Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Masters 10/01/21 -17/01/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Could be a late one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Fair play to Gilbert. He may have been lucky a few times, but so has John in other frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

Brian? wrote: »
    Tell Higgins that after missing that pink

That's one shot, there was shots earlier that never should have dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Higgins not looking quite as solid as last night and a lot more misses and unforced errors tonight.

I'd like to see a Yan v Gilbert final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

newmember? wrote: »
    Higgins not looking quite as solid as last night and a lot more misses and unforced errors tonight.

I would be surprised if he ever played, as well as last night ever again. I would say Gilbert will crack under pressure he is very emotional.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

sligeach wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Yan v Gilbert final.

Yes, would think it might be that bit more of a match.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

tanko wrote: »
    That's one shot, there was shots earlier that never should have dropped.

Fair enough.

I'm sick of the talk about generous pockets though. It seems like it's the main discussion every tournament.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I would be surprised if he ever played, as well as last night ever again. I would say Gilbert will crack under pressure he is very emotional.

Looks like you're right. Missed blue and then a terrible safety .

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Gilbert really blew it on that blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Respect to Gilbert for winning that safety exchange. Brought the match alive for me.

He seems to be very up and down mentally, an emotional player as you say.

Stevie Davis used to hold a poker face. It's not a bad idea to do that to help keep your emotions in check.

That may have been Gilbert's last chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Cmon Eddie Redmane

Gilberts mistake was missing that long red to the green pocket when he was on a break. He should have just run though and made the pot straightforward instead of trying to hold for the pink.

C'mon Yan Bingtao in the final.

I think Yan is going to win tomorrow. It is like the master v the pupil. I wonder will it be a lot of tactical stuff?

I think Yan is going to win tomorrow. It is like the master v the pupil. I wonder will it be a lot of tactical stuff?

I see Higgins having an easier match than tonight tomorrow against Bing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Genuinely shocked to hear this is higgins first masters final since 2006, hadnt realised he had that pretty dismal record. Think he'll be gunning to put that right, yan to his credit been clutch at times this week but first major final is a big step to take. Think there'll be other days for him, very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Last time Higgins, Ronnie, or Williams didn't make a Triple Crown final was 92/93. Amazing.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Gilberts mistake was missing that long red to the green pocket when he was on a break. He should have just run though and made the pot straightforward instead of trying to hold for the pink.

Yeah, it was a poor shot at a crucial time.
    Gilbert is very flakey, not good when the pressure comes on.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Last time Higgins, Ronnie, or Williams didn't make a Triple Crown final was 92/93. Amazing.

That can't be true, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Unless they mean all 3 combined? If not definitely not true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Couldn't be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'd say there are very few years over past 25 seasons where one of higgins, williams, o'sullivan didn't win at least one of the triple crown events.

Potentially first ever Chinese winner of The Masters tomorrow. And not Ding.

Unless they mean all 3 combined? If not definitely not true

Yes, one of the three of them has made one of the finals every year since then. Unless Dave Hendon is wrong, which I doubt.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Potentially first ever Chinese winner of The Masters tomorrow. And not Ding.

Ding won it about 10 years ago.

Genuinely shocked to hear this is higgins first masters final since 2006, hadnt realised he had that pretty dismal record. Think he'll be gunning to put that right, yan to his credit been clutch at times this week but first major final is a big step to take. Think there'll be other days for him, very promising.

Apparently Higgins lost a lot of semi finals. If he wins he will have three the same number of wins as the Steve Davis who won the three times he got to a final. Same as Paul Hunter. Davis always regarded his own record at the Masters as poor though. I assume Higgins feels the same about his own record in it.

Higgins was runner up twice in the Masters in in 1995 and 2005. Walloped by Ronnie each time.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    Ding won it about 10 years ago.

Thanks. Don't remember that at all :o

Advertisement