Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

The cynic is me now is thinking this was a deal between union/s and dept...The trouble with being constantly screwed is that you suspect EVERYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I expected the Gov knew the reaction of the unions, hence why they didn't involve them in talks.
    Now, they can put the blame on the unions and say it's their fault.

No i think the unions got it right. I'm not a teacher who believes you should kneel at the altar of the media. Too often we want the love of a body that inately hate us. Parents don't. You win disputes by showing balls. Look at the cops. We would need longer but after a few weeks government would cave in. Thus we have a gradual decline in pay and conditions. A long dispute would stop the decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Panga

Maybe the cunning plan was to make teachers happy to do remote teaching. If so the plan has worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Now the question is if creches are closed.... Our boss wants all classes at timetabled time, for those with kids under 2 this is practically impossible. That's the real fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

Panga wrote: »
    Maybe the cunning plan was to make teachers happy to do remote teaching. If so the plan has worked.

No the cunning plan was always optics......they want it to look like they give a **** and tried but but the big bad unions etc

They got their way and a large percentage of your fellow citizens/gob****es will lap up the anti union/teacher sentiment they tried to stoke as cover....and if that gambit doesn't work it's bye bye Norma to replaced with another "minister" for education and move on to slithering put of responsibility if/when they make a balls of vaccinations etc

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

2011abc wrote: »
    The cynic is me now is thinking this was a deal between union/s and dept...The trouble with being constantly screwed is that you suspect EVERYTHING

I have a funny feeling secondary teachers will be working in June, Norma will get her pound of flesh.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Now the question is if creches are closed.... Our boss wants all classes at timetabled time, for those with kids under 2 this is practically impossible. That's the real fun.

In my ohs school after a couple of weeks of that the Students came back overwhelmingly citing stress and tteachers needed to ease off with the amount of contact /workload/expectations :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Panicked parent

Bobtheman wrote: »
    No i think the unions got it right. I'm not a teacher who believes you should kneel at the altar of the media. Too often we want the love of a body that inately hate us. Parents don't. You win disputes by showing balls. Look at the cops. We would need longer but after a few weeks government would cave in. Thus we have a gradual decline in pay and conditions. A long dispute would stop the decline.

So can can proper supports be given to child in special schools and units by a zoom call. Of course not.Their abandonment will be shameful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bobtheman wrote: »

I too think the unions got it right. But the Gov can now proportion blame on them. The LC last year was an absolute clusterfúck. Gov are stockpiling blame in case things get messed up more for June.

• Advertisement

I have a funny feeling secondary teachers will be working in June, Norma will get her pound of flesh.

Then the question arises why have online now I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Time to resign minister

RTE news : Govt abandons plans for Leaving Cert students

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0107/1188191-leaving-cert-reaction/

No word On SEN though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The probability that Norma is involved in any Machiavellianism is quite low. Abject incompetence much more likely IMHO.

amacca wrote: »
    In my ohs school after a couple of weeks of that the Students came back overwhelmingly citing stress and tteachers needed to ease off with the amount of contact /workload/expectations :pac:

We has the same experience with our students. They were so stressed with workload that management had to agree to reduce the amount of contact time we had.

Wombatman wrote: »
    The probability that Norma is involved in any Machiavellianism is quite low. Abject incompetence much more likely IMHO.

I doubt she planned it myself....shes an order taker not a giver.

Think about the sequence of events and tell me govt didn't deliberately try to get this outcome.

Time to resign minister

RTE news : Govt abandons plans for Leaving Cert students

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0107/1188191-leaving-cert-reaction/

No word On SEN though

This is all on Michael Martin. He should resign. Shame on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

So can can proper supports be given to child in special schools and units by a zoom call. Of course not.Their abandonment will be shameful.

Are sen classes definitely not opening? I haven't heard one way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I too think the unions got it right. But the Gov can now proportion blame on them. The LC last year was an absolute clusterfúck. Gov are stockpiling blame in case things get messed up more for June.

Being honest I couldn't give a rats who they blame. They can blame me personally if they want. Everyone is a lot safer tonight because of this decision, even those who are convinced it doesn't affect them. The govt would not have backed down as quick if they thought their plan was legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Panicked parent

I really hope a way will be found. These children have lost so much already in the earlier closure. Vaccinate the teachers and snas immediately so they can remain open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

My partner is a SEN teacher, and without going into specifics the hse just sent out an internal directive saying that a person who is (enter description here) is now deemed very high risk and is not to return to work (a friend sent it onto me as it describes my partner at the moment). This directive is obviously not for schools however, if she worked in the Hse she is deemed very high risk, but because she works for the department of education she is not and is expected into work (as of now of course). She wants to go back of course, I don't want her to though.

• Advertisement

Awaiting clarification on this. Did I make this up or is there a meeting about that tomorrow? That could just be in my own school - have digested so much news today my head is spinning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Awaiting clarification on this. Did I make this up or is there a meeting about that tomorrow? That could just be in my own school - have digested so much news today my head is spinning.

The INTO understands plans to reopen special schools next week have been cancelled.

I don’t share your glee

Glee is not an accurate word to describe how I feel. I'm sorry you are disappointed, I assume that is because you are a parent of a LC student.

I am a teacher of English and MFL, if you need help in these areas, please send me a PM. If I can help, I will.

I am relieved that I will be able to stay safe and continue to do my job at the same time, but I also acknowledge and am sorry that you are upset by the most recent announcement

The INTO understands plans to reopen special schools next week have been cancelled.

Oh. We have heard nothing about this yet. Will dig around and see what I can find out

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Oh. We have heard nothing about this yet. Will dig around and see what I can find out

Definitely not opening next week.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1347273228595716104?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

My partner is a SEN teacher, and without going into specifics the hse just sent out an internal directive saying that a person who is (enter description here) is now deemed very high risk and is not to return to work (a friend sent it onto me as it describes my partner at the moment). This directive is obviously not for schools however, if she worked in the Hse she is deemed very high risk, but because she works for the department of education she is not and is expected into work (as of now of course). She wants to go back of course, I don't want her to though.

That isn't good enough. Get her to go to her union. Wishing you both the best.

I appreciate your concern but what is your solution?If your child's teacher has no childcare himself or herself? If they fear for their health?

Is this just at primary level?

Jesus - they can't even row back with clarity

Let's all remember that most situations can be improved. Death can't
    However lots of patients being delayed getting routine treatment even radiotherapy.
    Treatment that will cause death. Its delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Closing all schools completely was the only safe and sane decision.
    Crazy that they couldn’t see that before tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement