Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would it take for you to kill?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I do wonder, statistically speaking, how often a break in occurs with the intent of harming kids first and foremost? , and what sort of wasteland people are living in to say that they sleep with weapons under or near the bed?

I'd categorize a lot of this talk in the same was as that kid in school who claimed to be a black belt in ninjitsu and had an uncle who worked at nintendo - complete dreamers.

Id say your kids would be more traumatized by seeing daddy beaten with his own bat or hammer than losing his playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Three things that cause people to kill -

1. Blind rage.

2. Extreme fear - usually for yours or someone else’s life.

3. Revenge.

plenty more than that

one being soldiers who are trained to know how and why they are doing it

I do wonder, statistically speaking, how often a break in occurs with the intent of harming kids first and foremost? , and what sort of wasteland people are living in to say that they sleep with weapons under or near the bed?

I'd categorize a lot of this talk in the same was as that kid in school who claimed to be a black belt in ninjitsu and had an uncle who worked at nintendo - complete dreamers.

Id say your kids would be more traumatized by seeing daddy beaten with his own bat or hammer than losing his playstation.

I wouldn't risk my life for the PlayStation , feic it, its only a lump of plastic, but if an intruder was coming up the stairs towards my kids, and refusing to retreat, one of us is getting seriously injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

They say humans have it as an instinct, it's the reason why we for the head or neck in a fight.

I was reading a very interesting story recently about a young Mafia member in Philadelphia during the 80s, Salvatore ' Salvie' Testa, known as the 'Mafia Prince' in the media.

His father Phil ' Chicken Man' Testa was the boss of the Philadelphia Family and his murder was immortised in the Bruce Springsteen song 'Atlantic City'.

Salvie found the men who killed his dad and tortured them for three days. Setting fireworks up their arse, peeling back their fingernails, systematically removing their eye balls with a tea spoon.

He'd no remorse for his actions. He made a comment a year later stating that he wished he could dig them up and kill them again.

Salvie met his end not too long after. He was double crossed by his fathers Underboss, Nicodemo Scarfo. Shot in the the head and dumped in a ditch along the road from Philly to Atlantic City. 28 years old.

I doubt the guy was normal before his father was killed. It's obvious that he was a psychopath and probably would have inflicted this kind of savagery on a total stranger who owed a debt or had information that he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    plenty more than that

one being soldiers who are trained to know how and why they are doing it

They don’t believe they murder anyone.
    Act of war they call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They don’t believe they murder anyone.
    Act of war they call it.

kill ≠ murder

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'd take salvies ending to that of his victims any day of the week, but to answer the question asked in the op, as already stated - mess with my kids or wife and that would probably do it for me. They're off limits.

People say this but it's generally just talk.

How often do you hear of someone killing a person who has "messed" with their kids/wife/family?

Most people aren't members of a crime gang, paramilitary organisation, drug cartel, football hooligan firm or any group that would have no compunction about doling out a severe punishment to anyone who has fcuked with one of their own.

Peoples' partners, siblings, children, loved ones get "fcuked" with all the time but revenge whether it be assault, torture or murder, is rarely if ever exacted as a response.

There was a thread earlier about an acid attack in a takeaway in Tallaght and people expressed horror and exclaimed that the assailant should be jailed for life. Yet in the same breath will insist that they would torture or murder someone who messed with their kids. What if the assailant's kids were messed with by the acid attack victims? Would it be ok then? I admit that that is a stretch but it's possible.

We all have it in us to lose it and inflict violence without thinking but most people have a mental tripswitch that prevents such things and it takes extreme measures to override it.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Self defence. I think any human, no matter their outlook on life, would kill to preserve their, or their families, life.

The Holocaust proves otherwise.

Most people knowing that they are going to certain death will accept it and hope the horror will subside. Hundreds of concentration camp inmates could easily have overcome a handful of guards and torn them limb from limb but it never happened. Even if the tower guards turned the machine guns on the mob what difference would it have made. They were dead anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Three things that cause people to kill -

1. Blind rage.

2. Extreme fear - usually for yours or someone else’s life.

3. Revenge.

Add in greed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

When I was much younger, you could put me into a uniform, give me a rifle and point to a general direction of the enemy. Thankfully, there were no enemies to kill in my time. People in Ireland are lucky to have no conscription and no military involvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

begbysback wrote: »
    I’ve a few bodies under the belt meself, it’s gotten to the stage now where I don’t even bury them anymore, just leave them where they fall.

Assassin's creed don't count

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

all it takes for any of you to kill is to use your phone while driving, drunk, impaired, distracted, tired, bald tyres, too fast, anything

it doesn't take very much at all to kill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think, to kill, you must have given up on your own life to, at least, some extent. I don't think anything would drive me to kill as from a purely selfish pov I would presume I wouldn't get away with it and therefore my own life and that of my family, would be ruined almost as much as my victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

cj maxx wrote: »
    Add in greed

Add in pleasure.

There are some sick people who kill because they enjoy it. True psychopaths.
    Victims of Ted Bundy who managed to escape all said his eyes turned black as he was strangling them. That's because he was experiencing excitement and pleasure so his pupils dilated making his eyes seem black.

Add in drugs or mental illness. Someone slips into psychosis after taking acid and murders their girlfriend, family, stranger etc.

What a delightful thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

all it takes for any of you to kill is to use your phone while driving, drunk, impaired, distracted, tired, bald tyres, too fast, anything

it doesn't take very much at all to kill

We're taking about purposely killing someone, not an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d kill someone to protect myself and my loved ones.

If my place was broken into, I’d take the advice of a Garda neighbor who told me years ago....

“ if they are downstairs, just call the Gardai and wait , if they come upstairs you can do what you like, throw them head first down the stairs... the law won’t touch you, can’t touch you... when they make their way to a ‘living area’ they have activated a perceived threat against you, when the Gardai arrive say the robber tried to assault you even if they didn’t get the opportunity , in the struggle to defend yourself they over balanced. Won’t be evidence to prove otherwise. “

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

Read a very good book on German soldiers during the war, and why they killed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldaten-Fighting-Killing-Secret-Second/dp/1849839492

Tough reading, but one part that stuck in my head was elderly police officers who asked the SS could they have a go, when the next executions were taking place. Seems quite a few would kill, if they thought they would get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

People say this but it's generally just talk.

How often do you hear of someone killing a person who has "messed" with their kids/wife/family?

Most people aren't members of a crime gang, paramilitary organisation, drug cartel, football hooligan firm or any group that would have no compunction about doling out a severe punishment to anyone who has fcuked with one of their own.

Peoples' partners, siblings, children, loved ones get "fcuked" with all the time but revenge whether it be assault, torture or murder, is rarely if ever exacted as a response.

There was a thread earlier about an acid attack in a takeaway in Tallaght and people expressed horror and exclaimed that the assailant should be jailed for life. Yet in the same breath will insist that they would torture or murder someone who messed with their kids. What if the assailant's kids were messed with by the acid attack victims? Would it be ok then? I admit that that is a stretch but it's possible.

We all have it in us to lose it and inflict violence without thinking but most people have a mental tripswitch that prevents such things and it takes extreme measures to override it.

Absolutely.

Aside from the hard man internet stuff must of us are civilised and wouldn’t have what it takes.

Funnily enough money causes more deaths than vigilantism.

“On Killing” by Dave Grossman is an interesting book about the topic of soldiers killing in war

I wouldn't hesitate to pull a trigger or clobber someone on the head if I felt the lives of those I love, including mine, was about to be taken.
    I know this with absolute certainty.

Any other situation say like an intruder rummaging around or an assault or even abuse, I wouldn't. But when the threat is to our lives then yes.

Actually not just people I love. If someone came in to where I work waving a gun around and threatening to shoot the staff I'd have no bother killing them either.

Torture is a different kettle of fish altogether. I don't have it in me to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,551 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d kill someone to protect myself and my loved ones.

If my place was broken into, I’d take the advice of a Garda neighbor who told me years ago....

