Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah, we could have done with the clocks going forward from the start of February.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They should just not **** move at all, but sure who knows when that'll finally happen 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cannot wait either. A shame we have to wait until the end of the month but I'm thankful of the extra 10 mins or so of daylight we get on the west coast for now.

The calculators and sun dials have been out this morning...9 holes will be achievable, given a 5:30ish start, by Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭benny79

I agree. Think its stupid they but it back in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭blue note

Is there a good golf app for leaderboards? I used the golf channel one and it was decent but now they're no longer supporting it and pushing me to the NBC sports app when I open it.

But is there a one stop shop for leaderboards for PGA, European tour, LPGA, champions tour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That feeling when you start a scramble with 5 birdies in the first five holes....

And yet you only finish 5 under.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Anyone know if players with an english handicap can play in an open competition here? Surely the whole point of WHS is to allow for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yes but they need bring back their card to their handicap secretary for handicapping purposes

Are courses allowed to copy a golf hole? I mean could Waterville decide to copy the 17th 12th at Augusta if they wanted to? And if you were to copy a full 18 of unique holes, what would they be?

Not planning to do it, just was a shower though i had this morning 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭OEP

In No Laying Up's "Strapped" series, the play a course in South Carolina called the World Tour Golf Links - and it's 18 replicas of famous golf holes.

Yeah, just seeing that now, along with a few other courses that do something similar in the US. Maybe when i win the euromillions.

I didn't get the right hole that i was thinking of, so shows you what know :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, I played a "fantasy" course in the US, 6 holes picked by three different golfers and rolled into 18, my lasting memory is the par 3 (12th?) at Augusta, you see virtually none of the green, just the two bunkers with a small bit of green on the right hand side

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GolfPar

I played the said course before. Bit of a novelty factor to it with the 1st & 18th at St Andrew's for example and the 17th in Sawgrass among the holes I remember. They weren't exact replica's for obvious reasons buy you got the feel for what they might be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

The youtuber, James Robinson, has a video up playing such a course in Dallas I think.

In a stroke play comp, can you pick up on a hole ("declare the hole started but not completed") and continue on with the rest of the round?

I'm aware the round will go down as a NR but am I right in saying it can still be considered for handicap purposes?

Had an example at the weekend where a new guy was really struggling to get out of a bunker, he wasn't enjoying the ordeal lots and lots of attempts. I offered it up that (there was no pressure but) he could pick up if he wanted and all was not completely lost... But the others guys were adamant that he had to finish the hole, that he could get a wrap on the knuckles for not finishing the hole / turning the round into a NR.

You can pick up and submit the round for your handicap, they give you net double bogey. But yeah some competition committees might be having a word after NRs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭OEP

This is quite common - someone loses a ball and isn't running back to hit another because their round isn't going well so scratch that hole but continue their round. As far as I'm aware you're actually encouraged to finish the round out, as for handicap purposes everyone is supposed to hand in their scorecard. I don't see why a competition committee would have an issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭boccy23

If it's for handicap purposes, I know that our committee is insistent on a complete scorecard. Maybe that was the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I picked up in the medal and played on. Counts for handicap and NR in medal comp

• Advertisement

Yip that was my understanding, thanks all. I will have to check if the club issued any communications recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Golf GPS Watches

I have funds on my club account and was looking at purchasing a GPS watch they have in the pro shop. Its a Golf Buddy aimW11.

Anybody on here have use any Golf Buddy watches? What are they like?

My current GPS watch is a Garmin but its nearly 12 years old. Need an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭zocklie

Playing a singles matchplay recently, going down the 16th, a par three. Playing partner hits his ball right behind some trees near an on area and we're not sure if in play or not, so he hits provisional, puts it to 2 feet.

When were walking to the green, he makes no attempt to look for the ball, takes his putter out, marks his ball, and waits for me to putt. I can see his ball and tell him his original is in play, so he does the whole rigmarole of going back and getting his wedge etc.

Does he half to look for his ball, or can he just declare it lost without attempting to look for it? What if he declares it lost but I find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

If you find it before he holes out then he must play his original ball. However, if he has tapped in before you find it then he has completed the hole as far as I know (I could be wrong on the 2nd part!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

It's only a tricky one due to the marker. If he plays a stroke against the provisional at any point further than that of the search area, it's automatically "in play". That means putting the ball would make it live (holing or finishing out it would also be the same). I'm not certain if marking the ball automatically makes it live or not. This is the only ambiguity for me.

If you found it within the 3 mins limit - The original ball is in play. If the 3 mins expire then the provisional is in play. You can't declare a ball lost but you could state/assume it's likely lost in a forest/fescue and say my provisional is live - this statement still means absolutely nothing in terms of the rules. Once the 3 mins haven't elapsed that original ball has to be played if found. Provided the provisional hasn't passed the search reference point.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Salvadoor

If he tapped in, he could potentially have played out of turn and then be asked to replace it by his opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes in matchplay Salvadoor has made a good point to follow up on mileys point.

but I would be making him play original

it's not an NR and there is nothing wrong with it

the committee can't have n issue. its still a completed card, you just made a dogs dinner of one hole and picked up and moved onto next tee. it's perfectly allowable. i think you'll find that if you dig deeper, the issue your committee most likely has is that some people then don't submit their scores because they are out of hte competition. everyone must submit their scores, and just put picked up on relevant hole they didn't complete

When the format of play allows, players are encouraged to pick up at their maximum hole score to keep up a good pace. For competitions, the adjustment is applied after the round. This means that the score posted for the competition and the score submitted for handicap purposes could be different.

• Advertisement

"when the format of play allows" pretty sure for strokes if you pick up its an NR as I said still counts for handicap though.

Advertisement