Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mittens are MUCH better if your hands are damp or wet, getting on and off those other gloves is a nightmare e.g. getting tee out of pocket etc.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

But you put the “other gloves” on and leave them on

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea but if they're anything like a normal glove then I struggle getting my hand into my pocket with them on.

Does sound like mitts is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

go into a pro shop and mcguirks etc and try them

a proper pair will be tight fitting so no issue getting them into pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

These are the best job for winter golf imo. Got 2 from amazon years ago and they're great, stick one in either pocket and off you go. Probably best if you're using a carry bag I suppose.

Just throwing up a random link as I'm not sure they can be delivered here via amazon anymore :

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone else caught up in the silly season that is new drivers? Find myself trying to figure out where i'll find 500 odd quid to replace a club that i don't even need to replace 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bobster453

Buy in haste..regret at leisure comes to mind😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I like that one bobster, I'm going to rob it!

I'd say it's hard to buy a bad one nowadays, unless you get something that's totally off the wall. And if your driver is less than 10 years old - you're probably not going to get much added performance from it.

However, new toys are great fun. Go get fitted and spend silly money on it. You might not get value in terms of improved performance, but you might get value in terms of enjoyment. And if that's not the goal you're playing golf for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

Interesting though that all the marketing is around forgiveness, getting it in play and distance/ball speed is a secondary thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭benny79

Thats because they have maxed out that.. As drivers as we all know are restricted. I asked my Pro about a new driver as mine is 5 years old now and I want a new shiny thing he said sort my swing out first and I'll get more distance and wont need one - Kill joy 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

Yeah, surely the forgiveness is so good now, no matter what swing you put on it, it'll carry 270 and disperse no more than 7 yards. That's what I've seen all over YouTube for the last week!! 😂

I'm sure I could put the manufacturers and YouTubers claims to the test. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ping and Taylormade are plugging the 10k MOI thing like crazy and like they've just broken new ground but it's all marketing. The Ping G400 reached the 10k mark a few years ago.

I watched Rick Shiels reviews yesterday and one thing he said stood out to me. He said the TaylorMade Stealth models over the past couple of years have to be the most UNforgiving drivers that they've ever made. Then he bangs on about how the new Qi10 is so much more forgiving. From memory, I don't think he commented so negatively on the stealth when he initially reviewed them. He likes to claim that he's very neutral and not biased in the slightest, but I don't trust his reviews tbh. He seems to get swept up a bit in the marketing claims.

Realistically I don't think anyone would be seeing much difference changing from last year's model to this year's. Having said that, I really like the look of the new Ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rick's reviews are generally very good, he was never too hot on the stealth if he didn't hit it out of the middle. You can go back and watch the reviews.

I must stick it on and see what's the latest and greatest this year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I still watch his reviews and I do think they are some of the best reviews on YouTube. I just don't think he's as unbiased as he claims.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Club Champion seem to have a pretty detailed video on all the models. Certainly more in-depth than others i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

🤔 can't wait for the- Quantumtitan hyperdrive aeroflextour-X1-promax triple diamond elite 12k moi precision edition. Ever feel like you're being marketed to a little too strongly?

Winter wheels on an electric cart. Worth it or not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

yes, I added +100% efficiency getting them, no slopping or sliding around which eats batteries and you can send it straight through puddles at short notice

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I find their content some of the best on You-Tube. I watched Ricks review last night on the new cobras He was wetting himself on the Cobra LS model, it was a good review though. But as a poster said earlier are any of these drivers ground breaking? since they are all restricted. The only driver I have seen in the last 10 years make a bit difference is the Paradym as I had 2 mates get one! yet I went and looked at reviews of them, head to heads etc and at lot of the main You tubers had the Tilteist TSR2 come out on top 🤷‍♂️

Has anyone here who is not a beginner brought a new driver in recent years that was a game changer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭zocklie

Peter finch just shat all over the new Cobra, he was not impressed

Yet Sheils, Crossfield and club champion all rave about them 😂

Well not new but new for me.Bought Callaway Epic Max at a steal of a price late 23 and now it has tamed me it makes a serious difference to ball flught dispersion and distance.

Played with it at 10.5 changed to 12.5 then to 11.5 degree which is perfect for me.

Reckon it will help me win a few boards outings this year and make me a shoo in for Ryder Jug team😂

Having said that previous driver was an R7 draw 2006 edition.

I had a R7! first proper driver I ever bought and probably my favourite I ever had! Remember reading magazines at the time and the ping G10 was one of the best! went into a Premier Golf shop in Newbridge at the time picked it up going to the counter it was like €300 my whole starter set cost €400 😂. Pro in the shop stopped me and asked me have I tried it etc I said no but got great reviews in a magazines he laughed. Brought me over to there bay got me hitting loads of different drivers and ended up with the R7. I never even heard of Taylormade! but I was slicing everything with the Ping! To be honest if I had of bought the ping I probably would of never taking to Golf.. So I have a lot to be thankful to him for! Little does he know 😂

Did you get fit for the Epic @bobster453 ?

I have the same driver. It was a great purchase for me. Before it, I played a TaylorMade M4 and didn't get on with it at all. I'm prone to a slice and the M4 seemed to amplify it, turning a bad slice into a massive banana ball flight.

Bought the Epic Max and the difference is night and day. Much better ball flight. It's not quite as long as the M4 but it still goes a decent distance. It hasn't eliminated the right hand side of the course but even when I do slice it, it's nowhere near as bad. I bought it without ever hitting it which is never a good thing to do, but it worked out very well for me.

Yep first time ever getting fitted.Tried Stealth(just thought it was ugly)Ping G420..i think..(horrible club)

Switched shaft to Regular..ye young lads can keep the S ones

Watch out Boards GOY..I am in your rear view mirror and coming on fast😂

@benny79 I actually still have the R7 and a Burner..along with my sets of Seve..Titlest 775CB..and my current set of Diablo's..golf club hoarder I am..I actually found a few old Balata golf balls in the garage a while back too😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I've seen him play with both. I've never seen someone slice a ball as far when he had the M4, genuinely could be 170yds 90° right of target. Now its a push fade that would end up between two adjacent fairways at worst. Maybe on his longest drive he's losing a small few yards but consistency in terms of length is way up.

It's easily the biggest change I've seen from just changing driver.

I tried the Stealth as well when I got fitted, I was hitting it ok but I hated the look and the sound of it. Suppose it's a fairly superficial reason to overlook a club but it bugged me. Even when I hit it right it didn't sound like I'd hit it right.

I ended up with a G430 and I do like the deep ping noise it makes when you hit it right.

And it also helped tame a horrendous slice that I was prone to. I went in thinking I'd need to get the version specifically designed for the slice correction but it turns out I didn't need it, the max version was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

For on course playing lessons - do you need to be a member of the club / pay green fees for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I wouldn't have thought so, no. You're likely only playing 3 holes or so and with the course pro, so would be covered by the lesson fee i would think

Advertisement