Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys and Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

What an absolute **** show, so after getting an email yesterday to say my order was being cancelled and offering a 30e voucher, this morning I get a text apologising for the delay and promising delivery for the 29th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

so I got one half of the delivery this morning delivered by DPD without paying any additional taxes.

I then received a text message saying that the outstanding delivery will take place on or before the 29th January.

It was only a kettle and toaster but just to let others know that are waiting on items.

They also sent me a 10% off voucher for my next purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Surely it's illegal what they are doing?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Surely it's illegal what they are doing?

What's illegal? Sorry but don't understand...

What's illegal? Sorry but don't understand...

They took my money, gave me nothing, text me with excuses from a number I can't reply to and don't answer emails or calls.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

So, got my email this morning, why can't they simply relabel the item and resend??? The item in question is now no longer available for home delivery so its not even like I can just reorder!

Dear xxxxxxx

I want to start by apologising. Most of our customers get the right kind of top-notch service from us, but we know that this hasn’t been the case for you. We’re truly sorry for that – one unhappy customer is one too many.

We have had to recently implement new processes which caused temporary teething issues, resulting in delays to orders placed from Ireland. Unfortunately, as a result we have had to cancel your order. We are working hard to ensure you receive your refund as soon as possible and you will receive a confirmation of your cancellation via email within 24 hours.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment caused and we want to make this right. We will be honouring the original promotional or sale price for all customers who want to reorder their cancelled items. Please follow the link here for more information on how to secure this.

I want to reassure you that all issues have now been resolved. However, to thank you for your patience and apologise for the disappointment caused, we’ve enclosed a €30 e-voucher for your next online purchase. You can use the e-voucher when re-ordering your product, or the next time your order online.

Once again, I am sorry for the issues you have experienced on this occasion, and thank you for your patience.

Jim O’Hagan
    Managing Director
    Currys PC World Ireland

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Wateryway

Still waiting here, since the 5th. Promised it would be delivered on the 22nd, it wasn't.

Got a text this morning telling me it was delivered (it wasn't and the tracking says as much). Plus they said they would refund me the customs duty that I paid. I didn't pay anything!

What a cluster f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Order 26nd Dec

According to dpd arrived in their athlone depot on the 30th December

Didn't change since

I was told the 22nd despite the fact I told them about it being in Athlone since 30th

Eventually I got on to someone on twitter that seem to realize and take note that it was in ireland on the 30th

Order changed to delivery enquiry yesterday

Today when back to despatched with no change to DPD tracking , last update 30th December

Timfy wrote: »
    So, got my email this morning, why can't they simply relabel the item and resend??? The item in question is now no longer available for home delivery so its not even like I can just reorder!

Dear xxxxxxx

I want to start by apologising. Most of our customers get the right kind of top-notch service from us, but we know that this hasn’t been the case for you. We’re truly sorry for that – one unhappy customer is one too many.

We have had to recently implement new processes which caused temporary teething issues, resulting in delays to orders placed from Ireland. Unfortunately, as a result we have had to cancel your order. We are working hard to ensure you receive your refund as soon as possible and you will receive a confirmation of your cancellation via email within 24 hours.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment caused and we want to make this right. We will be honouring the original promotional or sale price for all customers who want to reorder their cancelled items. Please follow the link here for more information on how to secure this.

I want to reassure you that all issues have now been resolved. However, to thank you for your patience and apologise for the disappointment caused, we’ve enclosed a €30 e-voucher for your next online purchase. You can use the e-voucher when re-ordering your product, or the next time your order online.

Once again, I am sorry for the issues you have experienced on this occasion, and thank you for your patience.

Jim O’Hagan
    Managing Director
    Currys PC World Ireland

I'd love to give Jim O' Hagan a piece of my mind (and a few clatters).

Got another text today thanking me for my patience and telling me they hope to have my order delivered by the 29th of January.

What a sh*t show of a company.

ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

"Got another text today thanking me for my patience and telling me they hope to have my order delivered by the 29th of January."

I got the same text today - waiting since Jan 1st.

Patience running out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

I am building a project vehicle and as a result of that, we get a lot of sponsored products that we feature in our videos and facebook pages.

A company is sending us an oven that we are putting into our project build. It is not costing us anything, it's free of charge. I just got an email from DPD informing me that we need to pay customs charges before they will deliver.

It breaks down as below.

Duty €0.00
    Tax (Customs) €11.58
    Brokerage Fee €5.00
    VAT on Brokerage Fee €1.05

Total Payment Due €17.63

I have not paid it yet, I just noticed the email a few moments ago. We have had about €65,000 of sponsored parts for this project and never paid duty or fees on any of it. Seems ridiculous and makes me hate Brexit even more if that's even possible.

Is there any way to avoid the brokerage fee? If I have to pay Tax on it, can I not pay that to the Revenue myself? €6.05 is ridiculously high for an €11.58 fee.

When I think of all the things I have to come from the UK yet, I'm going to avoid this hassle and have it sent to Northern Ireland, our vehicle is being built there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

I phoned DPD this morning, 25 minute wait on hold.

I asked why the brokerage fee is 52% of the tax due, and they said it's a set price. I asked how I go about self-declaring it as I want to avoid that fee if it's not a huge amount of hassle. So they are going to phone me back. Apparently, the item is in Athlone waiting for payment from me.

If self-declaring is easy, it will be worth doing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I phoned DPD this morning, 25 minute wait on hold.

I asked why the brokerage fee is 52% of the tax due, and they said it's a set price. I asked how I go about self-declaring it as I want to avoid that fee if it's not a huge amount of hassle. So they are going to phone me back. Apparently, the item is in Athlone waiting for payment from me.

If self-declaring is easy, it will be worth doing.

There is no self declaring. You need an account with Customs, money held in that account and you are required to do a customs entry. This is what they are charging you €5 for. Their normal rate is €14-€15. The cost of importing from outside the EU.

Coffee machine just arrived and I know in my heart and soul every time I use it I'll be reminded of the shower of idiots that Curry's are. I hate the company with every fibre of my being.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Laptop arrived this morning DPD - no requests for VAT or handling thank goodness. Hopefully it works now!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭craigcharlie

Update from me:

One package arrived (my order was split into 2 packages by Curry's).

I never had to pay the Customs fee despite 3 'Final Reminder' texts from DPD.

However, I now hate DPD with a passion:
    • The package remained in Athlone for 4 days, with tracking updates showing multiple 'sorted by distribution centre' updates
    • The 'Final Reminder' texts are automated and they can't stop them even if you call them
    • My package, which contained over 200e worth of goods, was left in front of a different house in my estate, by a driver who didn't knock or ring the doorbell.
    • This happened, despite the fact that we're all at home, our house numbers are clearly marked, and my house number bore no resemblance to the house it was delivered to.
    • Immediately after the unattended dropoff, the package tracking was marked as "Delivered, received by <<my name>>", which is just plain false.

The driver just has one job - deliver the package to the house number on the label. It might also be nice if they made a minimal attempt to make sure the owner of the package is aware of the delivery :mad:

Seriously, what kind of a shower of messers are they? Thank god I have honest neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

hollypink wrote: »
    I ordered from Currys (ie website) on the 7th. I got a text about delays next day and on the 16th, was notified that it's on its way. Tracking says it's left the UK on 18th and no update since. I'm kicking myself for not checking whether Currys despatch from Ireland or UK, it never occurred to me that the stock wasn't in Ireland. I don't need the item really urgently so if I was confident it will eventually arrive, I wouldn't really mind but I'm not sure it will!

I ordered something in early January from Argos and it got stuck in the customs delays (again I didn't know it would come from the UK) but it arrived today.

My order was delivered today, finally. Don't think I will be ordering again from Currys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Ordered laptop €959 on the 8th January-Still no sign of it.
    Emailed Currys yesterday morning-no reply from them
    Rang customers services this evening -could not get beyond the automated reply
    No idea what's going on

Date & Time Location Description
    15 Jan 2021 12:38 DPD Your parcel is on its way back to CurrysPCW
    14 Jan 2021 16:12 DPD There's a delay with your parcel at our hub
    14 Jan 2021 04:11 CurrysPCW We've received your order details, but have not yet received your parcel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

pjproby wrote: »
    Ordered laptop €959 on the 8th January-Still no sign of it.
    Emailed Currys yesterday morning-no reply from them
    Rang customers services this evening -could not get beyond the automated reply
    No idea what's going on

Date & Time Location Description
    15 Jan 2021 12:38 DPD Your parcel is on its way back to CurrysPCW
    14 Jan 2021 16:12 DPD There's a delay with your parcel at our hub
    14 Jan 2021 04:11 CurrysPCW We've received your order details, but have not yet received your parcel

I’m in exactly the same position, had a 2 item order placed early jan, one half arrived this week. The other (more expensive part of order) is the same as your tracking details.

I noticed the email from end of last week with the manager apologising and offering a 30e voucher said that we’d have cancellation emails within 24 hours which didn’t happen.

I’m now in limbo, I can’t order off another website in case currys do actually deliver the item. And I’ve no refund and no formal cancellation!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Keyman123

I ordered a laptop jan 3rd. Got an email Saturday from them saying they were cancelling the order and refunding. No sign yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Keyman123 wrote: »
    I ordered a laptop jan 3rd. Got an email Saturday from them saying they were cancelling the order and refunding. No sign yet

I followed up with their customer service team yesterday. They knew nothing about the email sent to customer about cancelled orders and refunds. They also said in order to honour the original sales prices I would need to re-purchase the item a the higher price and they would refund the difference. I told them I would absolutely not be doing this and do refund my money asap. They said this can take 14 days. The shipment has been on it way back to them from DPD since Jan 12th. Joke of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have a Firestick ordered with them - been sorted in Athlone for a few days now via the UK. Hoping it gets released without fees. Unlikely but we shall see.

How did you manage with their customer service team? The automated response keeps asking for a order number beginning with 74, mine does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

GBX wrote: »
    Have a Firestick ordered with them - been sorted in Athlone for a few days now via the UK. Hoping it gets released without fees. Unlikely but we shall see.

Hope you get one with an Irish plug. I ordered a 4K Firestick from an Irish retailer last week. After reminding them to actually dispatch it (:rolleyes:) it has just arrived now.

I was wondering when I opened the package why there was a three-pin adapter included. When I opened the Firestick box it has a US plug and has HBO, Hulu, Showtime, NBC on the box!!

I'm struggling to understand how they would even have got access to US stock items. They say that they are experts in their field but I'm not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Ordered laptop 9 January, it got to Athlone on 15 January and has been bouncing around in the hub ever since. For my daughter's home schooling so I've got quite rude about the delay at this point. Got a refund of the delivery charge plus €20 for inconvenience but still no laptop. They eventually said there was nothing more they could do as it was in DPD warehouse in Athlone so go talk to them. I DM'ed DPD who got back within an hour to say they were awaiting customs data from Currys and suggest I get back onto Currys! So back onto Currys, who admitted the problem was still at their end and they needed to get data re customs out to DPD, and were working through this, but couldn't give a date as to when it would happen. At least they guaranteed that the laptop was in Athlone. I got a promise of the 22nd from Currys, followed by "today or tomorrow" three times now since then. So useless really, but in summary, it's still customs, it's still Currys, and their people in Bangalore or wherever still don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Item is on the way back to currys (UK) since the 13th from DPD.

Got the usual spiel, it will take 14 days for the refund.

Asked to speak to a supervisor, got nowhere.

Just received an e-mail after the call that stated that i wished to return the item, after explaining what the story about DPD and that it never even left the UK

Frustrated.

Buying from Amazon all these years has me spoiled, as their CS is always helpful

I have never attempted a charge-back as never had any need, but assuming it is my right to do so, i will do it if no progress in 7 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

Curxit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I made a purchase online at start of January...finally recvd a couple of days ago.
    Despite sever emails to Curry’s...other than the automated reply, nothing.
    DPD were as bad. Their system wouldn’t accept the tracking number
    Supplied by Curry’s and I couldn’t get them on the phone.
    I would never shop at Curry’s again and i certainly wouldn’t ever use DPD!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Looks like my original order finally made its way back to Currys. DPD tracking still says on the way back to Currys though.

We've received the item(s) you returned
    Hi xxxx - just to confirm we've received back from you the item(s) listed below.

Your order number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Item(s) received:

1 x xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What happens next?
    We'll check your returns request meets our returns policy, and email you an update shortly.
    Need help?
    Please visit our Customer Services pages, or talk to our team on
    1890 400 001
    Mon-Fri 8am – 8pm, Sat 8am – 6pm and Sun 9am – 6pm

• Advertisement

But when you contact their customer care, they simply divert you back to the tracking system, which in my case is still showing the last action on the 15th January. I have emailed them, used twitter to contact them-no reply.

Advertisement