Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys and Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

My friend bought a laptop from Curry's Irish website. It for some reason was shipped form the UK. DPD are asking for a €200 import tax. But as far as she was aware, she owjdont have to pay anything due to ordering from an Irish website.

What shojdl she do guys? Just request the laptop to be returned and refunded?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this, but these extra charges are being levied on the Irish side as they're goods being imported from a non EU country. Not a hope of a U.K. company reimbursing anyone for charges imposed by the Irish customs. My missus bought a dress from the U.K. she got a text from Fedex advising of a €30 charge, she ignored it and the dress was delivered last week, all good until this morning when she received a letter looking for the money.. I think people are starting to see and feel the fall out of brexit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

The Irish Domain registrar is pretty strict on .IE sites having an Irish connection. I think I may get in touch and let them know that Currys UK is operating an online store using the .IE domain.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Why is everyone on here suprised by Brexit and the service provided by UK retailers with shops here in the Republic.They will do anything to get your money.I ordered from littlewoodsireland.ie Who? Cancelled after 2 weeks.Item ordered is sitting a depot in the UK.They are a true online store before anyone corrects me.But the so called bricks and mortar versions are no different.It will be the same story for at least 6 mts maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

MarkY91 wrote: »
    My friend bought a laptop from Curry's Irish website. It for some reason was shipped form the UK. DPD are asking for a €200 import tax. But as far as she was aware, she owjdont have to pay anything due to ordering from an Irish website.

What shojdl she do guys? Just request the laptop to be returned and refunded?
    You can try to return but prob have to pay duties anyway and the return courier charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

beachhead wrote: »
    You can try to return but prob have to pay duties anyway and the return courier charge.

It's still with the courier. She ordered form an Irish website so shouldn't have to pay any import charges.

beachhead wrote: »
    Why is everyone on here suprised by Brexit and the service provided by UK retailers with shops here in the Republic.They will do anything to get your money.I ordered from littlewoodsireland.ie Who? Cancelled after 2 weeks.Item ordered is sitting a depot in the UK.They are a true online store before anyone corrects me.But the so called bricks and mortar versions are no different.It will be the same story for at least 6 mts maybe more.

Same as that, I've an item sitting in the U.K. for 2 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

From the currys.ie website
    Due to disruptions caused by Brexit, our delivery partner, DPD, had to temporarily pause all deliveries from the UK to ROI. This resulted in some of our customers experiencing delays with the delivery of their order.This has primarily affected orders placed between 30/12/20 & 15/01/21. We sincerely apologise for this and want to assure our customers that your order is secured and that DPD, will deliver your items by the 22nd January. We are grateful for our customers’ patience as we continue to work these issues.
    Also, due to a technical error, a number of our customers received a request to pay duty on their order. This was an error and again, we apologise wholeheartedly for the undue inconvenience that has caused. We are working on a resolution with all affected customers and they will be contacted to refund them of any costs incurred on their order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The cheek of them to thank customers for their patience, at a minimum they'd want to return the delivery charge to every customer as well.

Brexit is no excuse for this debacle, the whole world knew Brexit was going to have implications. I honestly thought I was buying something that was in Ireland.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Ordered a small vacuum on the 2nd. Tracking is stuck on 11th back to CPW. I don't have a slightest clue when and how will I get my order. I have got auto messages already: how did you find your order, would you recommend this item, yadda, yadda.

I didn't know that the item would come from the UK. If I had, I would not have gone ahead with the order. I accept that there could be difficulties but handling it with no communication is a rotten show from a company!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Merged to existing thread on this subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

The cheek of them to thank customers for their patience, at a minimum they'd want to return the delivery charge to every customer as well.

Brexit is no excuse for this debacle, the whole world knew Brexit was going to have implications. I honestly thought I was buying something that was in Ireland.

Same here, bought a laptop for my niece there a few days ago thought it was coming from Irish stock but looking at the tracking it's being shipped from the UK by DPD. Shower of cnts they should put a banner on their website warning Irish customers that some stock may incur customs charges and delays. All they have up on their site is free delivery for the month of January - Cowboys.

You'd wonder how long they are planning on operating here with the level of preparedness they have put into brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

So part of my order arrived today and there was no request to pay import duty. My ordered was split into 3 parts and 2 parts arrived today. The tracking on the 3rd part says on its way to Ireland.

Carodh wrote: »
    So part of my order arrived today and there was no request to pay import duty. My ordered was split into 3 parts and 2 parts arrived today. The tracking on the 4rd says on its way to Ireland.

Who was the courier? You could get a letter from them when everything has been delivered, they're playing an underhand game at the minute as they don't want people rejecting items on the doorstep and they're saddled with trying to send them back. Memories of the 70's and my father ordering parts from Happy Hamrax are flooding back... Full circle as they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Who was the courier? You could get a letter from them when everything has been delivered, they're playing an underhand game at the minute as they don't want people rejecting items on the doorstep and they're saddled with trying to send them back. Memories of the 70's and my father ordering parts from Happy Hamrax are flooding back... Full circle as they say...

Courier was DPD. Once the other part arrives I’m happy. I haven’t been asked to pay Import Duty & DPDs website states we don’t have to pay it. I cancelled the ordered yesterday morning that I had placed with Soundstore but next time I’m sticking local.

Update on my dishwasher I ordered on 13th Jan.

I called customer service yesterday, as I only had an order confirmation, but no receipt or follow up text etc.

The lady on the phone said the order should have been processed by then, and said she would email another dept to push it through, and I would get a delivery date within 24 hours.

This morning I got emailed a receipt with an order confirmation number and a delivery date of the 21st, and "7457 CSC Dublin delivered from HDC stock".

Anyone have any clue what this means? Is my dishwasher coming from Ireland?

(eta) just received an SMS confirming delivery slot on Thursday morning. Fingers crossed.

Mentioned as final item on newstalk 106 news at 3.
    Curry's and BREXIT.

Curry's and BREXIT.

Bit late now...

I've tagged every social media post detailing the issues (and having a good old rant) that I have sent to Curry's with #rteliveline :)
    Curry's and BREXIT.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

pgtipz wrote: »
    Update from DPD (spoke with them earlier) "ignore the text/email re: customs charges as Curry's are paying it".
    My laptop (ordered Jan 1st) has apparently 'landed' in Ireland and I should have it in the next day or so.

Thanks for this.

To repeat this for everyone reading this thread: Both DPD and Curry's customer services reps have said to ignore the communications asking to pay Custom charges.

Btw, I received ANOTHER text today from DPD about paying Custom charges, despite the fact that their customer service has confirmed that it's being paid by Curry's.

In other words, even though DPD actually KNOW that Curry's are paying the fee, they will not stop sending me texts asking me to pay a Customs charge.

So, whatever else is going on, DPD have some real problems with sending their customers correct communication. Apparently they're not able to identify which orders are from Curry's and prevent these texts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Thanks for this.

To repeat this for everyone reading this thread: Both DPD and Curry's customer services reps have said to ignore the communications asking to pay Custom charges.

Btw, I received ANOTHER text today from DPD about paying Custom charges, despite the fact that their customer service has confirmed that it's being paid by Curry's.

In other words, even though DPD actually KNOW that Curry's are paying the fee, they will not stop sending me texts asking me to pay a Customs charge.

So, whatever else is going on, DPD have some real problems with sending their customers correct communication. Apparently they're not able to identify which orders are from Curry's and prevent these texts.

OK so if i understand that right Curry's are paying the vat on the goods value and transport charges to either DPD or from their own tan account when the goods are being cleared through Customs ?

So they will be basically free circulation when the are given to the DPD delivery driver. The text alert might be just a glitch then they need to iron out in their logistics system.. When you think about it DPD has other customers than Currys and they might be still in the process of getting clearance text alerts stopped on a per customer basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I've been following this on Twitter as well as in the press. It's not just Currys, but M & S and Tesco are badly affected by this mess as well. Amazon are taking anything up to a month to deliver, whether duty and VAT are due or not. It's a complete nightmare.

With regard to my original mess? I managed to cancel the order by phone, followed up on Twitter and got an e-mail from Currys today saying my order is cancelled and the refund should be with me in 5 days. I ordered a screen from Amazon. Yes, it will take 3 weeks, but at least I know when it will be delivered and I know I'm liable for duty. But I know where I stand.

For me, I will not be ordering from Currys until the situation settles and becomes clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

All my recent orders from amazon have arrived in a few days as usual. They've only been small items. No duty thus far.

beauf wrote: »
    All my recent orders from amazon have arrived in a few days as usual. They've only been small items. No duty thus far.

Several run of the mill items ordered from Amazon on the 12th Jan, using my Prime account. Amazon shows delivery date of 29th Jan. Putting in a UK address shows that next day delivery is available.

Needless to say, Prime cancelled.

Back on topic, Curry's had better pull their fingers out if they are to meet their promise of all orders delivered by tomorrow... my order still shows in transit between DPD and Curry's Returns!

I'm going to be an angry bunny if they miss their second promise :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Has anyone got a refund, or even any contact, from curry re: refunds of duty paid.
    From their website:
    Also, due to a technical error, a number of our customers received a request to pay duty on their order. This was an error and again, we apologise wholeheartedly for the undue inconvenience that has caused. We are working on a resolution with all affected customers and they will be contacted to refund them of any costs incurred on their order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Timfy wrote: »
    Several run of the mill items ordered from Amazon on the 12th Jan, using my Prime account. Amazon shows delivery date of 29th Jan. Putting in a UK address shows that next day delivery is available. Needless to say, Prime cancelled.....

Long deliveries on Amazon tend to be due the where the item is coming from, in stock locally etc. If they are bundling items together, they will wait for the slowest package before sending it. If you don't order multiple items very close together, I've a feeling they will arrive quicker.

I suspect that and customs is causing this...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40202099.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Just got a text from Currys asking me for feedback on my return experience... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

One additional comment to add.

I got my third email from DPD today, with the following text:
    FINAL REMINDER
    There is a Customs Charge due on your DPD Shipment Number XXXXXXXXXX from EIRE delivery.

To avoid any impact on your delivery please pay the required XX EUR which is due on your shipment. Goods will not be released for delivery until this amount is paid.

This 'Final Reminder' worried me enough that I called DPD. Somehow managed to get through after 20 mins on hold - not bad :mad:

The Customer Service rep said that the email was automated, and that I don't have to worry about it. My item is still being processed and will be shipped. She also said that DPD are aware that shipments from Curry's/PCWorld don't have Customs due.

Looks like the DPD 'automated mails' workflow can't be turned off on a per shipper basis. So I'll just keep getting these mails until my parcel is delivered :rolleyes:

Hopefully this post will save other people from 20+++ minutes on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

One additional comment to add.

I got my third email from DPD today, with the following text:
    FINAL REMINDER
    There is a Customs Charge due on your DPD Shipment Number XXXXXXXXXX from EIRE delivery.

To avoid any impact on your delivery please pay the required XX EUR which is due on your shipment. Goods will not be released for delivery until this amount is paid.

This 'Final Reminder' worried me enough that I called DPD. Somehow managed to get through after 20 mins on hold - not bad :mad:

The Customer Service rep said that the email was automated, and that I don't have to worry about it. My item is still being processed and will be shipped. She also said that DPD are aware that shipments from Curry's/PCWorld don't have Customs due.

Looks like the DPD 'automated mails' workflow can't be turned off on a per shipper basis. So I'll just keep getting these mails until my parcel is delivered :rolleyes:

Hopefully this post will save other people from 20+++ minutes on the phone.

Thanks very much for this. I got the same text today so was planning to spend lunchtime on the phone trying to sort it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Just got a text from Currys asking me for feedback on my return experience... ��

I got an automated email about two weeks ago asking me for feedback on the overall experience of shopping with Currys. I filled it in and about a week later was sent another one looking for more detailed feedback, I filled that in too. I'm not expecting them to make either of them available for others to see.

Still waiting on my coffee machine, still no response from customer service.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement