Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple things you struggle with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Knitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Some fluid has to go in it(only when the engine is cold) but I keep forgetting what fluid. I haven't forgot that one of the things can explode though! That part stuck in my brain.

Pretty sure it's just a mixture of coolant and water (or just water in an emergency), but in my 16 years of driving across 10+ cars, I've never needed to do anything with that, that's a mechanics job! Just don't open is all I've ever known about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Same I have zero patience. Zero.

Good trick to overcome that. Hang on I'll dig it out and post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

What are things that are generally seen as simple by others that you struggle with?

For example It takes me ages to open bin liners. Just this morning it must have taken me at least 15 minutes to manage to open a black bag when changing the rubbish. It feels like I've no grip on my fingers, I can't click my fingers so I've generally put my inability to perform a simple task down to this but it can be quite embarrassing when asking people in work to open up a bag for me.

Not killing every fçûķįñg gob ****e I encounter who refuses to social distance or wear a face mask, and who by default is an expert on transmissible viruses, Trump, Brexit and the 'hidden agenda' - and who's on a PUP payment but doing a bit here and there, I'm struggling with that at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

De Bhál wrote: »
    How many days are in each month. Bar 28 for February, I have no idea about the rest. As in, some have 31 some have 30 etc....
    Just something I must have missed out learning when young.
    30 days have september,april,june and november
    Theres a kind of a rhymes to it,thats how i remember anyway
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    30 days hath September, April, June, and November. All the rest, etc...
    PMBC wrote: »
    This rhyme from childhood I still use
    30 days hath September
    April, June and November
    All the rest have 31
    Except February 28, but once in four
    February has one day more
    Don't bother with all the rhymes! Just count through the months using your knuckles and the dips between them. Knuckle months have 31 days and dip months don't. (Leave out your thumbs.) Nothing to remember - you can just do it on the spot for whatever month you want.

aid316200-v4-728px-Memorize-How-Many-Days-Are-in-Each-Month-Step-8-Version-2.jpg.webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

De Bhál wrote: »
    How many days are in each month. Bar 28 for February, I have no idea about the rest. As in, some have 31 some have 30 etc....

Just something I must have missed out learning when young.

I say this rhyme - 30 days has September, April, June & November. All the rest have 31. Except for February has 28 .. something about leap years(cant remember this bit) .. 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Pretty sure it's just a mixture of coolant and water (or just water in an emergency), but in my 16 years of driving across 10+ cars, I've never needed to do anything with that, that's a mechanics job! Just don't open is all I've ever known about it.

Really for that thing that could explode? :confused: I was sure my friend had put something into that part before. Oh idk, the car still moves thats all I care about anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

When you live alone you have to learn to adjust. I change my own lightbulbs, deal with my car, get rid of spiders. I knew one girl she was 38 and had never changed a lightbulb? There is no excuse for that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I can't spell words that end in ely

Definitely...etc. just spelled that wrong, phone fixed it.

I cant plait, i always get the sections mixed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

The words statistics and ombudsman will not come out of my mouth, bearing in mind I work for a bank and both words would be used quiet frequently.
    I had to do a presentation on some aspect of regulation one morning for approx 50 people. The word ombudsman was in said presentation at least 20 times.... I had to just go with ‘the man’. Oh how they laughed - my manager kept interrupting to tell everyone to simmer down this was important stuff and right on queue ‘the man’ word would pop up again, I prayed I’d could just keel over and die at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Really for that thing that could explode? :confused: I was sure my friend had put something into that part before. Oh idk, the car still moves thats all I care about anyway :P

Yeah, never had to. You only need to worry about it if you car is overheating or you plan a long journey in very hot weather. Or something like that. I thought it would be checked when you get a service tbh. Never had an issue anyway, thankfully.
    I say this rhyme - 30 days has September, April, June & November. All the rest have 31. Except for February has 28 .. something about leap years(cant remember this bit) .. 29.

30 days have September, April June and November.
    All the rest have 31, except for February which alone has 28.
    Except on a leap year when it has 29.

At least that's how I remembered it. It's like they came up with a good rhyming start, but then just fizzled out after that. I do remember it though, so it did it's purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

putting wine glasses in the dishwasher...those topheavy (or bottom) ****ers always fall over. i just wash them by hand now.

how to stop socks in the washing machine, just getting caught inside the door and not moving for the entirety of the wash. have tried mixing in a few t shirts and ****, but there's always 1 ****er just sitting there not moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I cant plait, i always get the sections mixed up

We practised on one another growing up. Do you have sisters? One time my house mates did my hair in kind of different braids but it took them about 2 hours. Kind of what you get like on holidays. That's one I could never manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can't tie a knot, slip on shoes my lifesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

.anon. wrote: »
    I wouldn't know how to fix a laptop, but I still use one. If anything went wrong with it, I'd bring it to someone who can fix it because I've no interest in learning how to do it myself. The same applies to people who aren't interested in car maintenance - the idea that everyone should know or care about what's under the bonnet is outdated - especially when manufacturers make everything in there so inaccessible nowadays.
    This bit is true. I had to remove half my engine just to replace the lightbulb. Even then you'd need hands like a primordial dwarf to access the fecking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What are things that are generally seen as simple by others that you struggle with?

For example It takes me ages to open bin liners. Just this morning it must have taken me at least 15 minutes to manage to open a black bag when changing the rubbish. It feels like I've no grip on my fingers, I can't click my fingers so I've generally put my inability to perform a simple task down to this but it can be quite embarrassing when asking people in work to open up a bag for me.

Put a bit of spit on your fingers and thumbs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Spelling, I'm a terrible speller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Sleeping

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

o1s1n wrote: »
    Changing the ****ing duvet cover!
    Turn it inside out, grab the two corners and shake part of it on! Then you're home and dry with the rest of it. Works every time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Yeah, never had to. You only need to worry about it if you car is overheating or you plan a long journey in very hot weather. Or something like that. I thought it would be checked when you get a service tbh. Never had an issue anyway, thankfully.

30 days have September, April June and November.
    All the rest have 31, except for February which alone has 28.
    Except on a leap year when it has 29.

At least that's how I remembered it. It's like they came up with a good rhyming start, but then just fizzled out after that. I do remember it though, so it did it's purpose.

My one rhymes all the way through!

30 days have September, April, June and November
    All the rest have 31 except for February alone
    Which has 28 days clear and 29 in each leap year

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

The Healy-Raes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I’m 47, and I can’t read an analog clock. I understand the concept fine, but I can’t just look at one and instantly tell the time. Ive had a digital watch since I was 7, and I’ve never been in a position where I’ve had to rely on an analog clock to tell me the time.

Great. Doctors and psychiatrists ask you to draw an analog clock or tell the time from a clock to determine the onset of dementia as part of their test...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Putting on a condom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Those 'Easy Open' packs of ham that I always end up cutting open with a knife

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Those 'Easy Open' packs of ham that I always end up cutting open with a knife

Hate these packets, theyre not easy open and when they are open the plastic never covers back over properly so the contents go off really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭4Ad

Sleeping

I have to agree 100% with that !!
    Should be simple !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Directions.....and indicating.....always mix up which way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Anything involving fine motor skills. My hands seem to be very clumsy for no reason at all. I drop things a lot and if I have to deal with small fiddly things, not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

For years I could rarely crack an egg into a frying pan without the yolk bursting and going all over the place - I think I've 'cracked' it now though :D

Advertisement