Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would it take for you to kill?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

A 4th lockdown after the impending one in January.

That’s if some looper doesn’t beat me to it.
    Just casually strolls down the street outside government buildings some day and pulls the trigger on one of them

(Joking btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Someone messing with my kids

Closest I have come was when we were followed by a paedophile in Bilboa in Spain.

Was eating outside with OH and 5/6 YO son one evening.

A guy comes up selling some cheap toy, he demonstrates it to my son and I want to get rid of him so through him a couple of quid for the toy.

As he was walking away the waitress came out and looked seriously shocked and she explained that that guy has been locked up before for abusing children.

That was grand, good to be aware. Son was getting tired after the meal so we said we'd grab some wine and drink on the apartment balcony.

Was in the shop and I turn around and who is there only paedo ****er, obviously followed us! I turn around and immediately shout at him that I know what he is like and if he doesn't leave the shop I will kill him. He took a few seconds as he was shocked and after more shouting and extreme aggression on my part he left. He really would have been in danger if he hadn't left at that stage.

People in the shop must have thought I was loop the loop. One of us was holding the son's hand for a couple of days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I see a reoccurring theme here about paedophile‘s and killing them regardless.

The problem is most kids are abused by a close family member like a grandfather or uncle.

Has any of the thousands of abused kids parents in Ireland killed the perpetrators? No because it’s usually a dad or uncle unfortunately

It’s important I add, paedos do deserve rough justice, it’s just usually not from parents of victims

Problem is, you kill the paedophile, you are depriving your already very traumatized child of their parent for I think over a decade. A double whammy... if you get away with it, just need to let justice get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Strumms wrote: »
    Problem is, you kill the paedophile, you are depriving your already very traumatized child of their parent for I think over a decade. A double whammy... if you get away with it, just need to let justice get on with it.
    Just don't tell kid.

You're probably right.

But how often has that happened? And "hypothetically" speaking....which comes first? Ploughing everyone into the jacks/bedroom and staying with the terrified crew or pushing the screaming wife aside as you stand there in your PJs like Bruce Willis saying "let's rock". ?

Not everything is 'macho' or male bravado, dismissals as bluster.

Thread title "what would it take"..
    If my family were in serious danger from someone, I would do all I could to avert that danger including killing the threat. More Nally than Shatter.

Now, obviously that doesn't include someone giving us the finger in a car park, or a ball through a window.

We've a fight or flight reaction to threat, flight may not be an option, so fight it is.
    Animals do it, we're no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Where are you going?

Could be anywhere. No rhyme or reason to it. I think it's all down to staff training. Lots of places have all the equipment but don't show staff how to make decent coffee, so you often end up with a boiling, watery mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

All this talk about macho men protecting their families and destroying anyone who threatens their kids. What about us women who also have an innate drive to protect our children at all costs, which supersedes all else. It's a pure biological drive that we largely cannot control. You hear stories about how women manage to lift several times their own body weight to release their trapped children etc. As a woman, I might not come out the best of an altercation with a male intruder, but if my baby is in the house, I'll die trying. I'm not going to cower in bed while my fiancé waves some garden tools at an intruder like he's a wasp.

Don't forget about us superheroes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Not having had breakfast is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If I could get away with it, not a whole lot. I've a list already

- People who clap when the plane lands
    - People who don't mute video calls and take phone calls in the background
    - People who only go to Irish bars on holiday
    - People who take up two car park spaces
    - People who eat with their mouths open
    - People who post vague attention seeking updates on social media
    - Olé olérs

Could go on. Endless list really.

Antares35 wrote: »
    All this talk about macho men protecting their families and destroying anyone who threatens their kids. What about us women who also have an innate drive to protect our children at all costs, which supersedes all else. It's a pure biological drive that we largely cannot control. You hear stories about how women manage to lift several times their own body weight to release their trapped children etc. As a woman, I might not come out the best of an altercation with a male intruder, but if my baby is in the house, I'll die trying. I'm not going to cower in bed while my fiancé waves some garden tools at an intruder like he's a wasp.

Don't forget about us superheroes! :D

I know my wife would be of the same mind to protect her cubs. Its what a parent is supposed to do.

I dont think such talk is necessarily macho bravado.
    Its different from seeking retribution after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

S01E01-4CyCOyJR-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

self defense or a serious criminal life/mind altering offense against me or those i care about.

that said, its purely theoretical and theres really no telling if you'd truly be willing and able to take a human life in those scenarios.

oh, and chatting away leisurely with the cashier in the height of christmas rush with a queue rapidly expanding.

ohhhh....and anyone coming near me with full on conversation first thing in the morning before i've inhaled coffee and breakfast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anyone physically threatening the life of my OH or my immediate family members. They would be fair game in those scenarios.

Or if I had children - I’ve heard of reports of mothers actually killing people who snatched or physically harmed their babies. It’s more than just love- it’s parental instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

I am actually of the opinion that people could kill in many, many circumstances and that it is much more of a possibility than posters would like to think.

I am not attacking any poster at all, but there seems to be the narrative of 'I could kill, but only in the most extreme circumstances to the most evil people' (for example paedophiles comin up the stairs). A bit of virtue signaling.

