Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

AMKC wrote: »
    Yep that was a great season alright. If there was one year I could go back and watch all over again it would be that year for me.

Cracking season and one where I got a few friends into F1 was great to actually go to a quiet bar and watch a race not on my own. Sadly not one of them still watching anymore after the last few years, not even the quiet bar ha.

My highlight was Schumacher getting 3rd in Valencia, was a close to a soccer fan shouting at the tv in a pub when he was on the last lap as I will ever get I think, mates thought I was nuts, was a great laugh looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Santan wrote: »
    Cracking season and one where I got a few friends into F1 was great to actually go to a quiet bar and watch a race not on my own. Sadly not one of them still watching anymore after the last few years, not even the quiet bar ha.

My highlight was Schumacher getting 3rd in Valencia, was a close to a soccer fan shouting at the tv in a pub when he was on the last lap as I will ever get I think, mates thought I was nuts, was a great laugh looking back.
    The 2012 European Grand Prix, it sure was great seeing Schumi on the podium, which was his last one in F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,714 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How cool would it be if a TagHeuer shop opened in Ireland. Who knows maybe in the future. I see they have some in the UK.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The 2012 European Grand Prix, it sure was great seeing Schumi on the podium, which was his last one in F1.

I remember thinking the last 3 or 4 Valencia grand prix being really boring and this is not one to get my friends interested in, well was I wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

In today's episode of absolute amadán-ism...

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1381928903468548098

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I bet he didn't even like F1 'too many foreigners'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Amazing how uk centric F1 is. An Italian GP accommodating a UK royal family member.

It will move away a from Europe to the emerging markets in Asia, America and potentially even Africa when the market conditions suit.

Uk F1 fans will sh1t when f1 moves the uk race weekend to mark the death of some Chinese person who they have never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I bet he didn't even like F1 'too many foreigners'
    https://twitter.com/_markgallagher/status/1380501550129238018?s=19

I wonder if they would be as accommodating if it was a member of the Spanish or Dutch or Monaco royal families?

Ms

Now all we need is for Channel 4 to fix there schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Amazing how uk centric F1 is. An Italian GP accommodating a UK royal family member.

It will move away a from Europe to the emerging markets in Asia, America and potentially even Africa when the market conditions suit.

Uk F1 fans will sh1t when f1 moves the uk race weekend to mark the death of some Chinese person who they have never heard of.

Given that all the coverage of Prince Philip on Friday received the highest number of complaints in UK TV history, perhaps they won't be happy about these schedule changes either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

As Reddit and Twitter pointing out, this might be more down to Sky UK having a stranglehold over a lot of the coverage globally. Sky UK will not broadcast near the funeral (it's set for 3pm; quality was originally set for 2pm so it would have clashed) so Sky UK had the power to change it.

Still rather nuts though.

Has a schedule had to be changed like this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Has a schedule had to be changed like this before?

When Princess Di ITV (or RTE I think) didn't show live qualifying for the Italian GP, as it clashed with the funeral. But they showed it around midnight that night. (I remember being extremely annoyed that qualifying wasn't on live.) But I don't believe session times were changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭barryribs

Santan wrote: »
    I remember thinking the last 3 or 4 Valencia grand prix being really boring and this is not one to get my friends interested in, well was I wrong

It was the last race I was at! Ended up at a table next to the Mercedes team at a restaurant on the Thursday night. There was an Irish guy racing in GP3 at the time too. Great city, great weekend, shame about the track

barryribs wrote: »
    It was the last race I was at! Ended up at a table next to the Mercedes team at a restaurant on the Thursday night. There was an Irish guy racing in GP3 at the time too. Great city, great weekend, shame about the track

I believe Alonso won as well, I think anyway can remember the Spanish crowd going crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

This week F1 mixing up the press conferences! Not just teammates except for Alpha Tauri keeping their two together.

My picks of best pairings:
    Hamilton and Vettel
    Verstappen and Schumacher
    Alonso and Norris

Ocon and Bottas for me the most boring.
    Mazepin with Kimi will be interesting. Should have time for the rookie to speak with how short Kimi is in interviews!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jordan 199 wrote: »

I was at that race! Have some very distant photos of the podium somewhere!

Also, I was walking back from the bar and a Ferrari cap landed at my feet. I picked it up and saw a guy basically running towards me. Assumed his cap went flying and handed it to him. Turned out it was a signed Alonso cap that Alonso threw over the barrier from his car (my seat was at row 2 or 3 I think). Still kick myself about that to this day!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We're looking at cooler temps this weekend in imola. 12 or 13 degrees. That will probably mean an unusual weekend but I wonder who will prefer the lower temps and who will be able to take advantage.

Formula 1 RSS UK: What's the weather forecast for the 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola?.
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.whats-the-weather-forecast-for-the-2021-emilia-romagna-grand-prix-at-imola.4GCBcO0eZgKfCLHtEFIqS8.html

Ms

So there will be lots of new data on screen at this weekends race by AWS

In the meantime, AWS and F1 will be trying to keep viewers engaged with more on-screen insights, such as how hard a driver is pushing their car, relative to its potential, as well as braking performance – showing how close to the apex of a corner a driver is slamming on the anchors. These new ‘Insights’ as AWS calls them, will be on screen for the first time at this weekend’s Emillia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-news-f1/can-amazon-deliver-closer-racing-f1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looks like Canada is going to be cancelled.

I live in Canada, and can confirm that covid is ruining a lot of plans people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looks like Canada is going to be cancelled.

I live in Canada, and can confirm that covid is ruining a lot of plans people have.
    It's not until June and will probably be behind closed doors anyway. It just depends on the quarantine rules by then. Formula E managed to hold two races in a closed down Rome last weekend so no doubt Monaco and Baku paid attention as to how they did it.

In other news, any of you boardsies responsible for this flag?
    https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1382696041305227264?s=19

Least I hope it's an Irish flag and not an Italian that's gotten faded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

flazio wrote: »
    It's not until June and will probably be behind closed doors anyway. It just depends on the quarantine rules by then. Formula E managed to hold two races in a closed down Rome last weekend so no doubt Monaco and Baku paid attention as to how they did it.

In other news, any of you boardsies responsible for this flag?
    https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1382696041305227264?s=19

Least I hope it's an Irish flag and not an Italian that's gotten faded.

It's been cancelled.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-motor-f1-canada/motor-racing-canadian-grand-prix-cancelled-for-second-year-cbc-idUKKBN2C22K2?edition-redirect=uk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If Canada's cancelled, I don't have much hope for Mexico or Brazil.

AMKC wrote: »
    So there will be lots of new data on screen at this weekends race by AWS

In the meantime, AWS and F1 will be trying to keep viewers engaged with more on-screen insights, such as how hard a driver is pushing their car, relative to its potential, as well as braking performance – showing how close to the apex of a corner a driver is slamming on the anchors. These new ‘Insights’ as AWS calls them, will be on screen for the first time at this weekend’s Emillia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-news-f1/can-amazon-deliver-closer-racing-f1

I'll be interested in what nonsense scale/metric they use for how hard drivers are pushing. At the end of the day they're driving to a slow delta for 90+% of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I could see Turkey featuring again this year.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'll be interested in what nonsense scale/metric they use for how hard drivers are pushing. At the end of the day they're driving to a slow delta for 90+% of the race.

Sky will use it to praise hamiton regardless.
    When he is doing hammertime, they will be pointing out that he is getting everything out of the car and when he is cruising out front, they will be calling it genius that he can be out front using only 70 percent of performance available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

In theory, the quantity of telemetry being captured combined with some decent data analysis could give some very interesting insights. In reality, the stuff they've done so far has been poor and I'm skeptical about what they're planning.

If you want to see what telemetry data of someone driving on the absolute ragged edge looks like, check out this video:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I know this is from last year, but hadn't watched it yey.

What's great is the radio communications which red bull have obviously shared with F1 for our benefit.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I could see Turkey featuring again this year.

Fingers crossed. Was a cracking race last year, though obviously the weather and a new, oily track played a massive part in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Glico Man wrote: »
    Fingers crossed. Was a cracking race last year, though obviously the weather and a new, oily track played a massive part in that.

Read yesterday that turkey was on standby for Canada. So looks like a shoe in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I know this is from last year, but hadn't watched it yey.

What's great is the radio communications which red bull have obviously shared with F1 for our benefit.

All those Inside Track episodes that follow a race are fantastic even if you know the result of a race

I assume they're supposed to be behind F1's paywall cause I often come across one uploaded by a dodgy looking youtube channel and by the time I'm able to watch it it's been removed, but it's usually available on places like Dailymotion

A great new perspective on already great races like Brazil 2019

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement