Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Draft 2021 - Discussion (and sign up) Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necro wrote: »
    He's been booked before, most years actually. Beaker had him two years ago I think.

It's a controversial pick surely but certainly allowed. For me drafting Benoit sort of overshadows the whole roster, you've got that kind of... darkness contained within so it wouldn't be for me.

But others have drafted him and handled it very well, so it's all down to personal choice imo.

Others ignore his past, I couldnt. I wanted address it to give people as reason to see how it turned out.

Whether I handled it well is uo to those who read it. I love storylines with some realism, but I do feel he did over shadow roster that year.

Out of curiosity, now that 3 years have past, how did people feel about how I wrote Benoit.

Would it have been better to address his crimes or ignore them? Did any one consider it in bad taste?

Please be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Uncle Walt wrote: »
    I’d love to draft Benoit and he’s been picked a lot in the past, just incredibly hard to write for him without it being in bad taste

I think it's tough for any wrestler that's died. I've a plan for Pillman that's probably not going to play into too much tackyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, now that 3 years have past, how did people feel about how I wrote Benoit.

Would it have been better to address his crimes or ignore them? Did any one consider it in bad taste?

Please be honest.
    That wasn’t aimed at you Joe, I meant I’d find it hard to write it without it being in bad taste

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

I think it's tough for any wrestler that's died. I've a plan for Pillman that's probably not going to play into too much tackyness.

I think it depends on the Wrestler, Benoit is a real exception to the rule

• Advertisement

Uncle Walt wrote: »
    That wasn’t aimed at you Joe, I meant I’d find it hard to write it without it being in bad taste

Oh no, I know. Im just curious.

No offence taken. Just genuinely interested how people felt as Im been out off drafting him since.

Ive had Owen and Pillman and just booked them at their best. Pillman the crazied lunatic loose canon and Owen, the intelliegent heel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote:

It was decent imo. It was handled sensitively... or as sensitively as you can be in those circumstances.

I used to be just completely anti-Benoit mind, totally was on board with the argument of airbrushing him from history ala WWE. I remember having arguments on this very forum about it :pac:

I think as time passes it might be fading though, recently I'm able to watch matches with him again even though I still feel uneasy, especially with the flying headbutts, I have to skip those.

But I'd never negatively mark someone for fantasy booking a controversial pick tbh, there are other big, huge stars who... Whilst not in Benoit's league in terms of transgressions, they have done some nasty horrible things in real life so you're best to leave that all to one side in terms of drafting.

Ive had Owen and Pillman and just booked them at their best. Pillman the crazied lunatic loose canon and Owen, the intelliegent heel.

I was about to draft Owen just before Liz did. :D He was going to be my main feud with Stone Cold.

Or use him as the blue blazer. The promos he was cutting as the blazer before he died don't get enough credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Aye I drafted Benoit one year, think it was my first year, and never did again. Just couldn’t fully enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Necro. It was a gamble, that while i felt the premise was great, the execution wasnt good.

Watching Benoit is hard now, mainly because I rooted for him so much. I wanted to see him beat Rock so bad at Fully Loaded, go over HHH later that year and win at WM20.

I dont root for him anymore and I dont watch him outside of multi man matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Please be honest.

From what I remember I think I liked it. You were pretty clear with him being terrible though admittedly I can't remember how you ended it. Am I wrong or did you book Daniel that year too?

Benoit is obviously a tough subject. He was one of my childhood favourites and I was out of wrestling when he did it so I think I've found it easier than most to disassociate the wrestler from the crime when it comes to rewatching matches with him in them. But I know I would personally struggle to book him.

Watching Benoit is hard now, mainly because I rooted for him so much. I wanted to see him beat Rock so bad at Fully Loaded, go over HHH later that year and win at WM20.

I dont root for him anymore and I dont watch him outside of multi man matches.

The dark side of the ring episode gave me some sort of peace towards him. The guy really did die when Eddie did. That journal he was keeping was devastating.

From what I remember I think I liked it. You were pretty clear with him being terrible though admittedly I can't remember how you ended it. Am I wrong or did you book Daniel that year too?

Benoit is obviously a tough subject. He was one of my childhood favourites and I was out of wrestling when he did it so I think I've found it easier than most to disassociate the wrestler from the crime when it comes to rewatching matches with him in them. But I know I would personally struggle to book him.

I booked Heyman pulling strings to get him realeased from Prison to set up the Bret v Benoit match.

Benoit the convicted Killer vs Bret, the national hero. Woth Heyman manipulating both.

Daniel was drafted and written as a protage of Brets. Daniel eventually cane to ring side and cost Bret the match accidentally. Daniel then laid out his Dad and Johnny Gargano cashed in his Contract of Chaos to become Champion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I thought your booking of him was very good but I did think he may have become a bit of a focal point for people looking at your roster which probably isn’t ideal. Probably why when I got him last year as part of a trade I didn’t give him much of a storyline but made him a high profile bad guy for a face to beat in the semi finals my IC champions tournament.