Humans however have killed throughout history and it is only relatively recently that society as settled that most people may not know of someone who has killed. Look as recent as our War of Independence, Civil War, WW1 or WW2 even.
    Humans can be trained to kill - look at how Marines are trained.

If you were set upon in a dark trail by 1/2 assailants, would you kill to escape unharmed? Many people would. Especially in the heat of the moment.
    If your country was invaded by an expansionist evil power, would you kill to defend your society, your people, your way of life? Would you kill to protect your elderly parents? Would you kill for greed - 100 million and a guarantee you would not be found out? There was a movie based on a premise like this - you pressed a button to kill someone else in the world for 1 million but you didn't know the person and would never be found out - would you do it?

Unfortunately, I think humans are much more capable of killing tan some of the scenarios thought of here in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

A good few years ago when I was in my teenage years. dogs attacked sheep belonging to a relative. I drove into the field as the attack was happening. With a mixture of blind rage and adrenaline I jumped out of the vehicle and all I had in my hand was a hammer. I tried to distract the dogs from the terrified sheep. All but 1 of the dogs ran away and that dog came at me. I killed the dog with that hammer and I didn't second guess while doing it. It was a me or you scenario. I don't ever want to be in that situation again.

A good few years ago when I was in my teenage years. dogs attacked sheep belonging to a relative. I drove into the field as the attack was happening. With a mixture of blind rage and adrenaline I jumped out of the vehicle and all I had in my hand was a hammer. I tried to distract the dogs from the terrified sheep. All but 1 of the dogs ran away and that dog came at me. I killed the dog with that hammer and I didn't second guess while doing it. It was a me or you scenario. I don't ever want to be in that situation again.

Shocked you didn't try and reason with the dog, he might not have been intent on harming you...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Shocked you didn't try and reason with the dog, he might not have been intent on harming you...

The dog didn't come over for a rub I can assure you. It was a large dog and had blood across it's muzzle and was snarling. If I ever had a nightmare 9 times out of 10 that dog is what I saw. I'm not trying to sound like a tough person, just sharing my story.

The dog didn't come over for a rub I can assure you. It was a large dog and had blood across it's muzzle and was snarling. If I ever had a nightmare 9 times out of 10 that dog is what I saw. I'm not trying to sound like a tough person, just sharing my story.

Sorry dude, should have put in a sarcasm emoji!

Theres some here who think its all just macho bravado talk, of being able to kill.
    When it comes to it, and 'it' being different for diffetent people, I don't think we're all that civilised.

I think that was a joke...

Theres some here who think its all just macho bravado talk, of being able to kill.
    When it comes to it, and 'it' being different for diffetent people, I don't think we're all that civilised.

I agree. Humanity is really only a thin veneer. There's an awful lot of aggression just below the surface. I got my face punched in on the Luas a few years ago because I asked someone to stop elbowing me - the thing was jammed and she was trying to push on. You see motorists losing their **** and causing accidents all the time.

When covid first broke here and there was general fear and people were going mad buying up everything in supermarkets and pharmacies etc. and we were locked down, I remember saying to OH that I was actually more fearful of lawlessness and the sort of every man for himself mentality than I was of the virus itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Actually that's really the point, people can kill on the spur of the moment. But if you were to think about it rationally first would a person then have the balls to actually pull the trigger or use a knife or weapon. I reckon it would be less than what people say on the thread.

Kylta wrote: »
    Actually that's really the point, people can kill on the spur of the moment. But if you were to think about it rationally first would a person then have the balls to actually pull the trigger or use a knife or weapon. I reckon it would be less than what people say on the thread.

Premeditated murder is very different.
    Planning and going ahead. Takes a special mindset all right.

But self defence, combat , I dunno. If there's someone intent on killing you, you'd be a fool not get your retaliation in first.

If society broke down for what ever reason, the weak would just be preyed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Premeditated murder is very different.
    Planning and going ahead. Takes a special mindset all right.

But self defence, combat , I dunno. If there's someone intent on killing you, you'd be a fool not get your retaliation in first.

If society broke down for what ever reason, the weak would just be preyed on.

If society breaks down I plan on preying on the rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This reminds me of the very decent farmer a few years back who had been driven to hell and back by a neighbour using a crowbanger 24/7 over the years.

As someone who has had to move house twice because of these infernal devices it caught my attention.

The neighbour was using it as provocatively as possible.

One day the decent farmer met him on th e lane when he was driving a tractor with a farming device for picking up bales with a long spear (I forget the name) and he snapped. Ran the neighbour through and through until he was dead. Years of frustration breaking loose.

It was the result of scores of years of the crowbanger being used aggressively and various other aspects of the relationship and lack of sleep etc and he just snapped.

I honesty think we none of us know or, thankfully will ever know, what we are capable of under terrible stress.

I remember the stress the local crowbangers put on me. And the aggressiveness of the farmers using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Nal wrote: »
    - People who take up two car park spaces

This drives me nuts, it’s on the increase too. I suppose having an epidemic of bad parkers it’s simply reflecting the ever growing number of bad drivers. If they don’t give a fûck about anybody on the road they surely won’t in a car park either.

Advertisement