Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What's the idea of 48 hours???

I thought the virus lasts 14 days.

Being reviewed in 48hrs by cabinet, and I'd say highly likely to extended till January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

What's the idea of 48 hours???

I thought the virus lasts 14 days.

Until it has a proper government analysis, basically. It's Sunday. Expect it to be extended drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If Scotland can close border with England we need to close ours with the North - unless the shut off transit to England.

We have more solid and legally binding agreements on open borders. Scotland doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

These are the type of people you're dealing with

https://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1340702154168950786?s=20

Thought that could be an option.If you're lucky you could be in the same flight as Sammy 'no mask' Wilson.

So what's the craic with the government though? I thought the only reason they only 'advised' people to stop travelling, rather than actually enforce it, was to avoid having to pay out to the likes of Ryanair (as the Govt. would be responsible for them staying on the ground).

Now that they are actually enforcing it, and banning flights, are they compensating airlines? If so, i can't see the ban lasting too long..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

These are the type of people you're dealing with

https://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1340702154168950786?s=20

Yup, but convincing enough of them of it so they do it is probably easier than actually stopping all traffic across the border. You can probably pick a few main roads to setup checkpoints and talk to the main travel companies about it and make it difficult enough that people might not bother but we can't close it off 100% sadly.

Should be doing our best to close off as much avenues in as we can but might be easier to get them to align.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If Scotland can close border with England we need to close ours with the North - unless the shut off transit to England.

Scotland border closure is only a gesture in reality as the Scottish police commissioner stated the the police would not be placing or enforcing any border blockades or checkpoints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

France has just announced a 48hr ban on all travel from the UK

So what's the craic with the government though? I thought the only reason they only 'advised' people to stop travelling, rather than actually enforce it, was to avoid having to pay out to the likes of Ryanair (as the Govt. would be responsible for them staying on the ground).

Now that they are actually enforcing it, and banning flights, are they compensating airlines? If so, i can't see the ban lasting too long..?

I don’t think they government have to compensate them at all. Sure they were begging for it early on and were refused outright.

I don’t think they government have to compensate them at all. Sure they were begging for it early on and were refused outright.

They weren't entitled to compensation because the government never stopped them. Just advised against travel. Ryanair could offer trips, but if nobody booked it wasn't the govts. responsibility.

This time they're actually saying "Keep the planes on the ground!", which is a different situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Does anyone know if the ban will still let you fly from the UK into Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Not easy for those in Ireland now and were planning to head to mainland Europe (home or to visit family) over the land-bridge in the coming days or after Christmas....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That was never the reason. And anyone who gave it any amount of thought should realise that.

Does anyone know if the ban will still let you fly from the UK into Northern Ireland

You can currently. Stormount is meeting at 9pm to discuss that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

No, if you want to behave like an utter scumbag and flout public health advice and endanger all around you, by all means you are free to fly into Belfast. You're welcome.

embraer170 wrote: »
    Not easy for those in Ireland now and were planning to head to mainland Europe (home or to visit family) over the land-bridge in the coming days or after Christmas....

That is allowed if the flight still goes. RTE says flights will still be going. VM/Eamon Ryan says they are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

France ban includes freight driven by man, ie no trucks

Apparently some direct flights like Amsterdam to Dublin had been booked out for weeks.

If your in tier 4 areas which are south east England and Wales. Or your in Scotland. You’re not meant to travel anywhere.

North of Watford (ish) to the Scottish border are the only places where it’s not as restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

French closing Dover to trucks with drivers ....I presume that will hit Irish trucks

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    That was never the reason. And anyone who gave it any amount of thought should realise that.

Can you elaborate on that?

It was the reason I heard, over and over, on radio and TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The uk have the world's best genomic sequencing abilities and services. Imagine if the new strain had started here!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

GarIT wrote: »
    That is allowed if the flight still goes. RTE says flights will still be going. VM/Eamon Ryan says they are stopped.

Not clear if ferries to the UK will allow passengers (and if there is any option to mainland Europe after that). I assume no at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

quartz1 wrote: »
    French closing Dover to trucks with drivers ....I presume that will hit Irish trucks

Uh oh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

GarIT wrote: »
    "Dublin government and flights to the republic"
    Madness. It's the Irish government and flights to Ireland.

Plenty of Irish people call them the Dublin government too.

Not clear if ferries to the UK will allow passengers (and if there is any option to mainland Europe after that). I assume no at this stage.

RTE said no passengers on ferries.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Plenty of Irish people call them the Dublin government too.

They would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

If your in tier 4 areas which are south east England and Wales. Or your in Scotland. You’re not meant to travel anywhere.

North of Watford (ish) to the Scottish border are the only places where it’s not as restrictive.

All the southwest of England is Tier 2 ,no restrictions on travel. My relations flew from Bristol Airport into Dublin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

What about all the GB cars that normally come over this week. Will they be stopped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Maybe they shouldn't travel through multiple countries in the middle of a pandemic? Crazy I know.

Advertisement