Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Student paramedic 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jimmy113

Anymore news on the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Anymore news on the interviews?

Nothing yet. Today was the deadline for the eligibility sift material. Hopefully we'll hear sonny enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

I'm hoping we will hear by the end of the month.
    Do they give you enough time to prepare?
    I'm nervous about the competency questions as I don't have much healthcare experience as some people I'd say.

Shau_98 wrote: »
    I'm hoping we will hear by the end of the month.
    Do they give you enough time to prepare?
    I'm nervous about the competency questions as I don't have much healthcare experience as some people I'd say.

I have no healthcare experience either. From everything I have read that shouldn't matter! Let's hope so anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

JBB2020 wrote: »
    I have no healthcare experience either. From everything I have read that shouldn't matter! Let's hope so anyway!
    it does not matter the context as long as your competences show team work, decision making, problem solving etx

i have done the interview plus a few more after for promotion / courses and so on.

best advice i can give is to have a back up story for each competency, if the interviewer does not think your essay will score you high enough they will give you every chance to get the ticks on the page by asking for another example

• Advertisement

Totally agree with Sparkey on this. My interview went fine. Very nice people on the panel. As previously advised by Sparkey have another example for each competency section. They may ask you for another example so always good to have a backup. I also had no background in medical but I was involved in the Civil Defence AUX Fire Service and I used this to draw on experience in being part of a team etc. Most of the questions can relate back to any job you currently have. It doesn’t have to be emergency service related.

Just be yourself and try to relax and you’ll fly it. They really are not there to catch you out.

Anyone heard any updates?

No updates yet. Patiently waiting.

Can anyone tell me what the course is like for the first 12 weeks, just info and modules etc.

Also do many people commute to the place or stay Mon-Friday in hotels or digs? I live around 2hrs from ballinasloe and tallagaht and I do have a family of my own. But preemptive asking these but just curious.

Can anyone tell me what the course is like for the first 12 weeks, just info and modules etc.

Also do many people commute to the place or stay Mon-Friday in hotels or digs? I live around 2hrs from ballinasloe and tallagaht and I do have a family of my own. But preemptive asking these but just curious.

Patiently waiting.... Fair play to you.... I'm checking my emails and this forum at least 20 times a day....
    I'm definitely not waiting patiently! 😂 😂

Great questions... I'd be interested too. I've a family too.

https://www.phecit.ie/PHECC/Education_and_careers/Education_and_training_standards/PHECC/Education_and_careers/Education_and_Training_Standards/Education_and_Training_Standards.aspx?hkey=1733bd9d-1ea7-41e7-af20-8ab0f40ab846

this is a link to the education standards by phecc. nas will train you phecc will examine and the information they want you to have is in that document. the 12 weeks will involve breaking down the body systems and patient assessment skills needed to reach those standards.

i would suggest commuting that distance on top of study is not reasonable. shearwater hotel in ballinasloe do a €40 a night deal. tallaght is about €60. i believe there are house shares available and that current students do this but i have no direct information.

the start of the process can be hard on family life, esp of moved away for internship. i would say worth it in the end though.

• Advertisement

Sparkey84 wrote: »
    https://www.phecit.ie/PHECC/Education_and_careers/Education_and_training_standards/PHECC/Education_and_careers/Education_and_Training_Standards/Education_and_Training_Standards.aspx?hkey=1733bd9d-1ea7-41e7-af20-8ab0f40ab846

this is a link to the education standards by phecc. nas will train you phecc will examine and the information they want you to have is in that document. the 12 weeks will involve breaking down the body systems and patient assessment skills needed to reach those standards.

i would suggest commuting that distance on top of study is not reasonable. shearwater hotel in ballinasloe do a €40 a night deal. tallaght is about €60. i believe there are house shares available and that current students do this but i have no direct information.

the start of the process can be hard on family life, esp of moved away for internship. i would say worth it in the end though.

Thank you so much!
    I was thinking the commute would be very draining. If I do succeed in getting on the panel and securing a position Id probably try look at house sharing or digs. Might put a strain on family life but just got to look at the big picture. Thank God my partner is on board for moving for the internships as you can be sent anywhere!

i would be hesitant to move a full family unit for internship. at the very least spend the first month in short term bnb etx. at that point you will have a better chance to judge your chances of getting home based on how many looking to get in where you are and when next class getting out etx. most people do get back home within middle of internship.

