Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Masters 10/01/21 -17/01/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Could be a big one here from Higgins

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ridiculous game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Lifelong Ronnie fan but whoever wins this deserves it. So good. Shame Trump isn't around this week because I reckon either of them in this form could have given him a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hard to believe that they make it look so easy compared to last night's dross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

You'd wonder how at this level Ronnie could manage to break off that poorly.

Cost him the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That poor break-off by Ronnie is exactly what Ding did against him in the final frame of the last round and never got a look in just like Higgins is doing. The difference here is Ding was in free fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

This is top drawer stuff. Extremely enjoyable to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

O’Sullivan needs to tighten up his safety game quickly because Higgins is absolutely brutalising those errors.

That 15th red along the cushion there from Higgins was regal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m sure I’ve seen a higher quality match, but I’m not sure when.

This is genuinely sensational

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Something has to give, all these centuries are getting boring now lol

• Advertisement

That was a beautiful long pot from Higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

No century in this frame. We assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Not much chance of a 6th ton on the trot

Maybe, maybe, maybe

That was a bad decision by Higgins not put Ronnie back in. Only the yellow and green were pottable.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Higgins on fire. Last week at the championship league has done him the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It'll take something monumental for Ronnie to win now, not likely at standard Higgins is playing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It'll take something monumental for Ronnie to win now, not likely at standard Higgins is playing at.

Higgins won't crumble like Ding, massively against the odds now

If anyone can rattle off a couple of quick frames Ronnie can.

Higgins should win this, barring a meltdown.

eric hoone wrote: »
    Higgins on fire. Last week at the championship league has done him the world of good

Yeah 11 centuries. I think I’m right in saying Higgins hasn’t won a tournament in 3 years and a triple crown event in 10 years. Has to be time to end that run.

• Advertisement

Higgins might regret not taking on that red with the rest, but to be fair it wasn't easy to get on a colour from it.

How did Ronnie miss that short distance red? Threw away a way back I feel.

Pity there's not more frames in this

Feel sorry for Ronnie the way it finished up there missing that easy red. Those things stick in your mind.

But good to see Higgins can still turn it on and deserved winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Great potting and breaks and all that but higgins stat that leaps out at me is 96% safety success. Thats seriously impressive, the epitome of a complete performance. Fascinating to listen to him on how he's still trying to improve his technique after all these years, clearly showed tonight.

Great potting and breaks and all that but higgins stat that leaps out at me is 96% safety success. Thats seriously impressive, the epitome of a complete performance. Fascinating to listen to him on how he's still trying to improve his technique after all these years, clearly showed tonight.

That was immense from Higgins. The other thing I’ve noticed is that Higgins looks and sounds hungry and motivated. Could be his year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That was immense from Higgins. The other thing I’ve noticed is that Higgins looks and sounds hungry and motivated. Could be his year.

Yeah, does look and sound refreshed and hungry, doesnt he? New(ish) training set up, new cue with titanium ferrule, new chalk etc etc. Just seems to have freshened him up. Its such a grind on tour that the key for the likes of higgins is to stay motivated and retain the appetite. We now know for sure he's still got the game if he can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Two of the best of all time, John probably feels rightly aggrieved that he's not looked at by most (apart from the players themselves) as being on that level.

Whatever it was he was well fired up tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

That's some of the highest standard of snooker I've seen in 20 years of watching the game.

Simply sensational. John Higgins in so many ways is the player any younger player should model themselves on. Unbreakable nerve. Ronnie snatched two frames there and Higgins just kept coming back at him. I think the long frame won it for Higgins, that one hurt Ronnie. You could tell in the post match interview he was gutted. All credit to both players that was a classic.

• Advertisement

I think all this talk of new practising regimen, new chalk and all that is a red herring.

It is the metal side of the game top snooker players seem to have no interest in. Just like Murphy playing confidently the other night and falling apart at the first signs of things going wrong.

They seem to think that it's their technique that is at fault, and go to SightRight to fix something, when the problem isn't their technique at all. You can change your technique which makes you concentrate on your technique for a while but sooner or later the effect will wear off and you'll be back where you were.

Didn't Hendry say he had the 'Yips'. That's a psychological thing, not a technique thing. He doesn't need to change his technique. It worked for him for years. Many styles of technique work, so what's the point in changing to a slightly different one.

All I see these days, is pro players seeming to think if they adjust their technique they will get back to their winning ways. I'm saying that is fundamentally flawed, so Higgins may very well have a brief return to form but it will I predict be short lived.

If there is anything you can do practically, Higgins etc should try being more healthy. It's getting embarrassing now how may of them are so grossly overweight. I think they don't understand the positive physiological effect it would have on their game as a consequence. I think one of the reasons for Ronnie's longevity is the fact he keeps himself fit, and I hope he won't be swayed by all this SightRight thing.

In top level snooker it's all about psychology for me. Which makes it so fascinating other than the skill level itself. They already know how to play, they have the gift, what they need to work on is their mental attitude inc how to deal with themselves when things are aren't going their way. That's what they need to work on, not their cueing technique.

Advertisement