Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would it take for you to kill?

Options

Comments

People say this but it's generally just talk.

How often do you hear of someone killing a person who has "messed" with their kids/wife/family?

We all have it in us to lose it and inflict violence without thinking but most people have a mental tripswitch that prevents such things and it takes extreme measures to override it.

Would you retreat from someone coming up your stairs, intent on harming your family, and you've a weapon?

Most rational people have a revulsion to murder, but I reckon everyone has a tipping point, some just reach it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

theguzman wrote: »
    I would have no problem killing anyone who did some heinous crime to my family or threatened them in anyway, similarly I'd kill petty thieves if I caught them clearing out my tool shed etc.

The way I look at it I'd be doing nothing wrong because I caught them in the act thus assuring their guilt and the fact I myself would face no serious consequences, there is no punishment for crime in Ireland until execution is brought back.

I think all paedophiles should be just executed by lethal injection, I would have no problem in volunteering as a public executioner.

Of course I hope the need for any of the above never arises but as a kid and teenager I myself got bullied alot and when faced with flight or fight I always faced down the bullies and fought back including giving one of them such a beating that I broke some of his ribs. After a few incidents like that people generally left me alone to this day as I got the reputation as something of a madman. I often look back and thank god I never had any access to guns or any type of weapons beyond a Hurley or there could have been tragic results. Nobody knows what anyone else is going through and it only takes something small often to push someone over the edge.

What the hell have you got in that tool shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Sam Hain wrote: »
    What the hell have you got in that tool shed?

The bodies

LOL!! I’d say those guys took quite the beating in your head.

Is it better to submit to a bully or fight back?
    I reckon the latter, you might take an extra slap or two, but long term you'd be too much hassle, they'd target someone easier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is it better to submit to a bully or fight back?
    I reckon the latter, you might take an extra slap or two, but long term you'd be too much hassle, they'd target someone easier

Maybe it is, I was never in that position myself but a large portion of boards bully “tales” seem to involve the victim standing up for themselves and putting the bully to flight.

Sounds like a lot of mental revisionism going on.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I wouldn't hesitate to pull a trigger or clobber someone on the head if I felt the lives of those I love, including mine, was about to be taken.
    I know this with absolute certainty.

Any other situation say like an intruder rummaging around or an assault or even abuse, I wouldn't. But when the threat is to our lives then yes.

Actually not just people I love. If someone came in to where I work waving a gun around and threatening to shoot the staff I'd have no bother killing them either.

Torture is a different kettle of fish altogether. I don't have it in me to do that.

But you would hesitate.

That's the thing. Of soldiers who landed at Normandy and were sprayed with bullets only 1 in 10 even trained their guns on a German let alone pulled the trigger. The rest froze. I think that statistic may be in the book mentioned. And it wasn't out of fear or terror, it was the inherent inability to come to the threshold of killing.

Maybe it is, I was never in that position myself but a large portion of boards bully “tales” seem to involve the victim standing up for themselves and putting the bully to flight.

Sounds like a lot of mental revisionism going on.

Maybe, but its what I thought my kids
    Don't throw the first words/hand - try throw the last
    I think being to stand up for yourself is essential.

SVI40 wrote: »
    Read a very good book on German soldiers during the war, and why they killed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldaten-Fighting-Killing-Secret-Second/dp/1849839492

Tough reading, but one part that stuck in my head was elderly police officers who asked the SS could they have a go, when the next executions were taking place. Seems quite a few would kill, if they thought they would get away with it.

It's probably easy to kill when you believe that you can get away with it but most of when your victim can't or won't fight back.

Strip 5 "guards" of their authority, guns, bats, uniforms and orders and put them in a field with 5 who they would have easily killed and then see what happens.

Chances are...peace will prevail...coupled with apologies and acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

XP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I don't think anybody can answer that question unless they have actually been in such a situation. Saying what you would do, and actually doing it when confronted with the situation are not the same thing. We couldn't possibly know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

NIMAN wrote: »
    I remember a story many years ago (1980s) about a man (Canadian I think) who shot a guy who had either fiddled with or murdered one of his kids.

Vaguely remember the video or photo of it, think it was in an airport as the perp was being transported somewhere. Father was at the public phones and moved out and shot the guy.

I could easily do similar in the same circumstances.

Good video, he meant business, waited for him to go buy and bang, bye bye peado

Absolutely.

Aside from the hard man internet stuff must of us are civilised and wouldn’t have what it takes.

Funnily enough money causes more deaths than vigilantism.

“On Killing” by Dave Grossman is an interesting book about the topic of soldiers killing in war

I've seen grown men shrink and look the other way over a dust up on the bus. The excuse...."he/she could have a knife and blade me up...it's not worth it".

I've waded in once or twice before, and I'm no hero. Alcohol and a bit of dutch courage and youthful exuberance assisted my mood. And that was just a brawl at a taxi rank. Another time I sustained a broken cheek bone and I'm a bit of a pretty boy. I don't want my teetth or my nose all wrecked.

Now I'd probably chicken out as would most men regardless of the ease with which they could slap down a knacker or a scumbag.

And with that, people will crib about there not being enough protection on the streets or on the trams or whatever. People are inherently afraid of fighting and killing someone is no different no matter the big talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Having a shíte nights sleep.

