Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Edmundy

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Do all these courses have self catering lodges? Its our main driver for booking weekend away golf.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Faithlegg yes

Waterford castle yes

Castlemartyr yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Gold Coast in Dungarvan has self catering and you have three golf courses close by. Not to the same standard as Mount Juliet, Carton House etc.. but good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Upper end of price point I'd imagine, but I think Killeen Castle opened up lodges this year I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

MJ definitely has lodges but AFAIK they are all owned privately now. The hotel used to offer them as room options but they sold them off a few years back but it is possible they still have some. You can rent the private ones but I’m not sure if the hotel facilitates that.

Thanks all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

New Forest

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

New Forest is an excellent shout as there are loads of other courses nearby that could also be played when you stay there. Mullingar, Esker Hills, Tullamore, Moate, Mount Temple.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is it worth forking out the money for brand new custom fit irons as a high handicapper?

I currently have Ping G10s, they were custom fitted for my da years ago, we're similar but not exactly the same build, I'm a bit taller, but our swings are very different. They do the job ok now.

I have a €500 voucher to spend, so I'd be saving a chunk on them. But wondering if it'd just be a total waste of money until I get a bit better and more consistent? Or, would it be easier to get better and more consistent with irons setup to fit me?

Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Got fit at 21hc and currently 7hc using the same irons. It was worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There isn’t enough context to that

How many hours of practice etc did you put in? Were you brand new to golf? Did you used to play at a high level previously?

It sounds like the custom fit irons got you down!

I think that Dan is, in essence, saying that you shouldn't worry too much about your handicap level being the deciding factor when going to get clubs.

What I would think @awec would be that, at minimum you should go into one of the shops and get them to go through the basics of a fit for you.

At minimum get a determination as to whether the shafts are OK for your swing speed.

I know my own and my Dad's shaft spec would be significantly different.

If it turns out that the spec of your current irons matches up OK for you and you feel that your swing is likely to change significantly after some lessons then you could hold off until you feel your swing resembles something you're comfortable with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I would get a lesson first and ask the Pro + you can always go to a fitting and see is there much in the difference. Then decide. Always nice to buy shiney new clubs though ☺️

G10/G15/G20 are classic irons

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is anecdotal opinions around the web/magazines a few years back that the G15 in particular was Ping getting their irons the best they've ever achieved and that iterations previous and subsequent are not as good and to stick to that era

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

McGuirks doing a deal on TP5 &TP5x.

2 dozen for €91.

With the IGW10 code it's 81 quid. Not an outstanding deal but a small saving for anyone planning on buying now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I seen a tip for amateurs from Dechambeau online. That when practising you should practise from the most forward tees and get used to shooting low scores. So when its comes to playing comps you are just moving a little further back! So I played 9 yesterday evening. First 2 holes I played of the whites and bogied. Than said I'll try this out as I was also fighting the light and wanted to get 9 in. So played of the reds (ladies 😂) and finished the 7 holes in +2.. which happened on the 13th (was playing the back 9) when I snap hooked my drive which cost me a double! but have to say it was fun + I flew around! All the other holes where mainly tap in pars with birdie looks!

Interesting Theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Does anyone here use an app for tracking shots, stats, strokes gained etc that doesn't come with hardware such as sensors, a device to carry or a watch? I guess this would require manual entry to the app

If you want something crude, GolfShot could be worth a look.

You enter something like:

• Total Strokes
    • Putts
    • Hit Fairway/Missed Left/Missed Right
    • Penalties

From there it can give you basic FIR/GIR/scrambling/putting/scoring stats

Playing Waterville tomorrow. Can't wait.

Heading down that way this evening after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone remember this lad? Was a phenomenon achievement at the time, famously put on the clock at the masters. Unfortunately never went on to do much in the game so far!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Cracking golf course. Was a sunny day but very windy. Great going one direction not so great going the other.

Got as far as the 18th tee box without losing a ball. Thought to myself it would be great to do the whole 18 without losing one. Drove it straight into the sea from the tee box. Ah well. Was very enjoyable course and would love another bash at it in more calmer conditions.

No longer on the tee.....🙁 Ivor Robson RIP

Ivor Robson: 'Voice of The Open' dies aged 83 - BBC Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

It's been a few weeks since I've last played a round. I've been to the range a few times and improved some things and I'm hitting it more consistently than ever. Playing a round tomorrow and I'm very confident I'm going to hack it around 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

**Beginner lessons query - Dublin**

A mate asked recently about sending a group of 3-4 lads somewhere to "try hitting balls" with a pro/instructor. I assume you can just book a pro for an hour at a range. I don't have a clue as I'm not too familiar with the Dublin area.

Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Advertisement