Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Student paramedic 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jimmy113

GravyD wrote: »
    Hi all,

New to this thread. Congrats to everybody on their progress so far.

I'm considering taking the leap into the paramedic world myself. Unfortunately I didn't do a science subject for my leaving cert many moons ago but I believe an EMT certificate can be used in lieu of a science subject.

I've yet to obtain an EMT cert but am considering signing up to a private course as soon as I can.

Has anybody else got any experience with taking this route?
    Have you got your C1 licence yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GravyD

Shau_98 wrote: »
    Pretty sure if you passed all your LC subjects and obtain an EMT certificate then you fill the requirements. Just make sure you have your C1 license too.

Apologies, I should have included that in the original post. I don't have the C1 yet but will make sure I have that before applying. Realistically I'd imagine it will be next year by the time I'll be in a position to apply as the EMT course goes on until November.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

Apologies, I should have included that in the original post. I don't have the C1 yet but will make sure I have that before applying. Realistically I'd imagine it will be next year by the time I'll be in a position to apply as the EMT course goes on until November.

I'd say you should book your theory for the truck asap as there's probably a giant back log due to covid 😊

Also if you go onto the NAS site and look up student Paramedic there’s a lot of material on what the requirements are. I think it goes into some detail in respect of what they will take in place of a science subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GravyD

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Also if you go onto the NAS site and look up student Paramedic there’s a lot of material on what the requirements are. I think it goes into some detail in respect of what they will take in place of a science subject.

"*A Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) EMT Certificate is acceptable in lieu of Science subject"

That's the quote from the recruitment handbook regarding the absence of a science subject so that's reassuring. It will cost a few bob but it will also offer a little glimpse into what's ahead so well worth it.

• Advertisement

"*A Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) EMT Certificate is acceptable in lieu of Science subject"

That's the quote from the recruitment handbook regarding the absence of a science subject so that's reassuring. It will cost a few bob but it will also offer a little glimpse into what's ahead so well worth it.
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

Hi all,

New to this thread. Congrats to everybody on their progress so far.

I'm considering taking the leap into the paramedic world myself. Unfortunately I didn't do a science subject for my leaving cert many moons ago but I believe an EMT certificate can be used in lieu of a science subject.

I've yet to obtain an EMT cert but am considering signing up to a private course as soon as I can.

Has anybody else got any experience with taking this route?

Good luck going forward... As Shau98 said, I'd definitely get started on the driving licence, that will be by far the longest step!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Medt123

They will probably email you with an EOI (expression of interest) once the panel is live.

Hopefully we all get good news soon!

Do we know if the EOI will be emailed or sent by post?

Medt123 wrote: »
    Do we know if the EOI will be emailed or sent by post?

Not sure to be honest. They might follow the same process as confirming same by post as they did with the interviews.

I'm actually like a hen on a hot griddle. I think it's the fact we have no idea when we will hear could be next week could be a few months away. I think it's the fact that I know I am almost a paramedic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

I'm actually like a hen on a hot griddle. I think it's the fact we have no idea when we will hear could be next week could be a few months away. I think it's the fact that I know I am almost a paramedic

Depending on your panel place, you'll get an EOI by email. I signed up to get a text message as well which usually came a few minutes before the email. You get an EOI for every college and they are normally sent out within a few minutes/ hours of each other.
    I got an email in October and started in January.
    An EOI email doesn't necessarily mean you'll get into the class though. Although if you have no preference to where you go you're in for a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Welcome to life on a public sector panel. It was the same for everyone before you and most likely everyone after you. I sat on one panel for 2.5 years without an EOI and I was 5th on that one, then another for only 11 months.

Let's say there is 200 on the panel and the panel goes live today for a period of 2 years(typical length). If they take 35 per class for example and one starts in september, they will contact the top 35 from the panel of 200 and fill the class, if they get no reply or deferrals etc from the expression of interest they'll contact further down the list to backfill spaces in the class. So if you scored well on the panel you'll only have to wait a few months on the panel until the first class begins.

But let's say your 140th on the same panel, you could be waiting 1-2 years perhaps more if they choose to extend the panel until they get through enough classes and call your number. The speed of which the panel is used entirely depends on service need and space in the college. Now with 3 colleges active this should speed things up, but, With each course taking approx 12 weeks for the initial classroom training and then the countless hours of placements and exams there is a minimum time between courses. There are only so many ambulances and stations/shifts to facilitate students/interns so there would have to be a chunk of staff fully finished ahead of you to facilitate this.

A good tip is to check the phecc website's exam calender and see when NAS have booked mcq, osce and saq exams for, that should give you an idea of how long each class takes.

EOI are out for all three colleges. Start dates in September.

EOI are out for all three colleges. Start dates in September.

Just got it there

Can you express interests in all three colleges or how does it work?

Can you express interests in all three colleges or how does it work?

You can express and interest in all 3 if you want. Obviously some people have a preference and will only express interest in 1 while some the date might not suit and they won't express interest at all.

I got Tullamore for September. I'm so happy I could cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AGN2020

I got Tullamore for September. I'm so happy I could cry.
    Fair play, well done! Were you contacted by email?

AGN2020 wrote: »
    Fair play, well done! Were you contacted by email?

Yes got contacted by email this morning.

I wonder does anyone have any info relating to getting accomodation?

Got Tallaght.... So happy!!

• Advertisement

I got Tallaght too. I’m over the moon

JBB2020 wrote: »
    Got Tallaght.... So happy!!

Congrats

What time did ye get emailed?

What time did ye get emailed?

The email came in at 11:19 this morning

I'm delighted we all got our places! Good luck everyone

I got Tallaght too. I’m over the moon

Congratulations... Looking forward to meeting you :)

Hi guys,
    I was on to the guy who owns Ballycommon house which some people used in Tullamore last year. €100 a week which includes all bills and linden changed on weekends if three of us share an apartment which has two bed rooms with 4 beds, or €150 a week for two people. There is an added €20 a week for 4 people sharing. 8 minutes away from the college and he seems lovely. Attached a link to show pictures

Just wondering if anyone would be up for sharing or know of anyone who got Tullamore who isn't in boreds.ie
    https://www.booking.com/hotel/ie/ballycommon-house.en-gb.html

Can someone remind me of the shift pattern again. I know it’s 12 hour shifts but is it 8-8?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

Can someone remind me of the shift pattern again. I know it’s 12 hour shifts but is it 8-8?

Shift patterns can vary across the country. Shifts can be 8/9/10/11/12 hours long and have varying start and finishing times.

Most stations have a 12 hour shift pattern that starts at 7 and/or 8. Others start at 9/10/11/12 and might be 12 hours. Usually the later the day shift start time the shorter the shift.

Whichever shift pattern a station uses the working hours add up to 156 hours over a 4 week period.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how long the pre employment checks take and if I should be getting any documents ready to be sent off? Thanks

Advertisement