Something happened to me years ago. It wasn't horrendous or terrifying but it was life changing. If it hadn't happened, if I handled it differently, anyways. Afterwards I would have destroyed that person. I remember the feeling of vengeance. I even considered things I could do. In the end I did nothing which was the right course of action. You lose a piece of yourself when you act out of revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

o1s1n wrote: »
    So just make sure you drag any intruders upstairs after you've kicked seven shades of ****e out of them :pac:

Kind of like firing a shot into the ceiling after you've shot someone dead. You can't tell the order of gunshots.

'I fired a warning shot into the ceiling first Garda'

Just make sure the kids arent upstairs

o1s1n wrote: »
    So just make sure you drag any intruders upstairs after you've kicked seven shades of ****e out of them :pac:

Kind of like firing a shot into the ceiling after you've shot someone dead. You can't tell the order of gunshots.

'I fired a warning shot into the ceiling first Garda'

Oh ffs

Go back to "Training Day" or whatever other dopey film "you think is yo life, yo!"

Garda: "Are you aaarmed,ya little bollix, ya? Are ya?

o1s1n: "Yeah, bitch, I'm packing heat. Fools be foolin'.

Garda: "Right, so. And you shot into the ceiling, now? Yes...or no?

o1s1n: "I busted a cap in dat fool, yo, AAIIGHT!"

Garda: Put that thing down before I take it off ya, file down the gun sight and ram it up your arse so it goes in a bit smoother, ya little wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Looks like a Mitty family reunion in this thread.

Would you retreat from someone coming up your stairs, intent on harming your family, and you've a weapon?

Most rational people have a revulsion to murder, but I reckon everyone has a tipping point, some just reach it earlier

Have you been in that predicament?

You like to think that you'd be a lion at the gates...most men would like to think so. But they aren't.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Add in greed

For food given the right extreme circumstances or if the local Tesco is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

'I think you should be allowed one murder in your lifetime. As long as you don't make a habit out of it.'
    - THE DIVINE DAVID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

They say if you act out of revenge, you need to dig 2 graves. One for yourself and one for your victim. Revenge usually ends only one way, with the weight of the deed on your heart and the consequences of the victim.
    As for killing, I think most fellas who boast and brag about all the things they would do to an intruder/attacker etc including all manner of fancy weapon gymnastics and movie-star roles, have to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. They are full of hot air and bravado and when it comes to pulling that trigger, they wouldnt dream of it.
    Its the quietly spoken man who likes training or keeping fit or boxing etc and keeps his house in order who I would bet on being the one who will finish off an intruder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Pronouncing the word committee as "comma-tea" ...double tap to the back of the head

They say if you act out of revenge, you need to dig 2 graves. .
    So kill just for fun ! GOT IT! :p

How would you know about "intent"?

You're hoping they just want the TV or some money.

So a big knife fight on the landing in front of your wife and 2 daughters over that, as the lads are downstairs turning over the drawers looking for a watch or a wallet and gone in 30 seconds.?

Have you been in that predicament?

You like to think that you'd be a lion at the gates...most men would like to think so. But they aren't.

This is a hypothetical exercise.

How would you know about "intent"?

You're hoping they just want the TV or some money.

So a big knife fight on the landing in front of your wife and 2 daughters over that, as the lads are downstairs turning over the drawers looking for a watch or a wallet and gone in 30 seconds.?

I think its pretty clear, if someone is advancing towards you up the stairs, its more than the TV and turning over a few drawers he's after.

At the risk of being melodramatic, I doubt any man would not be prepared to sacrifice himself protecting his kids.

I think its pretty clear, if someone is advancing towards you up the stairs, its more than the TV and turning over a few drawers he's after.

At the risk of being melodramatic, I doubt any man would not be prepared to sacrifice himself protecting his kids.

You're probably right.

But how often has that happened? And "hypothetically" speaking....which comes first? Ploughing everyone into the jacks/bedroom and staying with the terrified crew or pushing the screaming wife aside as you stand there in your PJs like Bruce Willis saying "let's rock". ?

In olden days leaders took their mens kids to the battle field to inspire them to fight this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

We are alot closer than you may think. Nobody thinks about looking at their phone while driving, or speeding up for the amber light 50 metres ahead as being close to killing someone.

You make the decision to look at your phone or press the accelerator, the same as you would to pick up a knife to kill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Have actually thought about it before weirdly but my red line would be anybody harming my family. The logic basically is : rapists, paedophiles and otherwise ne'er dwells, even murderers in this country regularly get pissy sentences and leniency from judges "comes from a good background /had a bad upbringing/out of character etc etc".

So in the hopefully entirely hypothetical scenario where any such crimes is visited upon my partner or child, I will exact my own punishment and throw myself upon the farcical leniency of the Irish legal system should I get caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I've seen grown men shrink and look the other way over a dust up on the bus. The excuse...."he/she could have a knife and blade me up...it's not worth it".

I've waded in once or twice before, and I'm no hero. Alcohol and a bit of dutch courage and youthful exuberance assisted my mood. And that was just a brawl at a taxi rank. Another time I sustained a broken cheek bone and I'm a bit of a pretty boy. I don't want my teetth or my nose all wrecked.

Now I'd probably chicken out as would most men regardless of the ease with which they could slap down a knacker or a scumbag.

And with that, people will crib about there not being enough protection on the streets or on the trams or whatever. People are inherently afraid of fighting and killing someone is no different no matter the big talk.

I see a reoccurring theme here about paedophile‘s and killing them regardless.

The problem is most kids are abused by a close family member like a grandfather or uncle.

Has any of the thousands of abused kids parents in Ireland killed the perpetrators? No because it’s usually a dad or uncle unfortunately

It’s important I add, paedos do deserve rough justice, it’s just usually not from parents of victims

Advertisement