Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I’ve woken up very grumpy this morning.

Why are there 3 presenters on Morning Ireland? Yes, they are spread out but is it really necessary? Don’t know what it’s like with the daytime chat shows.

What I've learned from seeing some of Morning Ireland is that it's a terrible show!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Interesting to hear the unions and developers are saying that construction is safe. People no longer car pooling, daily checks, staggered breaks and social distancing. Why shut down something if it is low risk and ultimately essential?

Some are low risk. others are not.

We want to stop movement and that’s what this does. It’s not essential. Construction is not required so the country functions day to day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Interesting to hear the unions and developers are saying that construction is safe. People no longer car pooling, daily checks, staggered breaks and social distancing. Why shut down something if it is low risk and ultimately essential?

Being involved in construction, when I hear Tom Parlon and others say construction sites are safe, it reminds me of the VFI/LVA talking about pubs being safe.

The very big sites are probably as safe as they can be. Smaller sites are far from safe (in my opinion). On smaller sites, social distancing is virtually impossible and Covid safety measures tend to be token....some signage and (usually empty) hand sanitiser at site entrance.

Main issue government/NPHET have is trying to limit a large cohort of people - 200K construction workers plus associated workers involved in delivery/supply - moving around the country on their way to and from sites (stopping off for coffee/breakfast rolls, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

DOCARCH wrote: »

Main issue government/NPHET have is trying to limit a large cohort of people - 200K construction workers plus associated workers involved in delivery/supply - moving around the country on their way to and from sites (stopping off for coffee/breakfast rolls, etc).

But you have to weigh up the danger of the Irish health system being collapsed against some lads being sickened to the guts of having to be back in home with the missus again. Hard call :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

fits wrote: »
    I have a non urgent appt at radiology on Friday in an acute hospital. Really unsure now whether I should go. I had expected it to be cancelled but it hasn’t been yet.

In a similar situation myself, have an upcoming non urgent procedure, and dont know if its still going ahead- tried to phone them to check but no answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Tandey

This is all bs. Working with guys on site, a lot coming down in vans together from the north. Actually saw one of them last night in a supermarket in Kildare with no mask on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

neonsofa wrote: »
    In a similar situation myself, have an upcoming non urgent procedure, and dont know if its still going ahead- tried to phone them to check but no answer.

In my case it’s really not a worry at all. Just a follow up from a referral from careful gp 3 years ago. I think I will cancel it. I was considering going and wearing an n95 mask but just not sure what precautions are needed against this new variant

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Hypothetically, if say 90% of Irish population get vaccinated by say next Halloween... all going to plan and assuming there is no mutations or new strains that the vaccine is ineffective against is that the end of the "New normal"? Back to zero social distancing again? Screens down, no masks, stadiums full and pubs and restaurants jammed to the rafters Christmas 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Tandey wrote: »
    This is all bs. Working with guys on site, a lot coming down in vans together from the north. Actually saw one of them last night in a supermarket in Kildare with no mask on.

We are such a tolerant society really. No mask in a supermarket at this stage...shocking. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I find on noisy sites the social distancing compliance drops considerably. I've been on site with a crowd of 5 people surrounding me within 1m, a site that was previously shut down because of an outbreak. I sympathise because I think it's very hard to comply on sites, but that makes them unsafe generally. There is an idea that construction is an outdoor activity that is low risk, that's not entirely true, at the start there are the welfare facilities that are shared, but also at some point a building is erected and work moves to fit out - all internal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hypothetically, if say 90% of Irish population get vaccinated by say next Halloween... all going to plan and assuming there is no mutations or new strains that the vaccine is ineffective against is that the end of the "New normal"? Back to zero social distancing again? Screens down, no masks, stadiums full and pubs and restaurants jammed to the rafters Christmas 2021?

All good....in theory!

UK CMO, despite rapid vaccine roll out in UK, already hinting at possible restrictions being required next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yes.

