Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Agreed. But are flights from GB barred from Belfast? I don't think so.
    Because Northern Ireland won't ever ever ever ever ever ever stop travel from mainland UK. Fairytale stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

You can bet your balls it's all ready here, will see the first case reported next week probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Will Unionists in the North back a ban on flights coming from the 'mainland'?

Unionists are to continue flying in and out of the motherland until they drop dead .
    Arlene Foster says this is better than bending the knee or even appearing to bow to anyone from Southern Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

https://youtu.be/DDt3u2Ev1cI

Driving home for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Because Northern Ireland won't ever ever ever ever ever ever stop travel from mainland UK. Fairytale stuff.

Well are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's just 48 hours for now until the government meets Tuesday. Not 48 hours and that's it.

Stormount meeting at 9pm to discuss matching our ban.

• Because Northern Ireland won't ever ever ever ever ever ever stop travel from mainland UK. Fairytale stuff.

They wouldn’t be allowed.

Remember at all times, NI has to answer to UK Parliament, not the Dàil. Half the reason it’s such a mess up there.

I wonder, we obviously can’t restrict travel to NI folks - but can we stop Mainland UK citizens as part of the free travel agreement?

Gradius wrote: »
    You can bet your balls it's all ready here, will see the first case reported next week probably

We just need to slow it down so we don't need a lockdown before Christmas. And to keep our numbers a little lower until we can get the vaccine going to the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

GarIT wrote: »
    We just need to slow it down so we don't need a lockdown before Christmas. And to keep our numbers a little lower until we can get the vaccine going to the vulnerable.

760 cases today says it's not slowing down.

I'm not sure what all the hulabaloo is tbh, it's been around for months. There's 13,000 mutations of SARS-COVI-2, each likely as infectious as the last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Will flights/ferries be going the other way for passengers?

I’m resident in uk but been in Ireland for past few days need to get back after Xmas.

Also flights to Belfast from London are booked out. If your flight to Dublin is cancelled there isn't another flight to get onto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I expect a rubber stamp on Tuesday and a EU wide ban by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Strange decision, are we to believe, everything is going to be fine in 48 hours, I think not. Anyone even thinking of travelling to or from UK this side of Christmas needs to unpack their bags. I've rarely ever seen any real sense of concern in that buffoon UK health Secretary but this morning he looked genuinely spooked at this new varient of Covid and its unbelievable fast spread.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well are they?

On RTÉ there Vincent Kearney saying,there'll likely be travel advice not to come to NI from GB tier 4 areas
    Advisory means its not illegal and flights will not be stopped

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Strange decision, are we to believe, everything is going to be fine in 48 hours, I think not. Anyone even thinking of travelling to or from UK this side of Christmas needs to unpack their bags. I've rarely ever seen any real sense of concern in that buffoon UK health Secretary but this morning he looked genuinely spooked at this new varient of Covid and its unbelievable fast spread.

This decision was made by Michael Martin on his own (with advice but he is the decision maker) the government will vote on it on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Its not strange
    Its only being reviewed in 48hrs,not lifted

The UK health secretary started fake crying on telly the day the first vaccine was given, he's hardly a good measure.

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Will flights/ferries be going the other way for passengers?

I’m resident in uk but been in Ireland for past few days need to get back after Xmas.

There is no info on that yet and won't be till Tuesday.

Nobotty wrote: »
    On RTÉ there Vincent Kearney saying,there'll likely be travel advice not to come to NI from GB tier 4 areas

Intriguing to see if there's a directive from Irish Government on no Travel to Northern Ireland? Would they have the B**** I suspect not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nobotty wrote: »

Ridiculous. Identity over public health again it seems.
    Intriguing to see if there's a directive from Irish Government on no Travel to Northern Ireland? Would they have the B**** I suspect not

Would be outrage if that happened. Never will, no matter how bad it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Strange decision, are we to believe, everything is going to be fine in 48 hours, I think not.

It's not just for 48 hours and that's it, 48 hours with a review before hand, likely to be extended.

O dear God, Eamonn Ryan on the news, saw him earlier on Virgin news, what an incoherent chap he is, just why is he put out to do interviews, awful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

France now has banned flights to the UK.

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's not just for 48 hours and that's it, 48 hours with a review before hand, likely to be extended.

I get that but the dogs on the street know travel to and from UK won't be permitted this side of Christmas, why not just say it, this nonsense awaiting a cabinet decision is farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Borris will get their hard Brexit now , there won’t be a flight in or out of U.K. for weeks to Europe !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

O dear God, Eamonn Ryan on the news, saw him earlier on Virgin news, what an incoherent chap he is, just why is he put out to do interviews, awful

Why wouldn't he be the one to announce the travel ban? He is the Minster for Transport.

• Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he be the one to announce the travel ban? He is the Minster for Transport.

Something something I don’t like him something something!

Ridiculous. Identity over public health again it seems.

Would be outrage if that happened. Never will, no matter how bad it gets.

I know, just having a dig :) but as much as I hate to admit it, Northern Ireland is part of UK?

• Advertisement

Scotland has closed its border with England, so there won't be any further "ordinary" travel to the island of Ireland by ferry (for people travelling from England) for the time being.

Advertisement