Sparkey84 wrote: »
    i would be hesitant to move a full family unit for internship. at the very least spend the first month in short term bnb etx. at that point you will have a better chance to judge your chances of getting home based on how many looking to get in where you are and when next class getting out etx. most people do get back home within middle of internship.

Oh god I assumed internship was for the last two years and would be in the same place. Maybe we wouldn't have to move after all, at least for a while.
    Definitly will keep in mind staying in short term accomodation in the beginning to get a feel of if there's a chance of being kept on in the area.

Oh god I assumed internship was for the last two years and would be in the same place. Maybe we wouldn't have to move after all, at least for a while.
    Definitly will keep in mind staying in short term accomodation in the beginning to get a feel of if there's a chance of being kept on in the area.

on average over past few years a good number of interns have either gotten the right region or gotten home within 6 months, there is of course some exceptions to every rule. and it os the exception you will hear about.

I just got confirmation that I've passed the eligibility sift and will be going for interview. There is no mention of bands. Just that interviews will be the week of the 12th of April!

Delighted!!

I just got confirmation that I've passed the eligibility sift and will be going for interview. There is no mention of bands. Just that interviews will be the week of the 12th of April!

Delighted!!

Yeah I'm the same! Letters should be here by the 31st.

Yeah I'm the same! Letters should be here by the 31st.

That's great

Well done to all getting to interviews ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Interivew dates are out. Good luck everyone!

Wonder how long others waited from the end of interivews till fi ding out they're successful or unsuccessful and panel placement

Interivew dates are out. Good luck everyone!

Wonder how long others waited from the end of interivews till fi ding out they're successful or unsuccessful and panel placement

Hi, I was interviewed on a Monday and was told by that Wednesday! That might have been because they had originally delayed the interviews because of COVID.

Best of luck all. Let us know if they say anything about the next start date

• Advertisement

Hi, I was interviewed on a Monday and was told by that Wednesday! That might have been because they had originally delayed the interviews because of COVID.

Best of luck all. Let us know if they say anything about the next start date

Wow, that was quick! You were given a panel place that quickly?

Wow, that was quick! You were given a panel place that quickly?

Yes, I think there was huge pressure on after all the delays COVID caused. It ended up being a very long process due to COVID. I applied on the 30th of Jan 2020. Sat the aptitude test on the 12th of March (just before COVID hit) had my interview in December in 2020 and was told within the week and had the job and would be starting on the 11th of Jan 2021. I had to defer my placement this time around but remain on the panel.

I will definitely mention start dates if they tell us.

I wonder how many have applied and gotten this far. I am very nervous about this interview. Any tips?

I will definitely mention start dates if they tell us.

I wonder how many have applied and gotten this far. I am very nervous about this interview. Any tips?

Just have your examples learned off and have another example for each in case they ask or don’t think the one you have provided is not doing you justice! Be yourself and you’ll fly it. They were lovely people when I was doing mine. Not there to try and catch you out. Know how NAS works and the structure of the organisation.

Just have your examples learned off and have another example for each in case they ask or don’t think the one you have provided is not doing you justice! Be yourself and you’ll fly it. They were lovely people when I was doing mine. Not there to try and catch you out. Know how NAS works and the structure of the organisation.

+1 for knowing the structure of NAS, i was asked all about that but had forgotten all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Use the STAR approach for each of your competencies. It will help you present them better when questioned in the interview.

Situation
    Task
    Action
    Result

Throw in the "buzz" words written in the pre employment pack weather its teamwork, leadership, communication etc and have your examples practiced like a script so its conversational. The last thing you want is to look like your looking to the sky for a sentence to pull out of thin air while saying errrmm, ummm ehhh etc.

Thanks guys! Is there ever scenario based questions? Like a person has fallen and is disorientated what would you do?
    Just want to be prepared for anything that comes up :)

Thanks guys! Is there ever scenario based questions? Like a person has fallen and is disorientated what would you do?
    Just want to be prepared for anything that comes up :)

I don’t think so. I wasn’t asked any. Might not be fair to ask someone questions like that if they have no medical experience

Yeah it definitely wouldn't be fair, especially since its a student paramedic position.

Id say it will just be competencies.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice on the interview.... I have to say I'm feeling the nerves already and it's more than a week away!!

I don't have a great track record with interviews :(

Advertisement