“ if they are downstairs, just call the Gardai and wait , if they come upstairs you can do what you like, throw them head first down the stairs... the law won’t touch you, can’t touch you... when they make their way to a ‘living area’ they have activated a perceived threat against you, when the Gardai arrive say the robber tried to assault you even if they didn’t get the opportunity , in the struggle to defend yourself they over balanced. Won’t be evidence to prove otherwise. “

So just make sure you drag any intruders upstairs after you've kicked seven shades of ****e out of them :pac:

Kind of like firing a shot into the ceiling after you've shot someone dead. You can't tell the order of gunshots.

'I fired a warning shot into the ceiling first Garda'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

o1s1n wrote: »
    So just make sure you drag any intruders upstairs after you've kicked seven shades of ****e out of them :pac:

Kind of like firing a shot into the ceiling after you've shot someone dead. You can't tell the order of gunshots.

'I fired a warning shot into the ceiling first Garda'

Totally, as long as you don’t have a bad back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'm probably reaching my tipping point when it comes to overpriced, barista coffees that turn out no better than Applegreen's finest.

Being Irish, I obviously can't complain or give it back, so murder is probably my only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Must be awful to be so afraid, all the time, that you’d need a claw hammer beside your bed while you sleep.

Never said I was afraid.
    I'm a natural planner. I also have smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, house alarms.

In my car I've one of those tools that can smash the windscreen just in case there's a crash.
    Prepare, mitigate and forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I do it all the time, mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I'm probably reaching my tipping point when it comes to overpriced, barista coffees that turn out no better than Applegreen's finest.

Being Irish, I obviously can't complain or give it back, so murder is probably my only option.

Where are you going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

“On Killing” by Dave Grossman is an interesting book about the topic of soldiers killing in war

One of the best books I’ve ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I would have no problem killing anyone who did some heinous crime to my family or threatened them in anyway, similarly I'd kill petty thieves if I caught them clearing out my tool shed etc.

The way I look at it I'd be doing nothing wrong because I caught them in the act thus assuring their guilt and the fact I myself would face no serious consequences, there is no punishment for crime in Ireland until execution is brought back.

I think all paedophiles should be just executed by lethal injection, I would have no problem in volunteering as a public executioner.

Of course I hope the need for any of the above never arises but as a kid and teenager I myself got bullied alot and when faced with flight or fight I always faced down the bullies and fought back including giving one of them such a beating that I broke some of his ribs. After a few incidents like that people generally left me alone to this day as I got the reputation as something of a madman. I often look back and thank god I never had any access to guns or any type of weapons beyond a Hurley or there could have been tragic results. Nobody knows what anyone else is going through and it only takes something small often to push someone over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember a story many years ago (1980s) about a man (Canadian I think) who shot a guy who had either fiddled with or murdered one of his kids.

Vaguely remember the video or photo of it, think it was in an airport as the perp was being transported somewhere. Father was at the public phones and moved out and shot the guy.

I could easily do similar in the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

NIMAN wrote: »
    I remember a story many years ago about a man (Canadian I think) who shot a guy who had either fiddled with or murdered one of his kids.

Vaguely remember the video or photo of it, think it was in an airport as the perp was being transported somewhere. Father was at the public phones and moved out and shot the guy.

I could easily do similar in the same circumstances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Plauch%C3%A9

He walked free and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

theguzman wrote: »
    I would have no problem killing anyone who did some heinous crime to my family or threatened them in anyway, similarly I'd kill petty thieves if I caught them clearing out my tool shed etc.

The way I look at it I'd be doing nothing wrong because I caught them in the act thus assuring their guilt and the fact I myself would face no serious consequences, there is no punishment for crime in Ireland until execution is brought back.

I think all paedophiles should be just executed by lethal injection, I would have no problem in volunteering as a public executioner.

Of course I hope the need for any of the above never arises but as a kid and teenager I myself got bullied alot and when faced with flight or fight I always faced down the bullies and fought back including giving one of them such a beating that I broke some of his ribs. After a few incidents like that people generally left me alone to this day as I got the reputation as something of a madman. I often look back and thank god I never had any access to guns or any type of weapons beyond a Hurley or there could have been tragic results. Nobody knows what anyone else is going through and it only takes something small often to push someone over the edge.

LOL!! I’d say those guys took quite the beating in your head.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement