Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Out of curiosity, how much does winter conditions affect your driving distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

It depends for me, I'm not sure what I lose on the carry, maybe 10 yards. But the soft ground with little to no roll out will cost me another 10/20 yards. So in and around 25 yards total on a winters day in soft conditions.

But if its really cold, it could be anywhere from 20/30 yards in the carry with that 10/20 yead roll out loss. I don't like to golf on really cold days for this reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Without setting up another thread, has anyone golfed Bunclody in the last week or two? I'm due to play there this week. How has it held up over, what must have been the wettest winter on record?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Probably anywhere from 10-20% reduced distance on carries. The cold means denser air and more drag on the ball. This equals reduced ball speed and distance. The ground is soft and you've no roll. Add in some wind, rain and extra layers of clothing which will also add up.

I've had a few massive wind-assisted drives recently - easily 280 and 290yd carries. On the other side of the coin, I've nuked a few into the wind and spotted a paltry 215yd on my watch. Normally I'm about 250-260 ish carry in dry average conditions during the regular season.

In general for irons, I'm losing between 1 club to half a club in distance for the winter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's already ruined 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭zocklie

Looking for waterproof trouser recommendations, ideally ones I can wear on their own (not put on over other trousers) that are light. The current pair I have are too heavy and thick, they're uncomfortable after around 6 holes unless it's below 5 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Sunderland are comfortable and lined, so suited to be worn alone.

Life time material guarantee within reason. (rips and tears etc)

Other areas lining zips seams etc 5year guarantee . €100--- €130 Approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Just wish someone would make a shorts version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭boccy23

I got a recommendation here for Regatta waterproof walking trousers. Use them for all my Winter golf. Warm and waterproof and are worn alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

It sounds like these are what your looking for.

Not "golf" gear, but I put them on before a round if the forecast is bad and I don't want to be messing with taking wet gear on and off all day. Put them on an leave them on. Good in bad weather, cold wet conditions, but if there's a shower forecast in summer, then I prefer to wear shorts or light trousers, wait for the shower to happen and carry a lighter set that are easier to take on or off on the move.

• Advertisement

For days where it's due to be showery I have these:

I don't really like wearing the full waterproofs so only put them on if the weather is really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I’ve quite a few Regatta waterproof items, ¾ zips, trousers, gilets and jackets, and I find their stuff excellent. And great value for money! 

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Does anyone think golf club pricing is going to come to a head at some point? I just don't understand the prices they've gotten to in recent years. Seems like people just won't buy them new anymore? I think there could be a real market for second hand club fitting, where a full set that suits you would cost you a reasonable amount of money .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

As long as they sell enough they'll continue to make them at that price point.

Some of the prices are eye watering. New wedges is something I do every few years and those alone can be €200 a club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

How would that work though? Golfbidder is closest to that and they’ve a much bigger population than here, to the best of my knowledge they do not fit. You can try them out I think though. Can’t see how someone could make money fitting second hand.

Same way they make money from new clubs, sell the clubs at a mark up to what they pay for them, and charge for the fitting. It would be more hassle to source the clubs consistently I could imagine, but if you got a good setup going you could probably make a few hundreds quid per set and people would be able to spend 5/600 rather than 1500 quid. You could focus on a subset of heads you know well and get universal mounts for them and stock a load of shafts, as they are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

They do it at Celebridge driving range they have a shop The Golf studio. There always advertising clubs on adverts.

How many lads would just turn up, do the fitting and then buy themselves cheaper without the markup? Lots of people do that already for new clubs so they’d have to charge a set fee of €100-150 I think regardless of whether you buy from them. It’s not a bad idea but I just think if it was viable someone would already be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

impossible to get constant flow of stock for clubs that people will want. many of the heads can not be bent to spec which is a major factor in custom fitting lie angles

shafts are also very expensive to stock

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

shafts ain't cheap anymore.

mark up on clubs in generally under 20%. so your not making hundreds on any 2nd hand sets

• Advertisement

That's how all fitting places work already? I just think if clubs end up being 2k for a set in a few years we might see some people start doing it.

Foregolf/Concept golf yeah but they also charge more for clubs in my experience than the big retailers, halpenny/Mcguirks is €50 but that comes off the price if you buy. To the best of my knowledge even with the higher prices the margins on clubs/shafts etc. are pretty tight. If it was a viable concept it would exist in the US/UK, Ireland just too small a market for it IMO.

I lost my favourite club, my 48 Vokey wedge. First club I ever got an eagle with. My go to club when laying up.

Sleep well my friend...may you find a better golfer than I 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

John Catlin shoot's 59 in Macau

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

When you just know from day one, your captaincy is going to be a very long year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Who stands in front of someone teeing off.

Idiots

Seed Golf are selling off big boxes of balls that are misprints. Issue is purely cosmetic.

€80 for 50 balls, €135 for 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I bought these myself and even the misprint issue is barely noticeable. If you use seeds then it is definitely great value.

Performance wise seeds seem to be mostly level with the premium balls but I think their durability lets them down. Haven't played a round yet where the ball doesn't get significantly roughed up.

Mine arrived this morning, they look almost perfect!

Never used Seed balls before, going to try them at Corballis.

• Advertisement

Hybrid or a 5w/7w?

I've a big gap in my bag, 4i (21°) goes 190-200, then its my 3w (15°) at 220-240. Need something in that 200-220 range. I've never used a hybrid, so was leaning towards the fairway wood, but curious what everyone else uses.

Advertisement