Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Pens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Great to see the positive updates. Nice to see that I'm not the only who refuses to live by the Bic!

Happy Writing Folks!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Great to see the positive updates. Nice to see that I'm not the only who refuses to live by the Bic!

Happy Writing Folks!

I've been using Bics while working from home. I'm sick of them, I want something decent to write with. Don't care if I have to pay a few extra euros on one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

seems to be no rhyme or reason to deliveries - I have 3 orders all under 22 euro placed on the 1st 5th and 6th from 2 different accounts and no update on any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

For those who had orders canceled why not try The Pen Place? - https://thepenplace.ie/

An Irish company struggling through yet another lockdown.

I bought my wife a pen for Christmas and it was so nice I got one for myself too. They really went the extra mile to get it to me before Christmas and even included a free refill which was a nice touch.

I don't have any affiliation with them but surly it's better to be trying to use Irish retailers as much as possible.

I feel really important when I write anything down with this pen and I can never see myself going back to using a cheap plastic pen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

For those who had orders canceled why not try The Pen Place? - https://thepenplace.ie/

I bought my wife a pen for Christmas and it was so nice I got one for myself too. They really went the extra mile to get it to me before Christmas and even included a free refill which was a nice touch.

I don't have any affiliation with them but surly it's better to be trying to use Irish retailers as much as possible.

I feel really important when I write anything down with this pen and I can never see myself going back to using a cheap plastic pen again.

If they are giving 70% off with stacked discounts then, yes I will definitely consider them - I will wait for the Bargain Alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

More than happy to use Irish retailers where it's value for money, however most on this thread wouldn't have ordered from Cross except for the remarkable potential discounts - example below; €85 from thepenplace but 75% cheaper from Cross with the available discounts (€20.80)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Are they Irish, though? I don't trust that web address....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

blastman wrote: »
    Are they Irish, though? I don't trust that web address....

took me about 4 seconds to check

Address
    Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre, Unit 317a,
    Marine Rd, Dún Laoghaire,
    Co. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Funny enough I found The Pen Place as soon as I had ordered the pens, looking for bottled ink.

I got black ink for one, but I’d like a nice blue for the other. Ordering from the UK is obviously a pain at the moment, as this thread shows, and I think technically liquids shouldn’t be posted from the UK anyway.

Every thing I looked at had ‘Please call to find out availability’ on it. All for shopping local, but I haven’t had time to call today, and barriers to online shopping tend to make me online shop elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

dakar wrote: »
    Funny enough I found The Pen Place as soon as I had ordered the pens, looking for bottled ink.

I got black ink for one, but I’d like a nice blue for the other. Ordering from the UK is obviously a pain at the moment, as this thread shows, and I think technically liquids shouldn’t be posted from the UK anyway.

Every thing I looked at had ‘Please call to find out availability’ on it. All for shopping local, but I haven’t had time to call today, and barriers to online shopping tend to make me online shop elsewhere.

Any ideea where i can get rid of a full bottle of ink? dont want to flush if its toxic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

lawred2 wrote: »
    took me about 4 seconds to check

Address
    Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre, Unit 317a,
    Marine Rd, Dún Laoghaire,
    Co. Dublin

I'll include the smiley face in future, then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

just a warning if anyone ordered the gift set.

I just tried to open the ink well that was part of the set to fill the pen and the lid/ cap was stuck fast and very hard to open, i exerted a much force as i could and the lid snapped off .

The glass top snapped off not just the plastic cap, a lot of ink around and a bit of a clean up, the ink well cannot be closed and i will have to discard.

i think the issue is that the box might have been sitting a while and the ink created a glue and sealed it up.

Mine just landed to no extra charges and I stacked all the codes! Got two gift boxes and two of the Star War fountain pens for the kids. Some deal I'd nearly ordered the Star Wars pens before on amazon for them and I've just got them plus two box sets for not much more than just they would have cost!

Have the same issue with the ink bottle though lid seems to be stuck. Haven't tried full force yet the bottle is still freeezing cold so I'll wait till it gets to room temp to see if that loosens the gumming a bit. I'll be doing it wrapped in towel though.

You were lucky could easily get a nasty cut with the top snapping like that.
    I'm sure you could pour the ink in to another small airtight container and still use it?

Any ideea where i can get rid of a full bottle of ink? dont want to flush if its toxic

Pour it into another small bottle and use away?

I doubt if it’s that toxic anyway. If you want to get rid, put it in a sealed bag in the bin with paper towel to soak up the liquid?

Ryath wrote: »
    I'm sure you could pour the ink in to another small airtight container and still use it?

Great minds...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Brendan from The Pen Place in Dun Laoghaire is great

Ordered on Monday hand delivered Tuesday evening by the man himself

Found his prices consistent with online prices and feels good to support him

Also, Cross Sheaffer Fountain Pen delivered today no customs charges! Only used NEWYEAR

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

For people who got their pens, I assume you got shipping confirmation e-mails?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

mik_da_man wrote: »
    For people who got their pens, I assume you got shipping confirmation e-mails?

Yea about 12hrs after it had already been picked up by DHL it had already been in two DHL depots at that stage and was on the way to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jayjbe

I got shipping confirmation last thursday. But tracking says it’s not been handed over yet. Also, according to dhl destination it’s going to a different county :(

Stay tuned for the next episode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DroidJoi

Can people who state they haven't been charged extra fees post their order value too?

So far I am only seeing orders under €30 passing through free of charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hhmmm?

DroidJoi wrote: »
    Can people who state they haven't been charged extra fees post their order value too?

So far I am only seeing orders under €30 passing through free of charges.

€37.21 no extra charge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

€36.26 charged €11.29

And here my friends is why I asked to state order totals and charges.

Clearly it isn't uniform.

whiterebel wrote: »
    €36.26 charged €11.29

Did you get a breakdown? The charges don't add up. If you have DHL's charges we can check what percentage the VAT was.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They made a balls of it from what I can see. They charged duty as the origin is China. It looks like they undercharged a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Folks can people say when they ordered or if they got it and were they charged vat and if they have got an email saying its on the way ?

I suppose people want to know has anyone be not charged Vat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

3 orders for less than €20 each with no extra duty charges. One was delivered Friday and the remaining 2 were delivered at the same time earlier today.
    Also the invoice amounts only showed up on my credit card today.

Ordered 3rd Jan, don't know the vat rate charged.

There is no breakdown on the order history and no invoice was attached with the costing when delivered.

Order value €37.78
    Customs Duty €0.00
    Irish VAT €6.56
    DHL fee for collection of same €5.00

Like a lot of others on here, this has been an eye opener for how the post Brexit world works. I’ll certainly be keeping a closer eye on where I’m buying from and how VAT is being handled.

A fiver DHL fee isn’t the end of the world on an impulse bargain buy where I still did very well, but whatever about a few cents in VAT/duty, courier collection fees will be a PITA on cheap AliExpress or Wish impulse buys in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dakar wrote: »
    A fiver DHL fee isn’t the end of the world on an impulse bargain buy where I still did very well, but whatever about a few cents in VAT/duty, courier collection fees will be a PITA on cheap AliExpress or Wish impulse buys in the future.

Not helped by revenue ending the €22 exemption in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Wolftown

Mine was ordered on 01/01 and shipping label generated on 09/01, but still not handed over to DHL...

I'm guessing there are others in the same boat? No engraving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I've still had no update on the shipping of my both pens ordered on the 1st. I'm a bit annoyed with the lack of communication tbh.

Puts me off buying from this company again.

Advertisement