Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Ghost walks?

Is there anything to be said for closing ones eyes and doing an auld imaginary dotmocracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I can't see schools opening.. While the argument is that the rates in schools are half the rate in the community we are heading a rate of above 2 in the community. So we send kids from homes to mix in a school??
    Not a long shut down in schools 2-3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I’m thinking it would be nearly criminal to open them now. If it were in any other context other to education it would be deemed insanity to reopen.

Who in their right mind would think sending nearly 1 million (?) people from different households back into packed buildings together? Particularly when Tony Holohan is telling us not to leave the house.

There’s too much community spread at the moment and the daily case figures are now irrelevant such is the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

If we aren't back on the 11th(more than likely not), how late will they leave it before announcing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

If we aren't back on the 11th(more than likely not), how late will they leave it before announcing it?

They’ll probably tell us the evening before

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

Driving through town throughout the week, town awash with 15 year olds congregating, drinking etc. This wouldn't happen on a school night.
    It would be criminal not to reopen schools.

What does it say about us as a country that elite sports are prioritized over children's education ?

The consequences of not reopening schools far outweigh the supposed benefits of keeping them shut.

The reality of it is, the average child/teacher will not suffer greatly from contracting the virus and if they're following public health measures in the first place, there should be no risk of passing it on to the elderly.

Most countries have wised to the fact that this is not the deathly virus we once feared it to be.

soso02 wrote: »
    Driving through town throughout the week, town awash with 15 year olds congregating, drinking etc. This wouldn't happen on a school night.
    It would be criminal not to reopen schools.

Parents need to be parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Hoboo

What does it say about us as a country that elite sports are prioritized over children's education ?

The consequences of not reopening schools far outweigh the supposed benefits of keeping them shut.

The reality of it is, the average child/teacher will not suffer greatly from contracting the virus and if they're following public health measures in the first place, there should be no risk of passing it on to the elderly.

Most countries have wised to the fact that this is not the deathly virus we once feared it to be.

Yeah, trucks being used as cold storage for bodies is a pretty regular thing. I'll stop there, can't be arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don’t get this argument to be honest. There are 120-160 students in each year group of my school. Those students (with the exception of first year) are mixing groups of 24 up to 9 times a day. On top of that they’ll be with their own core groups at breaks.

There is no way in hell a group of teenagers on the street has more contacts and is at more risk than they are in the classroom. The group you are seeing them with is the group they would be with in school, on the way to and from school etc anyways and while they may be unmasked they are at least outside

• Advertisement

You must really miss the pub? Spouting BS? The rate of transmission is heading over 2. The R rate. As to it not being a deadly virus -have you been in touch with Jim corr lately?! Im blocking you after this. Id advise others to do so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Why don't you take up teaching then? It's ridiculous to suggest that Teachers/students should go back into classrooms whilst this virus is so rampant.....The health service cannot even cope at the present time...Teaching should be done remotely until atleast the lockdown is over...

I don’t get this argument to be honest. There are 120-160 students in each year group of my school. Those students (with the exception of first year) are mixing groups of 24 up to 9 times a day. On top of that they’ll be with their own core groups at breaks.

There is no way in hell a group of teenagers on the street has more contacts and is at more risk than they are in the classroom. The group you are seeing them with is the group they would be with in school, on the way to and from school etc anyways and while they may be unmasked they are at least outside

I have to agree. It would be great to see the Gov admitting the whole situation is out of control. Keep schools closed next two weeks. See where we are. I hate online teaching etc but I kind of like living! Im sure my students feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I ignore all posters that registered specifically to talk about CG and schools, too much of an agenda for me to bother.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    You must really miss the pub? Spouting BS? The rate of transmission is heading over 2. The R rate. As to it not being a deadly virus -have you been in touch with Jim corr lately?! Im blocking you after this. Id advise others to do so too.

Spouting BS? Our "leading epidemiologists" have a lot to answer for.

In a population of 5 million, a mere 2,000 passed away WITH covid. The vast majority of these contracted the virus in nursing homes/hospitals, with comorbidities. It is therefore not the public's fault that we are where we are today.

It is not a deathly virus with comparisons to the Spanish flu proving to be inaccurate.
    The effects of lockdown after lockdown are devastating.

Why don't you take up teaching then? It's ridiculous to suggest that Teachers/students should go back into classrooms whilst this virus is so rampant.....The health service cannot even cope at the present time...Teaching should be done remotely until atleast the lockdown is over...

Funnily enough, I would have started a teaching course in September had the leaving cert gone ahead as planned. 2,000 students had to effectively waste a year of their life because of the overly cautious measures adopted by our government. This is the true human impact of school closures.

The number of patients in ICU speak for themselves, a third of what they were in April. The HSE should be well able to manage this "third wave". Never before in my lifetime have I seen hospitals so empty.

I ignore all posters that registered specifically to talk about CG and schools, too much of an agenda for me to bother.

Truth hurts don't it ?

So why is it that the government must adopt such draconian measures when we agree that we must all take personal responsibility for our actions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

With numbers so high in the community it would lead me to believe there is zero chance of schools coming back Jan 11th. Like has been said already it would be beneficial for everyone if the government would just openly say they dont know whats going to happen. It would at least give families the chance to plan, to speak to their employers. To try and figure out a way forward.
    I have heard from so many friends who are panic stricken as to how they are going to work..

So why is it that the government must adopt such draconian measures when we agree that we must all take personal responsibility for our actions ?

So a parent shouldn't take responsibility for their children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

It’s like a game of chicken. Nobody wants to be the one at fault for schools closing. The government are hoping the unions will pull the plug and they can then blame the teachers, the unions are staying quiet because they will be vilified if they express concerns. Parents can make the decision on an individual basis, so they don’t need to be the ones who shout stop.

They’ll meet early next week, tell us that community transmission is too high to open the schools and close them til 31st January. They need to announce the 9000 backlogged cases first so that everyone is aware of the high levels in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

This is a false dichotomy as elite sports continues on the basis of small numbers and specified bubbles.

As for prioritising education in Ireland? Are you having a laugh? A report in 2017 showed that Ireland was the lowest ranked in Europe in the context of investment in children's education. Normally I wouldn't bother pointing that out as it isn't really acceptable for teachers to mention stuff like that. It's just whinging etc.

But anything which puts this country, children's education, and prioritising in the same sentence is a lie. Never has been the case and things should not be judged on a lie. Decisions on schools closing/reopening will be judged by government on the basis of PR impact, and by parents on the basis of childcare impact. The cloak of apparent concern for actual education will be fairly transparent in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Can someone confirm is this an extension to the Christmas Holiday or are you actually been paid from Wednesday if you are a sub teacher?
    and will deadlines still be applicable for work ie.christmas reports?

Can someone confirm is this an extension to the Christmas Holiday or are you actually been paid from Wednesday if you are a sub teacher?
    and will deadlines still be applicable for work ie.christmas reports?

It has been stated as an extension of the holidays. No idea what the implications of that is in the context of specific contracts.

Deadlines for Christmas reports etc. are a matter for your own school. Obviously they are local arrangements. Some schools don't even have Christmas reports.

Rosita wrote: »
    Decisions on schools closing/reopening will be judged by government on the basis of PR impact, and by parents on the basis of childcare impact. The cloak of apparent concern for actual education will be fairly transparent in both cases.

Why is this a bad thing? We know schools are essential for the normal functioning of society and economic prosperity. As regards concern for education, are you arguing that remote learning is an acceptable substitute for in-person teaching? It isn't.

Schools just have to open. If teachers do not play their part in this, why should they be next in line to receive the vaccine ?

The unspoken hero in all this is Norma Foley. She has achieved the unimaginable, the seamless reopening of schools.

In February/March 2020, Covid was rampant in the community albeit undetected. Schools functioned just fine.

The unspoken hero in all this is Norma Foley. She has achieved the unimaginable, the seamless reopening of schools.

This says it all. Ignore list for you.

Why is this a bad thing? We know schools are essential for the normal functioning of society and economic prosperity. As regards concern for education, are you arguing that remote learning is an acceptable substitute for in-person teaching?

Never said they were bad things, rather that in this case - despite specious phrases - they will be the only thing.

I never mentioned remote learning. Unlikely I'd make an argument about it without mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I was amazed that at no point did all teachers receive basic instructions to make sure all students were set up for online teaching. That schools should have clear policies etc.
    We had a lack of direction in our own school so a missive from the Department would have helped.
    I'm assuming that in the background - investment in IT did occur? Please please tell me this occurred?
    This time I see this school closure going on until February. Not as long as before. Not something I want but I can't see a way around it. Can you??

There were quite a few missives stating that a distance and blended learning policy needed to be developed. Most schools with useful principals have been planning for this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

Schools just have to open. If teachers do not play their part in this, why should they be next in line to receive the vaccine ?

I thought they were 11th in line? :confused:

You are not very good at this are you? ....you have a future as a comedian though, that's thigh slappingly funny.

She achieved f all except doing what she was told by the party and staying out of the limelight:pac:

I suppose politically she did well by avoiding controversy by pretty much doing nothing so that's all she could be criticised.....whether that was her strategy or she was just functioning as a useful placeholder for an actual education minister for the FF remains to be seen

In fairness she was in no way as disastrous yet for the education system as the likes of ruari "legacy" Quinn was and will prove to be so there is that I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Try to ignore guys, hopefully then a better chance of pissing off to AH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement