Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

You're DQ'd from the strokeplay comp but receive a net double bogey for that hole for handicap purposes. If you've no handicap and this is one of your first three cards, I believe there's a cap on the max strokes per hole applied for calculating your first HC. Something like +5 iirc so you get a 10 for a par 5. Essentially the largest HC you could receive is 54, so that's 3 shots on index 1-9. A net double bogey on one of those holes is a +5.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭GolfPar

It's not a DQ to return an NR. Your score just appears below all of the valid scores returned but it's not a DQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

The feeling of optimism after a lesson is wonderful. I'm a 19 handicap and I was hitting 6/10 shots really well and the misses weren't slices or hooks, just didn't hit as sweetly. Playing tomorrow and already worried about my hopes being up!

I know the feeling! Practice or go to the range and absolutely striping it for fun right?

The way I look at it is that we'll always make loads of mistakes and try to accept it with a laugh or smile. I played recently in a medal comp on back tees where I topped 4 tee shots but ended up equalling my best score. Can't remember the last time I topped two in a round. When I'm in the headspace of accepting mistakes I have less pressure or nerves and enjoy my golf more. Typically, I would try less hard to chase a score and try silly shots which compounds mistakes. Keep plugging away with the lesson drills and it'll bed in to your swing in jig time. May take a couple of up/down rounds to figure it out but it's all part of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hi folks

Do Woodstock, Shannon or East Clare Golf Club run open comps this Sunday by any chance?

Cant get anything online for them, it’s like the Stone Age. The absolute hack of Woodstock‘s website by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Woodstock run them midweek according to their website, but that could be midweek 1994.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Best to phone them, Shannon would be the better of the three tracks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I'd know all 3 courses well in fairness, and like them all.

Just a bit stupid that I need to ring all 3 to see what comps are on is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Some places won't get the times. I tend to avoid them .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tell me about it, played a course last Thursday, turned up and pro had gone home for the day so shop locked up, went into clubhouse and they could not accept cr card, phoned them three times since and phone keeps ringing out, all I want to do is give them money!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭REFLINE1

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but not worthy of a new thread. I'm new enough to playing club competitions, I see one where it is "four ball any combination" comp, can someone explain this format to me? cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I might be wrong but my understanding of that is; any combination of the pairings (male/male, male/female, female/female).

Fourball then is as usual: you & your partner play your own balls & count the best score out of the 2 on each hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Yes, afaik he must look for his ball when he played his second tee shot as a 'provisional'.

If instead, he had declared it lost, he could play his second ball, and so tap in for a net 4, as that would be the ball in play.

P.s. afaik if he had declared his ball lost on the tee, he can even find his first ball but cannot then play it.

Regardless in your scenario above, he was obliged to look for his ball, as he had only declared a provisional, and when you had spotted it, he was obliged to play it as that was then his ball in play.

Bad form out of him not to look for his provisional tbh.

Green fee prices out of control imo

Was looking for a game in or around Clare this weekend. **** Gort €40 on Sunday.. Gort

Played there not long ago and would see it as your typical €25 course. Couldn’t believe the €40 green fee

Shannon €50….

East Clare Golf Club have no booking system online.. tried ringing a million times to no answer - eventually I emailed them asking if there’s any open comp this weekend with their response being (verbatim) ‘Sorry, we don't’ .. that was the full response

Nothing about green fee slots etc

Some golf courses are absolutely useless at basic things

I think a lot of clubs are under resourced tbh. Particularly rural ones where there are other options nearby. Costs have definitely gone up and I don't know if membership or green fees necessarily have across the board.

They don't have the membership base and cash flow as a result. It can be very apparent from the first interaction you'll have. Be it a phone call or online info.

Was in Esker Hills a while back and I love the course plus the people there. It's one of the most welcoming places I've visited. Unfortunately I think it has taken a step backwards. The fairways were fluffy and more like semi rough. Greens themselves were fine but the fringe and apron was again like semi rough. Same with some of the tee boxes. It just looked a bit tatty in places and could be easily sorted out.

While sometimes it might feel like we're being robbed compared to recent years. Relative to other countries and our own cost of living. Ireland is still an affordable and accessible place to play golf.

That being said there are some low hanging fruit and some clubs really don't help themselves. An obvious one being no promotion of junior golf and young adult/intro memberships. Very hard for those clubs to ever grow their base.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Think I'm in need of a new bag.

Noticed after Glasson that the cushioning on the dividers of my bag have all torn and so the shafts of my woods are now scraped. 😕

Current one also isn't waterproof, my sandwich was destroyed by the rain...

Does anyone have a hybrid bag? The Titleist waterproof one looks nice, though a bit pricey. Worth the money? I saw one review saying it's realistically a bit too heavy to carry, but I'm guessing they meant if you wanted to carry for a full 18 with a full set of gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Currently awaiting an MRI early August on a knee issue that's been affecting me for about 5 weeks. Haven't swung a club since. I miss golf. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Advertisement

I had one before. A Nike one. It was grand. But that was about it. Legs (even strapped up) an make it a bit awkward putting it on trolley. And yes, was a bit heavier and less comfortable for carrying.

I’ve gone back to a separate pencil bag for when I want to carry. I bought a titleist bag with waterproof pockets and they burst open after a couple years.

I think next time I’ll just buy a full waterproof.

also one thing to note when buying a bag, where does the brolly go. Mine has a slot but it just goes down through the drinks pocket so makes it, well stupid and part the reason why some pockets burst.

so buying a bag…… fill it up first and see what it’s like then and stick if on your trolley/back for fit

Do you just use a cart bag now when you're using your trolley then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Carry bag when its anymore than a light shower is a pain. Theres not really enough space to carry everything once the rain stops and you start peeling off layers, then the bag gets wet and you have to have it sitting against your back and shoulders. The extra weight sucks as well.

I've a ping hoofer carry back with a waterproof pocket for phone ect if it showers and a ping cart bag if I want to punish myself and play in heavy rain.

Yes and also picked up a pencil bag for when I carry (during winter for 9-13 holes)

Same here. I got caught carrying a couple of times in the wet and it was a disaster.

The bag is a lot heavier with the extra kit and rain really doesn't help. A Waterproof cart bag is yer only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I've a waterproof hybrid bag. It's fine for a 9 hole carry, but to be honest it would probably start to impact you through 18 holes if you have it full.

I guess the benefit is extra storage, and a proper umbrella slot, which you won't tend to get on a standard carry bag.

The waterproofing is great (as long as you remember to properly close the pockets 🤦‍♂️)

Have had people say it to me in shops that a decent vinyl bag will be plenty to keep the water out without buying a waterproof bag, but not sure there are many vinyl options in the carry range, and again it'll add weight in relative terms to the standard carry material

I think I’m gonna get a cart bag at this point. But now seeing some people say that the zips on waterproof bags have a habit of breaking.

also noticing that waterproof bags tend not to have the external putter space for some reason.

There’s a Powakaddy one that looks like it’d hold everything you could possibly need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I've a Ping Hoofer Lite carry bag and I love basically everything about it apart from the lack of waterproofing. It's light as a feather, has enough space/pockets to carry everything I need, and fits easily on a trolley if I ever need to.

I was out playing on Sunday and it was a complete washout. The bag got soaked right though and I actually had to unzip the pockets and pour out puddles of water after the round. It took two days to dry out properly and there's still a bit of a damp smell off it that will probably take a while to go away.

My advice would be to pay the bit extra (if possible) for a waterproof option and save yourself the heart ache down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

My self and a few lads are heading up to Rosapenna just after the August Bank Holiday. We're doing the three links ticket offer. The last time I was up there was so long ago that there was only the one course and it wasn't even seen as a "resort"! I've heard great things about the place. Would there be any tips or advice to keep in mind when up there? Haven't played links golf in over 20 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Advertisement