Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Bigus wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s about beating LeClerc, Sainz, is a classy , intelligent, hard working guy who will pull the whole Ferrari team and image up to a higher rung, and inspire the whole organisation .

As a landed gentry friend of mine used to say

“we’re not dealing with muck here”

he’s pure class in the old moneyed gentleman sense, yet fierce hard working, which seems a bit lacking elsewhere.

And he's popular too. He could build a bit of a fanbase, expand on the Spanish interest that Alonso spurred. Could put a bit of pressure on LeClerc, especially considering how vicious the Italian media can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I really wonder how Ferrari will do. I think expectations are so low that they could exceed expectations relatively easily. But last year's car was occasionally very good, particularly in qualifying. LeClerc qualified in the top 10 regularly and even as high as 4th. Vettel was all at sea most of the time but the speed was there in the car at times. People often say something to the effect of: that driver is getting more speed out of than car than the car has. Last year people suggested LeClerc outperformed the car. Well, he didn't. It's just something people say as a way to praise the driver or relieve pressure on their underperforming teammate.

Ferrari is getting a new engine this year and they will have two competitive drivers so that is bound to help. And hopefully they can iron out some of the aspects that made the car hard to manage. They could be right in the mix for third in the constructor's alongside Mclaren, Alpine, Aston Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

554455604_171398161_1706x960.jpg

carlos-sainz-jr-essais-fiorano-2021-1024x425.jpg

bb9c5674-bbc5-47b2-a090-a2971996d0f4.jpeg

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/1354498694914179072

Vettel getting very aerodynamic like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Maybe he was driving without his helmet and it just blew off? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'm sure he had a lot more hair a month ago!! He's almost unrecognisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Did the Ferrari always have mirrors mounted on the halo? Don't think I noticed it before.

I thought that was an engineer until you pointed out it’s Seb!

recyclebin wrote: »
    Did the Ferrari always have mirrors mounted on the halo? Don't think I noticed it before.

I think so. And I think they were almost completely aerodynamic aids and useless as mirrors so they were banned. But I think that was the design.

Which year are those cars are from? 2017?

Edit: it’s the 2018 car with halo mounted wings.

FIA explains why Ferrari’s Halo mirrors will be banned

https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/14/fia-explains-why-ferraris-halo-mirrors-will-be-banned/

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »

It did, but they were banned soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Must be to save on weight and he is just shaving it now to get used to it and so people get used to him lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Maybe it is the 2018 car Sainz is driving there. The sidepods look the same too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

AMKC wrote: »
    Must be to save on weight and he is just shaving it now to get used to it and so people get used to him lol.

It must've been one hell of a last year at Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Season 3 will be there (apologies if already posted earlier)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRf8Wm6SWSc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ Seb :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

AMKC wrote: »
    Its quite a look for him, shows the impact of his ferrari years!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

Well, Seb was known for immersing himself in the culture at Ferrari, learning Italian etc. Clearly, driving for Aston Martin, he thought it would best to be properly British by taking on the guise of Prince William!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sad news - while his F1 efforts where more to do with his financial backers he was a very successful team owner and manager. A young man at 60 in today's terms - Adrian RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

McLaren launch on the 15th of February at 7PM. Will be broadcast live on Sky Sports F1.

Really sad news this, he helped a lot of drivers through the years. RIP.

Mick Schumacher behind the wheel of a Ferrari at Fiorano:

Mick-Schumcher-Ferrari-Test-Fiorano-Test-2021-169Gallery-f4d593bd-1761487.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Going for his uncle's primary helmet design I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Well it worked for Stirling Moss . Vettel only getting his pension fund filled from now on . A spent force

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

robinwing wrote: »
    Well it worked for Stirling Moss . Vettel only getting his pension fund filled from now on . A spent force

As a Championship contender, definitely. However I reckon he still has at least one more race win in him.

flazio wrote: »
    As a Championship contender, definitely. However I reckon he still has at least one more race win in him.

Ah yeah but under the right set of circumstances, they all have a win in them. Gasley and Perez won last year through massive luck. Gasley drove a very good season and that would be true whether he won a race or not.

They both won the race and that’s on their record, but it a pretty misleading stat and doesn’t actually tell you anything about them that you wouldn’t learn from looking at their form from the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Ah yeah but under the right set of circumstances, they all have a win in them. Gasley and Perez won last year through massive luck. Gasley drove a very good season and that would be true whether he won a race or not.

They both won the race and that’s on their record, but it a pretty misleading stat and doesn’t actually tell you anything about them that you wouldn’t learn from looking at their form from the season.

It tells you that they can handle pressure and do not choke , it tells you they are winners and capable of doing it again given favorable circumstances but probably need some luck also. Hopefully the Mercs will suffer by the compulsory aerodynamic reduction calculation in 2021 and wont be all dominant. Most people are sick of watching them walk away from the field. Russell would be a very cheap replacement for Bothas . That would shake things up a bit. But sadly none of that will happen in all honesty

So have any of you been or are watching anything F1 related during the off-season? I watched the '87 and '89 season reviews so far on YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    So have any of you been or are watching anything F1 related during the off-season? I watched the '87 and '89 season reviews so far on YouTube.

I watch a few f12020 youtubers and whenever I see an interesting full race on youtube I watch it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement