Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

The Monday review might finish on Tuesday after that mess, but at least it's over and we have four points.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

That is one of the ugliest wins I've ever seen from us. Not one bit enjoyable.

They'll be a week doing the video analysis on it there's so many errors to unpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's a win but I don't feel happy after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Is this the normal stuff Connacht are producing lately?

that’s as poor a performance I’ve see from an Irish province when playing v 14 for such an amount of time.

clueless, lazy and lacking composure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

One of the worst winning performances, they looked like they hadn't trained in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

That was a struggle to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I'd have taken it this morning but in the context of everything that happened it was an utter mess of a performance. Somewhat similar to Dragons away last season.

Even in the end when Cardiff were out of steam and ideas we were still giving them chances.

It's an important win in the context of Top 8 but looking at the wider picture its very demoralising to see where Connacht are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ShineyShiney

We snuck out the lucky side of a cripple fight.

Wilkins?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Luckily Cardiff started running out of gas with 20 minutes to go. Otherwise I don't think Connacht would have won that.

Easiest question to ask: who do we think played alright there?

O'Halloran, Niall Murray and Prendergast are the only lads I'd absolutely be starting next game.

Butler was good when he came on too tbf.

Also, while we were awful you have to give huge credit to Cardiff for staying in the game, 55 minutes with 14, 10 minutes with 13 & they looked miles the better team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I thought Illo and Dooley added a bit too. Blade needs to be dropped for a few games. Leadership still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭StevenToast

A sign of a good team is when you win even if you play shìte.....this old clichè does not apply here....

Its just a sign that Connacht are shìte.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I thought Smith played an important role as the game wore on. His chasing of the kicks helped get us field position. In a game where we were unable to get anything cohesive together that gave us what we desperately needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭testtech05

It could be anecdotal but I feel like our record when we have extra players on the pitch must be pathetic?

I can remember a few instances where we failed to score against 13

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

You have to ask about the Wales setup. Will it end up like Scotland with only two teams. I know Connacht were brutal which just suggests how bad Cardiff was today at home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

On the plus side we won and it would be pretty hard to ever play that badly again

I hate when people say things like this. You are just tempting the gods!!!

Would just like to correct grammatical issues with your post. Connacht as an entity is as such referred to as an 'is' and not an 'are'

Well let me correct you. It can be is or are. If he's talking about the players on the team and not the entity it's are.

• Advertisement

I am just saying that the statement

Its just a sign that Connacht are shìte.....

should read

Its just a sign that Connacht is shìte.....

If you want your opinion taken seriously, it should at least be grammatically correct!

Who cares? Everyone knows what he means, arguing on grammar is the height of pedantry. It doesn't reflect well on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

The only good thing was the 4 points.

The final play was one of the dumbest passages of play I've ever seen; great burst by Illo with the clock going red our options then are to play it fast and look to score, or slow it down and kick it out when the click goes red. What did we do? Slow it down just enough so we've lost all momentum then knock it on with a few seconds left on the clock. Clueless stuff.

Not a lot of positives but Murray and TOH were decent, Smith is still making some mistakes but you've got to love his work ethic and how much he gets involved, could grow into a really excellent player for us.

Hope Shane is OK because he took an awful blow to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Thought Smith, Murray, Illo and Dooley were good. Very much going to forget that match and be happy with the first away win in Cardiff in 7 years.

Final thing is I never want to see Blade with the captaincy again. An absolute pathetic captains performance, rather than standing up and leading his team just whinging and throwing strops.

We really need proper leaders that be added to this group for them to take the next step. Hoped Joyce could be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

100% agreed, I'm sure he's an important part of the leadership group but should be kept a mile away from referees. He's not good at managing the relationship and has had to be told to shut up a couple of times this year. Great player for us but the playacting and moaning is painful to watch at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

I don't like having a scrum half as captain in general. A good scrum half has leeway to influence a referee lots without being captain. There's no benefit to combining that with formal captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Table prediction based on likely outcomes

Assuming Treviso, Stormers and Munster (slightly above in both level and easier schedule in theory), pull ahead

Connacht 51

Edinburgh 51

Ulster 50

Ospreys 49

Will be VERY close and this ugly win yesterday moved us from very unlikely to make it through to 50/50 for a Top8 position.

1st WE of March game to follow closely for Connacht, more than ours, is Embra vs Spreys. Losing part will make it a trio, 3 for 2 spots

Post edited by connachta on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

Highly likely that one of Ulster,Munster and Connacht will not make it into a Top 8 Spot

Advertisement