Assuming the vaccines are good in a dosage regime that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Absolutely fcukin pathetic the amount of leaks in the government.it would be comical if it wasn’t as serious.
    Fcukin jumped up gombeens tripping over each other to send out the first tweet telling all their followers that they are in the know.
    I wouldn’t be going robbing a bank with any of the fcukers that’s for sure.you’d have Leo as bag man and the fcuker would be tweeting photos of himself with the bank manager at the counter.
    A jokeshop of a setup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

In my case it’s really not a worry at all. Just a follow up from a referral from careful gp 3 years ago. I think I will cancel it. I was considering going and wearing an n95 mask but just not sure what precautions are needed against this new variant

If you can try get them by phone, I would and let them advise. Some depts are practically empty at the moment so not like you're going in to busy wards/waiting rooms, its straight to the area you need and out again and only seeing staff in some cases.
    I'm gonna try contact again today. My concern is not knowing if I will cause more hassle and stress for staff if I show up for a cancelled app, or if I dont show up for a scheduled app. At least if I speak to them I know what is the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hypotheticals for next week are unpredictable, never mind next Christmas. It's the aim of vaccinations. If COVID is just like a flu' by then, we will be living normally. If we are at 90% coverage the virus will not spread very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

DOCARCH wrote: »
    All good....in theory!

UK CMO, despite rapid vaccine roll out in UK, already hinting at possible restrictions being required next winter.

Just heard her speak on Sky news. A strong message of no return to “normal” expected this year with masks becoming a long term requirement beyond this year, similar to how Asia have done for sometime now.

However, I do get a sense that anybody in such a position as the CMO, the last message they want to be conveying to mass public is that it is that they expect life to return to normal and we can start to let our guard down as the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching.

I just want to hear that nursing homes are safe places again and the never talked about Respite services have resumed. Then, I can jump on a plane and social distance on a topical beach for a week!

Just heard her speak on Sky news. A strong message of no return to “normal” expected this year with masks becoming a long term requirement beyond this year, similar to how Asia have done for sometime now.
    It is a message they have to deliver now but the practical implications of population compliance 18 months on from the start of this are really not a CMO purview. If they've achieved herd immunity and over 70% have been vaccinated it'll be very hard to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yes.

Assuming the vaccines are good in a dosage regime that works.

No, the pharmaceutical industry said it would take 6 weeks to change the current vaccine to meet the SA strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Have noticed alot of people who didn't take Covid seriously at any time during the last year or so are now beginning to realize its serious. My own experience alot of these are early twenties etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

You'd have to be very naive to think otherwise

Will be many many unforeseen bumps in the road

People that think mass vaccinations are going to end this all by the summer are going to be very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

More now in hospital than at any point since March.
    ICU will be at capacity within days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not a hope they'll have 90 % done by then

also the vaccine removes the symptoms not the infection (as far as i understand it) so cant see how we will be able to get rid of social distancing any time soon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Also 8pm is too early, I could see people coming home from shopping in the local supermarket been stopped and asked why they are out. 9pm/10pm may be better.
    I've been doing my shopping at 10:30 each week because it's nice and quiet. Any curfew would mean I'd have to end up queuing with more people.
    Anyway, there's been no kite flying around curfews so I doubt it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I totally agree about the northern builders travelling down every morning in groups, in fact very few travel down alone. I work in a motorway services station and about 30% WONT wear a mask when they come in, even when asked to. They might be more compliant and respectful of other people’s health after this lockdown, but i doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ixoy wrote: »
    I've been doing my shopping at 10:30 each week because it's nice and quiet. Any curfew would mean I'd have to end up queuing with more people.
    Anyway, there's been no kite flying around curfews so I doubt it will happen.

The only demands I have seen for curfews is on SM, yet when any are asked about ability to enforce them .....silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I have a non urgent appt at radiology on Friday in an acute hospital. Really unsure now whether I should go. I had expected it to be cancelled but it hasn’t been yet.

Now it's the best time to visit hospitals for treatments because they're empty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I totally agree about the northern builders travelling down every morning in groups, in fact very few travel down alone. I work in a motorway services station and about 30% WONT wear a mask when they come in, even when asked to. They might be more compliant and respectful of other people’s health after this lockdown, but i doubt it.

No mask, no service, they’ll cop on fairly fast.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    More now in hospital than at any point since March.
    ICU will be at capacity within days
    They will have a deal with private hospitals sorted by then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement