Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple things you struggle with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

mfceiling wrote: »
    Verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, pronoun's.

Yeah not a clue.

Noun: The thing
    Adjective: Describes the thing
    Verb: What you did to the thing
    Adverb: How you did it to the thing
    Pronoun: How you refer to thing without using its name.

:)

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Banter. Always had a hard time with it.
    I'd rather have a good conversation on a topic, than 2 hours in the pub streaming my consciousness.

Also taking info in when it's described to me. It's much easier for me to take it in when i read it.

Banter gets boring very quickly. A deep dive into a topic is much more enjoyable.

Skippyme wrote: »
    Same here - I mean men have their framework and stick to it thinking they are strong and independent, yet they all copy each other with macho crap bullying other men as they don't have the fortitude of their own conviction

Seriously? I thought sex-stereotyping was a bad thing?

(Struggling?)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moslo

Understanding someone with a face mask. I was never good at understanding what people were saying but since Covid and widespread face masks it's become a lot more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Being able to drop a soft comfortable shït every morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

Remembering people’s names. I’m always squirming in a conversation when they keep saying my name and I can’t remember theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Banter. Always had a hard time with it.
    I'd rather have a good conversation on a topic, than 2 hours in the pub streaming my consciousness.
    I can do banter, but my idea of banter usually isn't what the others are expecting. For example, a group could be banging on about sport, which I could hardly care less about, but I might have some (to me) interesting factoid about the boots, or the stadium, or the history of the sport. <Insert "crickets" sound effect here.>

For me it's shoelaces. I clearly remember seeing another kid in my class, about 8, doing up a shoe in about 2 seconds with a few twists of the fingers. I was about a year younger and the laces seemed to have a mind of their own, not going where I pushed or pulled them. This still happens to me sometimes, many years later.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Small talk. Never had a handle on it, and doubt I ever will.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

I’m 47, and I can’t read an analog clock. I understand the concept fine, but I can’t just look at one and instantly tell the time. Ive had a digital watch since I was 7, and I’ve never been in a position where I’ve had to rely on an analog clock to tell me the time.

Reminds me of a story my brother told some years back. He had a garage and he took on a young lad to give him a hand. Anywhooo the lad was under a car taking off an exhaust when he shouted from beneath. 'I can't get the nuts off'.
    My bro said, 'are you turning them clockwise or anti clockwise'.
    There was a bit of a pause and then the young lad said, 'ermmm, I dunno, I've only got a digital'.
    That was his last day, poor lad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I can’t whistle or click my fingers properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Skippyme

storker wrote: »
    Seriously? I thought sex-stereotyping was a bad thing?

(Struggling?)

Hi Storker, yes it is a bad thing ... but that would be like saying don't call chauvinists out. Stereotyping is what they believe should be reality like Man Up attitude, men are men & should do this and that but not the other etc.

Young guys still try to create an image of acceptable male behaviour for themselves along with lines that other guys will be persuaded to stay inside.

Skippyme wrote: »
    Hi Storker, yes it is a bad thing ... but that would be like saying don't call chauvinists out. Stereotyping is what they believe should be reality like Man Up attitude, men are men & should do this and that but not the other etc.

Young guys still try to create an image of acceptable male behaviour for themselves along with lines that other guys will be persuaded to stay inside.

Sorry, but I'm still struggling with...
    I mean men have their framework and stick to it thinking they are strong and independent, yet they all copy each other with macho crap bullying other men as they don't have the fortitude of their own conviction

...and how it's not calling out chauvinists, but an entire gender. As a simple rule, if derogatory generalisations about women aren't acceptable, then they shouldn't be acceptable if aimed at men either.

Small talk. Never had a handle on it, and doubt I ever will.

Years ago, not long after the fall of communism, I was slow-dancing with a Hungarian girl in a London night club, and was so lost for something to talk about that I swear I asked her what changes she'd noticed since removal of the Iron Curtain.

We didn't leave the club together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

emeldc wrote: »
    Reminds me of a story my brother told some years back. He had a garage and he took on a young lad to give him a hand. Anywhooo the lad was under a car taking off an exhaust when he shouted from beneath. 'I can't get the nuts off'.
    There was a bit of a pause and then the young lad said, 'ermmm, I dunno, I've only got a digital'.

'righty tighty, lefty loosey' would have solved the problem there!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Use cling film, the roll breaks my heart trying to find the start and then tear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Now that I think of it, I struggle with vertical and horizontal.
    I can't instantly remember which is the correct name for which.
    I always have to think that 'the horizon' is a horizontal line to remember.
    Same with rows and columns in Excel.
    I always remind myself that a column hangs downwards from a ceiling.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

gettin out of the bed when im supposed to

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Spring forward, fall back- this helps me remember. But I still have to work it out by saying “so what was 7am is now only 6am so I get an extra hour in bed” etc.

Yes I was told this too! ButI can never remember if its Spring forward/fall back or fall forward/ spring back !:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Years ago, not long after the fall of communism, I was slow-dancing with a Hungarian girl in a London night club, and was so lost for something to talk about that I swear I asked her what changes she'd noticed since removal of the Iron Curtain.

We didn't leave the club together.
    Reminds me of the date I had with a Polish girl years ago. We were in the pub and there was a fish tank behind us that I commented on. Not knowing what else to say I spent the next 20 minutes talking about fish. I still managed to get the shift though. She probably did it to shut me up more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Fabio wrote: »
    Can't click my fingers.

Usually not the most punctual either...but then, punctuality isn't always the most simple of things.

I mean like.. chronically bad time management in all aspects of my life! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

emeldc wrote: »
    'righty tighty, lefty loosey' would have solved the problem there!

I always think back to the Brazilian lady from the Simpsons:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/lpyL9uB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm really bad at frying eggs :(

I either over-cook them, break the yolk or mess them up when flipping them in the pan...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭setanta1000

Writing the number 8......for some reason I get half way through (ie i get to S) and suddenly my hand freezes and I forget where to go.....It's been like this for years, so much so I had to resort to writing two o's on top of each other instead of 8

My wife thinks I'm an imbecile......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I can't whistle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Giving directions, or telling my left from my right!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Skippyme

...and how it's not calling out chauvinists, but an entire gender. As a simple rule, if derogatory generalisations about women aren't acceptable, then they shouldn't be acceptable if aimed at men either.

When I stated all I was referring to the start of the sentence in that all that conform to this strategy are just using pack mentality.

As for sweeping generalisations - this is as I said the idea of conforming; in that they apply these manbox rules onto themselves & others. They quite happily pressure others to do likewise, acknowledging that it's just the way it should be.

As for the 1st point above, the majority are lead into this stereotype but the difference being nowadays men have loosened up on being as chauvinistic to women - but they still inflict it on their fellow man - TM

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

Noun: The thing
    Adjective: Describes the thing
    Verb: What you did to the thing
    Adverb: How you did it to the thing
    Pronoun: How you refer to thing without using its name.

:)

It all sounds rather sordid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Dancing. On the rare occasion I have been dragged onto the dance floor I just copied what other people were doing. It just seems like an odd thing to be doing with my limbs, even when I'm pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Antares35 wrote: »
    I know! Of all the stupid things to do, you'd imagine they should fail someone for doing that! :D

Why wouldn't they?
    I often have to do it, reversing into parking spaces etc.

Advertisement