Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Heard anything about the u18/19 Irish sides and fixtures?

Thanks.

No, I wouldn't expect there will be any though. Maybe a few camps later in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Kieran Campbell has succeeded Noel McNamara as head coach to the Ireland under-20 team. The 41-year-old former Ireland scrumhalf will discharge the new role in conjunction with his position as Ulster Academy manager with responsibility for the elite player development pathway in the province. Denis Leamy joins the backroom team as defence coach.

McNamara will return to his position as Leinster rugby academy manager following a hugely successful stint in charge of the Irish 20s over the past three seasons, not just in terms of results but the manner in which his teams played - a bold, expansive style with players encouraged to take ownership on the pitch

If 6 Nations is in summer would be good if they got more than just the 6 nations involved. If Southern Hemisphere cant be involved. Have more of the european sides like Georgia, Romania involved

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/kieran-campbell-is-the-new-ireland-under-20s-head-coach-1.4455583

Extended squad has been selected, may be announced when they officially announce Campbell as coach, wait and see.

The Women’s Six Nations and Under-20s competitions, which are traditionally run in tandem with the men’s, are set to be postponed until April and May, with official confirmation of their delay expected on Wednesday.

Championship is postponed and timings and format will be confirmed by the end of January
    https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/01/13/womens-and-under-20-six-nations-championships-postponed/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 cgq300

It's the right call but Hopefully they do reschedule them. I can't help but feel sorry for this bunch of lads. They already missed out on the Ireland under 19s and to possibly miss out now on the 20s too is a lot. Be worried some of them would fall by the wayside. Also the only chance a lot of them will get to represent their country. The under 20s World Championship is cancelled also. And most will be over 20 for next season. Hopefully they come up with something for this group.

cgq300 wrote: »
    It's the right call but Hopefully they do reschedule them. I can't help but feel sorry for this bunch of lads. They already missed out on the Ireland under 19s and to possibly miss out now on the 20s too is a lot. Be worried some of them would fall by the wayside. Also the only chance a lot of them will get to represent their country. The under 20s World Championship is cancelled also. And most will be over 20 for next season. Hopefully they come up with something for this group.
    Hard to find something for them to play but would be good if the unions brought back some of the other irish teams that used to play especially on 6 nations weekends and that could allow some of these international rugby
    The 5/6 nations weekends used to see every weekend more than 6/7 internationals at various grades. Now its really only 3 with the occasional club international.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 backcamslua

I'd say for the pack, something along the lines of:

Donnelly Stewart ANOther
    Mccarthy Murray
    Soroka Hickey Kendellan

I wouldn't be able to comment on tight heads. I think Kendellan came on at 7 in the dodgily streamed A game but I'd have to double check I know he's played most of his rugby up to eight.
    Would probably wait for training 35 names to be released -in time- there are minimum 2 names that will not feature -Have heard recently that A.N. Other declared for Wales! A good guide would be U18 Schools/Clubs sides 2017/2018 & U20 WC 2018 according to some sources!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Would probably wait for training 35 names to be released -in time- there are minimum 2 names that will not feature -Have heard recently that A.N. Other declared for Wales! A good guide would be U18 Schools/Clubs sides 2017/2018 & U20 WC 2018 according to some sources!

Thanks but can't quite follow.

How can both u18 and u20 sides from same year be a guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cgq300

That doesn't make much sense. I don't know of any prop eligible for under 20s that's declared for Wales. And also under 20s from 3 years ago has no bearing on the team this year. Also under 18 from 2018 wouldnt be eligible for this year either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭theVersatile

What a baffling comment - although I do agree that speculation on starting teams should probably be best left until some form of squad is announced. You may find issues regarding training bubbles or travelling could lead to some interesting selections

French team are in training camp in Portugal right now so a french 20s development side played Italys 20s today and french side won by a point with a last minute drop goal
    https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2021/01/16/retiere-stars-as-france-under-20s-development-team-win-a-thriller/

1. Boyle
    2. Stewart
    3. Egan
    4. Soroka
    5. McCarthy
    6. Sheridan
    7. McCormack
    8. Kendellan

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

bayern wrote: »
    1. Boyle
    2. Stewart
    3. Egan
    4. Soroka
    5. McCarthy
    6. Sheridan
    7. McCormack
    8. Kendellan

Don’t know much about Egan but soroka- 6 & darragh Murray in for Sheridan would be my only changes

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

1. Boyle
    2. Stewart
    3. Egan
    4. Soroka
    5. McCarthy
    6. Sheridan
    7. McCormack
    8. Kendellan

Sheridan played very well for Ulster in the A match on Friday. He hadn’t been one that was on my radar to start. Thought Jamie Osborne did well for Leinster, Cosgrave had a decent cameo too. I’d imagine someone with Cosgrave’s level of natural talent will kick on a lot now that he’s in with Leinster full time (and his quantity / quality of coaching has increased). The same happened Carbery, who made massive strides in the 2-3 years after leaving school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Is Hyde still U20 this year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

alanb92 wrote: »
    Sheridan played very well for Ulster in the A match on Friday. He hadn’t been one that was on my radar to start. Thought Jamie Osborne did well for Leinster, Cosgrave had a decent cameo too. I’d imagine someone with Cosgrave’s level of natural talent will kick on a lot now that he’s in with Leinster full time (and his quantity / quality of coaching has increased). The same happened Carbery, who made massive strides in the 2-3 years after leaving school.

My fear about Cosgrove is that he’s neither very big nor very fast. What are his stats like against his peers? I doubt he has one very outstanding aspect to his personal stats. That can be compensated for with willpower and aggression in players but he looks timid out on the park and from what I’ve seen of him doesn’t get stuck into tackles and the physical aspect of play.

His positives are that he’s a good passer and kicker and is good at fixing and drawing men in attack but then his decision making in defence leaves a lot to be desired. Can his positives outweigh the fact that he will be very undeveloped physically as a pro player? I have my doubts.

The problem with judging players on the schools game is that if the player excels in one age group it doesn’t necessarily mean he will be cut out for pro rugby. The age group might not be very strong across the board and the best from one year might not even get into the SCT of the year above or below him were he born in a different year. To judge against peers is a fools errand you must put him up against professional players in other countries. I don’t fancy cosgrave coming up against a Tuilagi Raka or someone of similar size.

Then there’s the question of where he fits in? Is he a centre? I doubt he’ll ever be big or aggressive enough to be a pro centre. Fullback he isn’t commanding enough under high balls in my view. He might get a stint on the wing but I doubt he’s fast enough for that at pro level either.

I’m shocked at the amount of hype he has come with judging by his level of athleticism. He doesn’t have any standout attributes athletically that set him apart like great players have. I saw several equal if not better players from Newbridge in the Cup last year and several more from the back line in the Belvo semi the year he won the Cup. There’s protectionism and then there’s realism. You can protect a player but you have to back that up with a raw assessment of how they are likely to fare in the pro game.

I hope he proves me wrong.

bilston wrote: »
    Is Hyde still U20 this year?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

My fear about Cosgrove is that he’s neither very big nor very fast. What are his stats like against his peers? I doubt he has one very outstanding aspect to his personal stats. That can be compensated for with willpower and aggression in players but he looks timid out on the park and from what I’ve seen of him doesn’t get stuck into tackles and the physical aspect of play.

His positives are that he’s a good passer and kicker and is good at fixing and drawing men in attack but then his decision making in defence leaves a lot to be desired. Can his positives outweigh the fact that he will be very undeveloped physically as a pro player? I have my doubts.

The problem with judging players on the schools game is that if the player excels in one age group it doesn’t necessarily mean he will be cut out for pro rugby. The age group might not be very strong across the board and the best from one year might not even get into the SCT of the year above or below him were he born in a different year. To judge against peers is a fools errand you must put him up against professional players in other countries. I don’t fancy cosgrave coming up against a Tuilagi Raka or someone of similar size.

Then there’s the question of where he fits in? Is he a centre? I doubt he’ll ever be big or aggressive enough to be a pro centre. Fullback he isn’t commanding enough under high balls in my view. He might get a stint on the wing but I doubt he’s fast enough for that at pro level either.

I’m shocked at the amount of hype he has come with judging by his level of athleticism. He doesn’t have any standout attributes athletically that set him apart like great players have. I saw several equal if not better players from Newbridge in the Cup last year and several more from the back line in the Belvo semi the year he won the Cup. There’s protectionism and then there’s realism. You can protect a player but you have to back that up with a raw assessment of how they are likely to fare in the pro game.

I hope he proves me wrong.

Ireland don't generally produce quick players relative to other countries, and Cosgrave looks quicker than most we bring though to me. Looked okay under the high ball to me as well, not his best attribute but certainly not a weakness. Larmour has never been great at the back (tackling or competing in the air) but is capped, Stockdale too and Lowry at provincial level. Excellent boot which is a positive for a fullback.

The hype around him certainly won't help I'd agree with that. Pretty thin and defence isn't great. Can be standoff-ish in attack when he'd be better making a quick run and taking contact, but that can hopefully be coached easily enough. I think he'll maybe take a little time coming through after gaining experience and developing physically (like Keenan), but I think he's a good prospect. Like what I've seen of Osbourne more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

What part of size isn’t the biggest factor in deciding a players future do people not get...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    What part of size isn’t the biggest factor in deciding a players future do people not get...

That's a fairly massive simplification of the comment to be fair

nerd69 wrote: »
    That's a fairly massive simplification of the comment to be fair

Irish players are getting put on their ass because they are soft, nothing to do with them not being huge, not that hard to understand. If Cosgrave is made of nails he will make it with his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Irish players are getting put on their ass because they are soft, nothing to do with them not being huge, not that hard to understand. If Cosgrave is made of nails he will make it with his talent.

Not the point. he mentioned general athleticism but as part of that he mentioned size at one point. You grabbed into that as if it's all he said and tried to paint the comment as foolish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

He will certainly have to toughen up if he is to make it at Leinster. He’s nowhere near physical enough yet. And that’s what I’m questioning his ability to become an aggressive physical player

Don't think anyone's claimed cosgrave is the 2nd coming of Luke Fitzgerald, who was ready for pro rugby straight from school.

He has to develop physically like most players who join the academy and has areas in his game he can improve like all players.

If we are talking about Cosgrave being a ready made pro at 19/20 then yes he is behind, if we are talking about him being a ready made pro in the next few years he’s got time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

With his natural talent and kicking game he could have been a candidate to play scrum half but the ship has sailed on that I guess.

With his natural talent and kicking game he could have been a candidate to play scrum half but the ship has sailed on that I guess.

Interesting idea. But yeah that ship sailed along time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Purist98

1. Boyle
    2. Stewart
    3. Egan
    4. Soroka
    5. McCarthy
    6. Sheridan
    7. McCormack
    8. Kendellan

Will Hickey?

• Advertisement

Purist98 wrote: »
    Will Hickey?

not sure he will be pushing for a starting place.

Advertisement