrees F is the same as millions of degrees C - just tabloid speak for temperature of the sun.

Simples.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Millions of degrees are NOT the same. Not thousands (sun surface temp) or even hundreds.

It's nearly the same ratio as litres to pints.

Only really used by OAP's in the UK, and Tory supporters were dying at a rate of 2% a year before Covid. https://news.sky.com/story/amp/lord-heseltine-tory-voters-dying-off-at-a-rate-of-2-a-year-10920843

Given the average age and other demographics of the Tory membership it will be interesting to see how the final two try to win the membership vote without alienating the rest of their new voters and the general public.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The 'millions of degrees' refers to the fact remains that imprecise numbers remain imprecise, and whether the imprecise number is thought to be degrees F or C does not improve the accuracy.

The number of times I hear people numbers from the air - like '90% of such' or 'it increased exponentially' when it just increased a lot.

Common parlance uses 'millions' to mean an awful lot - whether it actually is millions does not matter - it is just an awful lot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

At least by 2010 the UK was the only EU member state that continued to support Turkey's accession. 

The US supported Turkey too - for military strategic reasons (NATO and Middle East).

Besides Turkey has passed only 1 of 35 chapters in the EU acquis.

Lars 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

^^^ If those numbers were to be carried through in a rerun, then the Brexit vote would be lost 60% to 40%.

[I assume the field work being carried out from Jul 13th to July 44th is just a misprint and not a new imperial date format.]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Which is why the Tory party fought so hard against a rerun. Can't have the majority of voters getting what they want.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Angela Raynor standing in for James O'Brien and having a row with, what the caller purports to be a former Labour voter, who left the party once they campaigned for a 2nd referendum. Caller is angry about Brexit. I don't think we understand the anger of people through their years of conditioning against the EU. Eye opening really that there is still such anger at the EU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's a selection bias at play there. I'd be surprised if they weren't allowing the most angry people on air in order to generate clips for Twitter. I think Brexit is considered resolved by most people. It's only been resurrected so that they can campaign off the back of it to cover for the fact that they've no ideas for solving housing, inequality, the climate, the ageing population or anything else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is Raynor taking Starmer's wishy-washy position on Brexit, cos seems a bit of a poor replacement to O'Brien if she follows the party line.

What's the alternative? The genius of doing this via referendum was that debating the result in a sensible manner is impossible. All it cost was the stability of the union and centuries of parliamentary convention and tradition.

Corbyn ran on opposing Brexit in the most aggressive form possible, a referendum to undo it. He got the worst result since 1935. As we've seen, plenty regret voting for Brexit but don't want to reopen those wounds. Even if they did, would none of the EU27 veto a Bre-entry given the appalling conduct of the Tory party and the contempt they show almost daily for the British people?

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the date of the poll above seems to be july 13th 442022 so thats a few years away lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More wondering if Raynor was taking a harder, more dogmatic stance on the issue as someone who sometimes comes off as the Attack Dog of Labour; Starmer all diplomacy, Raynor telling it like it is. As I said, given O'Brien still gives Brexit both barrels the replacement with a Labour politician curved my eyebrow; just wondering how candid she has been.

It is the silly season. Everyone is at the beach getting fried - not listening to the radio.

But fear not - the Tories are hard at it. Johnson avoided the COBRA emergency meeting to be at a party for his chums at the grace and favour countryseat he must give up in September, so he must use it to the full in the meantime.

Meanwhile, the Tories are having a silly election to elect an unelectable leader of a corrupt party, who will be made the replacement for an unspeakable clown with no moral compass - in fact no morals at all. He cannot even lie straight in bed.

A needed requirement for success at this silly election is to be so far right that there must be tax cuts (for chums), nothing to get the cost of living down, (inflation - what is that?) we must get Brexit re-done, be dis-honest about being honest, claim success at getting things done when nothing was done, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Not sure as I only listened a short time. I don't think it will be different to the Labour line of making Brexit work as that is what people voted for. We know you cannot make it work, but better to change when you are in power than moan about it from the opposition benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Even if they did, would none of the EU27 veto a Bre-entry given the appalling conduct of the Tory party...

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119352736/#Comment_119352736

Almost all EU27 goodwill - both among EU27 governments, politicians and worse for England among EU27 citizens - has evaporated and much more than just the Tories will have to change in England.

EU27 governments says little and most hope another member state will deliver the actual no (veto) vote. But it will come.

The EU is unlikely to risk another round of British exceptionalism and negativity. Another English 'cuckoo' in out nest is a no-go for many.

It's also unlikely the EU will accept larger changes to the TCA unless England de facto accepts the full EU acquis. I see absolutely no way for England to any 'half membership' agreement. Norway and even more Switzerland are out of scope for England.

Personally I also believe England will have to give concessions beyond and above the Copenhagen criteria. These will have to be redrawn to avoid future Poland and Hungary like calamities.

Global taxation and stricter directives against tax evasion will inevitable have to be accepted - as the tax money is badly needed by all countries - EU or non-EU.

Lars 😀

PS! Ireland and the frontline states to Russia/Belarus may just now have strong interest in the EU-UK relations, but very many other EU members do not.

Ireland/ROI trade going strong; up a bunch since last year. NIP continues to work great for NI/ROI.

I was given a box of expensive chocolates the other week, and what was odd about it* was the small label stuck on the back.

The manufacturers of the box (and possibly the chocolates although they were described as Belgian) had an address in Purley, Croydon, London. The curious bit was the tiny label stuck upside-down on the back. It said - 'Imported by: **** agencies, ****, Lisburn BT28 ###'. Now the use of 'Imported' is odd for a product to go from one part of the UK to another, like Windsor to Watford, or Dundee to Dunstable.

The chocolates were bought in an upmarket shop in Dublin, with no label saying 'imported from Lisburn' so why the one from Croydon to Lisburn? It was not M&S but I suspect something similar is going on there - I have seen 'British' marked food items on sale in their Blackrock shop.

Is this the type of smuggling that is going on, or is it all legitimate, or is something else going on? I have noticed Tesco selling small potatoes that used to be marked as 'Produce of UK' now marked 'Produce of NI UK'. Are these grown in NI or just imported into NI from GB and repacked, or even just relabelled?

Is there any market surveillance going on?

*I do not get expensive box of chocolates very often so that alone was odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Could imported have meant imported into the SM/CU? As in produce not meant for NI only but meant to possibly be also sold on to Ireland/The Continent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Remember the £350 million for the NHS like was written on the big red bus ?

Instead they are taking £360m from the NHS and giving it to Palantir despite a promise not to give them more without public review.

This comment sums it up nicely "This is a contract for a data platform nobody in the NHS is asking for being awarded to a company that has no right bidding for it spending money the NHS doesn't have."

It's the third attempt to sell off NHS data (ie. everyone's data) with no EU controls on what happens it or where it goes. (Insurance companies / USA)

The EU has the GDPR, while the UK has the GDPDR where consent was Shanghaied by requiring people to have opted out by a deadline.

Taking back control indeed.

Oh yeah was the recent law with Henry VIII clauses ?

Seems like Roger Daltrey might be wrong: Best for Britain measured a 45% reduction in European festivals booking UK musicians. Sunlit uplands here we go.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-red-tape-musicians-elton-john-b2127653.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Who knows? Don't think it is legitimate. I would expect the "real" origin of the goods is supposed to be NI for it to benefit from access to single market, not something that is shipped from edit: UK GB to some office in NI which is used for onward distribution. I mean isn't that (part of) the point of NI protocol the UK govt. want to get rid of?!

I think our own govt. really don't care at all and are content to ignore it. Three wise monkeys stuff (leave it as a "known unknown" perhaps). It is a foolish and shortsighted position but well, that's Irish politics for you.

It is when smart people in UK doing this get a bit cheeky and try to get stuff onward into rest of the EU with their cunning plan that things might come unstuck!

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Advertisement