The great muta is a a really good pick at this stage, strongly considered him both of the last two rounds myself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Whoops, missed TBC's pick somehow

Player Name Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7
    Mr. Nice Guy Brock Lesnar The Road Warriors Paul Heyman Jeff Hardy Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas Scott Steiner
    Bounty Hunter Shawn Michaels DIY Vince McMahon New Age Outlaws Keith Lee & Matt Riddle The Revival Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi
    beakerjoe John Cena Jon Moxley WALTER Jake 'The Snake' Roberts Kota Ibushi Ricochet & Aleister Black Bayley
    Necro Hulk Hogan Big E & Xavier Woods Becky Lynch Kevin Nash Trish Stratus Kofi Kingston John Bradshaw Layfield
    daithi1989 Mick Foley Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly Maxwell Jacob Friedman Sonya Deville & Mandy Rose Braun Strowman Andrade & Angel Garza Sami Zayn
    Hello 2D Person Below The Undertaker Andre The Giant Vader Kane Dusty Rhodes Hiroshi Tanahashi Lita
    paulie21 Chris Jericho Drew McIntyre Randy Orton Charlotte Flair Street Profits Asuka Booker T
    JP Liz V1 The Rock Owen Hart Finn Balor MVP Ted DiBiase John Morrison Chris Sabin
    The White Wolf Stone Cold Steve Austin American Alpha Hangman Page Sunny Brian Pillman Thunder Rosa Rosemary & Taya Valkyrie
    SlickRic Kurt Angle Roddy Piper Ronda Rousey Stephanie McMahon Shinsuke Nakamura Jerry 'The King' Lawler Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen
    Uncle Walt Randy Savage Eddie Guerrero Sting Bray Wyatt Young Bucks Rey Mysterio The Ultimate Warrior
    brianregan09 Triple H Cody and Dustin Rhodes Kenny Omega Lashley Jay 'Switchblade' White Will Ospreay Jeff Jarrett
    NITRO95 British Bulldogs PAC Terry Funk William Regal Zack Sabre Jnr & Minoru Suzuki Hiromu Takahashi The Great Muta
    ShagNastii King Kong Bundy PCO & The Mountie Disco Inferno Nailz Enzo & Big Cass Renee Dupree Nathan Jones
    bennyl10 Seth Rollins Cesaro Kevin Owens Miro Io Shirai & Kairi Sane Sheamus Alexa Bliss
    A Brad Maddox Guy Daniel Bryan CM Punk Goldberg Rob Van Dam Kazuchika Okada Pete Dunne & Trent Seven Christian
    thebostoncrab AJ Styles Ric Flair The Brainbusters Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows Tetsuya Naito Shingo Takagi & SANADA Brodie Lee & Necro Butcher
    wrestlemaniac Edge Matt Hardy Mr. Perfect & Scott Hall Wade Barrett Samoa Joe Dolph Ziggler Mr. Kennedy
    Mr. Guappa Bret Hart Batista Darby Allin The Miz Fabulous Freebirds Sasha Banks Big Show
    connemara man Roman Reigns The Usos Eddie Kingston Paige Fenix Jr & Pentagon Jurassic Express Rikishi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Feel like I am changing my mind on picks far more than usual this year. Didn't have Shane-O-Mac in mind at all until I spotted Slick had picked... Best in the World Bay Bay! ;)

Looking at Necro's table above, it will be very tough to vote for a best roster this time round. Some serious belters in there with big name stars picked every round

Feel like I am changing my mind on picks far more than usual this year. Didn't have Shane-O-Mac in mind at all until I spotted Slick had picked... Best in the World Bay Bay! ;)

Looking at Necro's table above, it will be very tough to vote for a best roster this time round. Some serious belters in there with big name stars picked every round

Yeah I feel like the midcards are going to be more important than ever this time around, everyone has absolutely class upper card/main event potential

• Registered Users Posts: 85,602 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Pick made PM sent

Sorry about the delay life is getting a bit hectic just started a new gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I was wondering when OC would go. Round 8 is probably right around his level. A good pick up and looking forward to seeing how he is used

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I’m a simple man. I see Manami on a roster, and it instantly becomes the favourite for my rankings.

Benny, MJF was drafted a good few rounds back dude.

Round 3 by Daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Benny, MJF was drafted a good few rounds back dude.

apologies, plan b it is!

There goes 2DW's women's champion.

It's hard to keep up even with Necro's updates.

Was close to drafting Samoa Joe with Aldis due to their time in TNA before I copped that he was taken. Knew it was too good to be true. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

MJF is long gone I think?

Edit: missed it above, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    MJF is long gone I think?

Edit: missed it above, apologies

I'd searched MJF and not the full name in the table, silly mistake but all rectified

apologies all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Knew I shouldnt have pushed Strong out so long! Fupit anyway!

Advertisement