Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

Scarlet for the Minister that someone else has to take that decision for her. How hapless and bungling can one person be?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Thank god for the ASTI, the worth of unions shown. An action I couldn't take on my own but it is done with the strength in numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

Thank god for the ASTI, the worth of unions shown. An action I couldn't take on my own but it is done with the strength in numbers

It's also worth noting that those who won't join unions because "they've useless" will now also be able to lie under the blanket of unity provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Fair fcuks to the ASTI SC. BIG MOTHA FCUKING BALLS JUST BEEN SHOWN.

:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭amacca

Rosita wrote: »
    Scarlet for the Minister that someone else has to take that decision for her. How hapless and bungling can one person be?

That's exactly what the Govt put Norma Foley In that position for and told her what actions to take

Now the ****storm won't be directed solely at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/homeschool-hub-our-guide-to-the-best-teaching-and-learning-resources-online-1.4206766

"The now cancelled leaving cert Orals"!!!! Did I miss that announcement??? It's in the Spanish section....

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

There should be an immediate call to get that idiot out of the Education Portfolio NOW,sad to think she was only in the classroom a few months ago herself but I'm told she had more interest in going out cutting ribbons re every dogs gathering in her area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes, the illusion is that cabinet had decided to close the schools completely and move everything online (and that should have been the end of it), and then on Tuesday it started being reported that Norma wanted LCs back to school. Never reported as a cabinet decision, always as Norma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/homeschool-hub-our-guide-to-the-best-teaching-and-learning-resources-online-1.4206766

"The now cancelled leaving cert Orals"!!!! Did I miss that announcement??? It's in the Spanish section....

I’d guess that’s a regurgitated article from lockdown one not proofread properly

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Panga

Fair play to the ASTI. Now let's hear from the TUI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Rosita wrote: »

If there's one quality Minister Foley has in spades, its the ability to get others make complete ejits out of themselves on her behalf, only to pop up from hibernation to appear to say the opposite of what's being peddled on her behalf.

She's extraordinarly stubborn, seems completely out of touch (says alot, she's actually a teacher). God forbid she was running another department.

Over to her now as one union has said enough of this nonsense.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Dempo1 wrote: »
    If there's one quality Minister Foley has in spades, its the ability to get others make complete ejits out of themselves on her behalf, only to pop up from hibernation to appear to say the opposite of what's being peddled on her behalf.

She's extraordinarly stubborn, seems completely out of touch (says alot, she's actually a teacher). God forbid she was running another department.

Over to her now as one union has said enough of this nonsense.

Its looking like she has just pulled the same stunt with ASTI although I think the majority with a bit of sense can see through her 'cunning plan'

2011abc wrote: »
    Its looking like she has just pulled the same stunt with ASTI although I think the majority with a bit of sense can see through her 'cunning plan'

A plan so cunning, you could put a D in front of it and call it a Disaster :) o the Blackadder Quotes, memories

Yes, the illusion is that cabinet had decided to close the schools completely and move everything online (and that should have been the end of it), and then on Tuesday it started being reported that Norma wanted LCs back to school. Never reported as a cabinet decision, always as Norma.

Yep Norma will take the fall if it has to come to that....and she's either the sacrificial lamb or they'll find a way to reward loyalty....potentially worse disaster (politically speaking) mitigated ...........all going to plan nicely, MM already has a replacement in mind.

Might give it to someone aligned to Cowan to further isolate that threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I'd like stronger scrutiny of the JMB now and their role in advising schools to go ahead with this disaster once the govt climbs down on this, which they will.

amacca wrote: »
    Yep Norma will take the fall if it has to come to that....and she's either the sacrificial lamb or they'll find a way to reward loyalty....potentially worse disaster (politically speaking) mitigated ...........all going to plan nicely, MM already has a replacement in mind.

Might give it to someone aligned to Cowan to further isolate that threat.

Norma take the fall? Surely you Jest, her best Buddy Meehole will protect her and besides she has a PhD in deflection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I'd like stronger scrutiny of the JMB now and their role in advising schools to go ahead with this disaster once the govt climbs down on this, which they will.

100%. Couldn’t believe how quick they were to jump on board today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The tide has turned.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

100%. Couldn’t believe how quick they were to jump on board today.

anyone enlighten me who or what is the JMB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Panicked parent

As a parent of children who attend a special school, please tell me how remote learning will work for them? Of course it won’t. These children will be fed to the wolves as they were before. Some of the comments here do not sit well this evening. How many of you will be headbutted and bitten by frustrated children missing their school. I am a member of a teaching union so I can understand people’s fears but I feel that that rights of these children are completely forgotten in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Have the ASTI maybe jumped the gun on it? Like fair play to them for sticking up for us and I am a member. But I think that school wasn’t going to happen next week anyway with all the students and parents voicing their concerns. Did they fall into the trap set by the department?

The tide has turned.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Norma take the fall? Surely you Jest, her best Buddy Meehole will protect her and besides she has a PhD in deflection

Probably not there yet but I believe she's the political equivalent of a firewall.....make a balls of this as they were always probably going to and reset with less damage after minister steps down when calls for it become rabid enough.....news cycle moves on to the next outrage fest in case the public gets too bored and switches off and they can charge the same for advertising.

It's the modus operandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Panga

lulublue22 wrote: »
    anyone enlighten me who or what is the JMB ?

Joint Managerial Body for secondary schools principals & BOMs

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Have the ASTI maybe jumped the gun on it? Like fair play to them for sticking up for us and I am a member. But I think that school wasn’t going to happen next week anyway with all the students and parents voicing their concerns. Did they fall into the trap set by the department?

I'd say not. The wind was blowing very clearly against opening. Students planning protests, principals meeting to defey opening, parents against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

So while Nurses and Doctors stepped up to the plate since all this started, people working directly with Covid19 sufferers and people in retail ect also working, teachers as usual started moaning and in the end legged it even though they could easily protect themselves and students(mostly leaving cert) from transmission. Typical of teachers running to their Unions. if they do not turn up for work do not pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

The tide has turned.

Again!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Newbie20 wrote: »

I expected the Gov knew the reaction of the unions, hence why they didn't involve them in talks.
    Now, they can put the blame on the unions and say it's their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

So while Nurses and Doctors stepped up to the plate since all this started, people working directly with Covid19 sufferers and people in retail ect also working, teachers as usual started moaning and in the end legged it even though they could easily protect themselves and students(mostly leaving cert) from transmission. Typical of teachers running to their Unions. if they do not turn up for work do not pay them.

Only a moron would compare teachers to nurses and doctors. Education can go ahead online with proper supports. If you are dying or very sick you Have to physically be seen to in a ward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement