Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone have podcasts/YouTube recommendations they mind sharing ?
    Doesn’t have to be about stocks. Could about life in general, money, decision making, news, economy, etc.

I finished listening to ‘The Psychology of Money’’ by Morgan Hounsel, would highly recommend. I also listen to the weekly MyWallSt podcast, alongside Motely Fool Money Podcast.

The Irish Legislation Podcast is very interesting

Dan Carlin Hardcore history is brilliant, especially the eight part series on World War I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Lads, GME and AMC are both being pushed heavily by threads like this on other forums, and are probably experiencing a short squeeze at the moment. It'll collapse eventually, ye should probably think about what point you want to get out. Last one out will be in the red.

As for long term investments, GME has been on a downward spiral for a long time, if you're thinking of going long, wait till the short squeeze is over and buy lots more shares at $5

This is good advice, I don't think anyone should be buying something like GME after it has risen as much as it has in the last month. That ship has sailed let it go, the risk is not worth it. Find stocks that people aren't seeing the value in, not ones that every single person is talking about and has already pumped 300%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    When I saw this post I thought yay, I've totally missed the boat with Mara when everyone was talking about it here afew weeks ago, maybe it's worth buying now... Until I checked the chart. Mother of God look how parabolic it's gone, and how far away from its 20day moving average it still is, even with its 14% drop. 2bh you must of total fomo'd and bought when it was crazy extended, and you'd totally missed the boat. Hopefully this drop will be enough to scare you away from fomo'ing in any future stocks in a similar position. But anyways thanks, Mara on my watchlist now, my loose target for it to consolidate around the 20$ mark until the 20day moving average catches up, and get in when it continues an uptrend.

Added small amount today.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Edesa popped 34% now sitting at 27%

FINALLY SAYS I - nearly slipped a disc jumping out of my chair in excitement when I opened by Degiro

The news is that Edesa CEO is co main speaker at the Covid Panel organised by the The Bureau du Québec à Toronto, the Canadian and International Innovation Partnerships Directorate (CIIPD) and Clinical Trials Ontario. This news came out a month ago but seems to be driving SP now as people think they will announce funding news.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Kilboor wrote: »
    This is good advice, I don't think anyone should be buying something like GME after it has risen as much as it has in the last month. That ship has sailed let it go, the risk is not worth it. Find stocks that people aren't seeing the value in, not ones that every single person is talking about and has already pumped 300%

Worth shorting it probably!

• Advertisement

Jack Ma is back! Which means I'll be doubling my position in Baozun today especially if we open red

Are you not worried about the whole China Genocide.. I think it could hurt chinese companies massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Does anyone know the date for the Aphria Tilray merger to complete..? It's saying it was decided in Dec 2020 but as an Aphria shareholder, I can't find a date when we will receive the Tilray shares..

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Are you not worried about the whole China Genocide.. I think it could hurt chinese companies massively.

They have already implicated companies involved in the Uighur concentration camps. Baozun is not a company anyway involved with that side of things

Over the last few weeks I've started to look towards more long term investment type companies. Instead of fully swing trading I want to build a separate relatively risky but relatively high growth portfolio which I can dollar cost average into every paycheck.

So far my watchlist for this includes:

ShotSpotter
    Texas Roadhouse
    General Motors
    Store Capital
    UpWork
    Fiverr
    AMD
    Intel
    Cloudflare
    Crowdstrike
    Disney

What are people holding long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭jams100

jams100 wrote: »
    Started a position in skillz (SKLZ) today.

An egaming company that went public via a SPAC on the 19th of Dec.

Skillz provides a platform to turn any mobile game on iOS and Android into a game you can play with friends or strangers for cash, prizes, or points.

Market Cap 7 billion

- 30 million players and 20k developers
    - 2.7 million monthly active users
    - 2 billion tournaments per year
    - Revenue grew 91% to $162.4 million during the nine month period of 2020
    - Gross profit grew 89% to $153.6 million during the nine month period of 2020
    - Gross margin was 95% during the nine month period of 2020 (Never seen such a high figure)
    - Spending a lot on sales and marketing but they have no long term debt
    - Average time spent by gamers on Skillz is twice the industry average at 62 mins per day
    - On the advisory board is Trip Hawkins the co founder of EA Sports
    - CEO is Andrew Paradise who founded AisleBuyer and sold it to Intuit for between 80 and $100m
    - 90% of their revenues come from North America but international market is four times larger

I'm not a massive gamer myself but I know from reading up and talking with others how big Egaming is becoming, this is probably a more risky investment than I would normally make but given the potential returns and the growth that is coming in egaming I think this is worth the risk.

Risks? They have very little competition at the moment and when covid ends will it effect the time spent by users on the platform?

To the people who think you have to jump into every SPAC at the beginning!

I Mentioned Skillz Three weeks ago now up 60%
    I also mentioned Open up 40%

The idea you have to rush into these SPAC or just buy any old SPAC is pure nonsense and nothing but speculation. Of course some people will do well for a short time with this strategy but as more and more SPAC come on stream only the quality ones will survive. None the less, these gains of 40-60% don't make me feel comfortable so its probably getting time to reduce holdings in these.
    1. Covanta - Own and operate waste to energy plants throughout the US and Europe. The good: the industry will survive recessions/pandemics as we still produce rubbish, they also have a few projects going on in the UK, the bad, they have a significant amount of long term debt. They are now conducting a strategic review to see how they can exploit their assets further. Paying about a 2.5% dividend. Probably a 3 year+ hold for me. Wouldn't expect major returns on this, but I think you need to try diversify away from purely tech or SPAC's
    I also mentioned Covanta a month ago and that's up 15% this I feel more comfortable holding as both the downside and upside are less extreme...everything doesn't have to be a SPAC or an EV company!

I wouldn't enter anything above without a pullback by the way.

Doubled my alphabet holding at the end of last week and doubled my amazon holding at the start of today, I'm expecting them to post powerful earnings and then hopefully I can reduce my holdings in them back down, if they don't post great earnings fine, I have no real problem holding these long term.

Also doubled down on LiveNation, again I've no problem holding this for 5+ years, might do a post on why I think live nation is a good investment when I get some free time.

Finally to all the Intel haters out there, I exited that investment with nearly a 20% upside last week. I think everyone here bar Rigolo was an Intel basher! :D

I am getting more anxious by the day that were in a bubble, these sort of gains just can't continue
    So much for my prediction at the start of this year that there would be a 5-10% correction

• Advertisement

FINALLY SAYS I - nearly slipped a disc jumping out of my chair in excitement when I opened by Degiro

The news is that Edesa CEO is co main speaker at the Covid Panel organised by the The Bureau du Québec à Toronto, the Canadian and International Innovation Partnerships Directorate (CIIPD) and Clinical Trials Ontario. This news came out a month ago but seems to be driving SP now as people think they will announce funding news.

Hope you sold... the second Halt at $7.30 killed it. Although, I think it'll be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

UsBus wrote: »
    Does anyone know the date for the Aphria Tilray merger to complete..? It's saying it was decided in Dec 2020 but as an Aphria shareholder, I can't find a date when we will receive the Tilray shares..

I think there has to be a shareholder vote to confirm a merger first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

UsBus wrote: »

Have you any shares in either? Any other thoughts on the industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭jams100

Over the last few weeks I've started to look towards more long term investment type companies. Instead of fully swing trading I want to build a separate relatively risky but relatively high growth portfolio which I can dollar cost average into every paycheck.

ShotSpotter
    Texas Roadhouse
    General Motors
    Store Capital
    UpWork
    Fiverr
    AMD
    Intel
    Cloudflare
    Crowdstrike
    Disney

Longterm:

SAP
    LiveNation
    Diageo
    Nvidia
    Wells Fargo
    And then with a pullback Alphabet

Hope you sold... the second Halt at $7.30 killed it. Although, I think it'll be back again.

I didn't.. I'm absolutely livid with myself. its 6% now. What an absolute pain in the tits of a stock. Christ almighty, had I sold it would have gone to 10... ****

Longterm:

SAP
    LiveNation
    Diageo
    Nvidia
    Wells Fargo
    And then with a pullback Alphabet

Nvidia seems incredibly overvalued to me. But I suppose not much competition yet.

I didn't.. I'm absolutely livid with myself. its 6% now. What an absolute pain in the tits of a stock. Christ almighty, had I sold it would have gone to 10... ****

The reason it spiked is still there. It's mightily oversold and will rebound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

Sold my long term AMD yesterday after buying around $20. Currently holding tsmc and orbcomm both of which have grown well.

The reason it spiked is still there. It's mightily oversold and will rebound.

I hope so!

circadian wrote: »
    Sold my long term AMD yesterday after buying around $20. Currently holding tsmc and orbcomm both of which have grown well.

Any particular reason for the sell? I've been accumulating ahead of earnings next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

Any particular reason for the sell? I've been accumulating ahead of earnings next week!

I think their earnings will be hurt from the supply issues but I'll be back in when Zen4/RDNA3 starts to get closer to market. Holding TSMC who provide the silicon for AMD and possibly soon Intel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Hmm... that didn't last long... I am still very much in the red on this one... couldn't even get out green in the pop today... ah well, hold for another while I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

ShotSpotter
    Texas Roadhouse
    General Motors
    Store Capital
    UpWork
    Fiverr
    AMD
    Intel
    Cloudflare
    Crowdstrike
    Disney

My "buy and forget" shares for now would be:
    Teledoc, Trade Desk, Crowdstrike, Pinterest, Twilio, Spotify, Square, Docusign

Second tier of shares that I'd be surprised if I sell in the next 2 years are:
    Sea, Lemonade, Peloton, Fastly, StoneCo, Paypal, Shopify, Datadog, Veeva, Redfin

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

To the people who think you have to jump into every SPAC at the beginning!

I Mentioned Skillz Three weeks ago now up 60%
    I also mentioned Open up 40%

The idea you have to rush into these SPAC or just buy any old SPAC is pure nonsense and nothing but speculation. Of course some people will do well for a short time with this strategy but as more and more SPAC come on stream only the quality ones will survive. None the less, these gains of 40-60% don't make me feel comfortable so its probably getting time to reduce holdings in these.

I brought skillz after reading this. Thanks.

I wouldn’t be running to sell it, the hedge funds are starting to buy so it’ll continue north into the 30’s.

In relations to new spacs. Have a look at BFT and its merger with paysafe. Merger should happen in Q1. Paysafe should do well with e-buying and the change in gambling regulations in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

ShotSpotter
    Texas Roadhouse
    General Motors
    Store Capital
    UpWork
    Fiverr
    AMD
    Intel
    Cloudflare
    Crowdstrike
    Disney

Intel is risky at the moment and I work for them. Possibility they may go fab-less like AMD and just design but not make their chips..... will be outsourcing to TSMC/ Samsung to make them. Earnings call is coming up were a the company direction will likely be disclosed....... squeaky bum time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Intel is risky at the moment and I work for them. Possibility they may go fab-less like AMD and just design but not make their chips..... will be outsourcing to TSMC/ Samsung to make them. Earnings call is coming up were a the company direction will likely be disclosed....... squeaky bum time :D
    Will that be a disaster for Leixlip or will there still be some manufacturing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

gudede wrote: »
    I brought skillz after reading this. Thanks.

I wouldn’t be running to sell it, the hedge funds are starting to buy so it’ll continue north into the 30’s.

In relations to new spacs. Have a look at BFT and its merger with paysafe. Merger should happen in Q1. Paysafe should do well with e-buying and the change in gambling regulations in the US.

BFT with a nice after market rise last night on the back of a Jim Cramer plug.

GHIV/UWMC is looking tempting at $11.30.

Second highest mortgage provider in the US with Rocket being no.1 trading at just under $20

CEO has supposedly said $0.40 dividend and looking to increase

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Thargor wrote: »
    Will that be a disaster for Leixlip or will there still be some manufacturing there?

Leixlip has three fabs all running 14nm. This node is now 6 years old was expected to be finished by now. It's still at full capacity due to the 10nm issues they faced but will likely ramp down this year.

The new fab for 7nm is currently being build out there.
    Its the biggest concrete pour in Europe and a site like no other I've seen (size wise). But the thing is they haven't ordered any tools to go into it as they still dont know if they can get the wafer to work. We are expecting an announcement soon (fingers crossed). If they outsource its likely there will be huge job cuts out there over the next few years and a complete shut down possibly on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Leixlip has three fabs all running 14nm. This node is now 6 years old was expected to be finished by now. It's still at full capacity due to the 10nm issues they faced but will likely ramp down this year.

The new fab for 7nm is currently being build out there.
    Its the biggest concrete pour in Europe and a site like no other I've seen (size wise). But the thing is they haven't ordered any tools to go into it as they still dont know if they can get the wafer to work. We are expecting an announcement soon (fingers crossed). If they outsource its likely there will be huge job cuts out there over the next few years and a complete shut down possibly on the cards.

Wow if that plant closes we will end up paying 60% tax, time to update our passports and get the hell out of here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

ShotSpotter
    Texas Roadhouse
    General Motors
    Store Capital
    UpWork
    Fiverr
    AMD
    Intel
    Cloudflare
    Crowdstrike
    Disney

At the moment all my plays are swing trades or covid recovery plays.

just a thought Upwork/Fiverr are same sector, I would keep Upwork and replace Fiverr with gaming stock like CRSR

Advertisement