Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

You're clearly offended by the word slave, and while I'm not going into an argument on a Formula 1 message board, however I suggest you do a bit of research (even a quick google to educate yourself) on the Kafala labour system they use in Saudi Arabia. It is essentially modern slavery, hence my use of the word slave.

Considering the mountain of documented evidence on the exploitation of migrant workers in Saudi Arabia and most of the Middle East, I'm unsure why you've taken umbrage with the use of the word 'slave', considering they are akin to modern slaves with very little, if any rights. Again, my previous post was facetious, however you've decided to take offence to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

You are so right, wrong forum for this discussion. But I would suggest that you update yourself with reports of modern living standards for migrant workers in Saudi Arabia, around the last 3-5 years. As for those “slaves”, I can probably give you the phone numbers of a 100 of them if you want to hear their stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The ones he would be talking about aren't allowed to have phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

You might want to have a read of those reports yourself, particularly the ones concerning the treatment of their slave, sorry "migrant" workers during the pandemic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not sure if mentioned earlier in the thread, but did anyone see Damon Hill's effort of a moustache? Between that and his eyebrows, I actually think it ages him around 20 years. It really doesn't suit him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

VW group companies are involved in a lot of other motorsport series and employ a large number of drivers. I'd imagine their thinking is if they had high earning F1 drivers on their books then all the other drivers will be coming looking for increases. It could lead to VW dropping out of other series because they likely have a fixed motorsport budget so not good for motorsport overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well good on them. I for one hope they do not get into F1 at all. F1 do not need them. Its perfect now the way it is and with who is in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Perfect as it is? Do you mean this year specifically or do you mean the likes of Haas, Williams and AR being miles off the pace? This year is a one off at the end of a formula with diminishing development returns and performance conversion. Where everyone has copied more of each others parts and is focused on next year's car anyway. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but we're likely to have a more stratified grid next year than this year.

They're at the beginning of the cost cap era which is designed to make it more competitive and encourage new teams into the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

F1 needs more engine manufacturers. Mercedes-Benz have themselves and 3 customer teams, Ferrari have 2 customers, Honda have a works deal with the Red Bull teams which is going in house next year and Renault only have their own Alpine team. No way is that perfect. I remember in the late 90s, aside from Benetton and Williams sharing the works Renault, every team seemed to have their own exclusive engine supplier. Granted some of them like Hart and Yamaha were never exactly competitive but they existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Always difficult to predict the weather 6 days in advance, but provisionally Brazil looks to be a wet one. Could get interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And it's a Sprint, so it should certainly be intetesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So what are the sums now on Max winning the WDC. If Max were to only come second in the last four races and Lewis got 1st in all of them seen as there is only 19 points in it now I take it that Lewis would win bit if when Max wins his next race be it Brazil or somewhere else does that mean he will then have the WDC no matter what Hamilton does?

As for what I said om maybe it's not perfect with Haas but that was there decision not to develop there car. As for AR and Williams well they have been OK this year. Hopefully next year will see most of the grid competitive. I want to see at least 10 or more different winners next year. That would make for a great season in F1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Rules changes usually make things less competitive in the beginning as there's greater scope to diverge in development and some get it more right than others. Someone might jump up the order which would be exciting but Mercedes winning everything by a country mile is no better than Red Bull winning everything by a country mile. And those are the two situations we've had in the last 2 formula formula changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McFly85

If Lewis wins the sprint race but max wins the race, Hamilton could technically catch him for at least a draw in the points by winning the last 3 + getting fastest lap I think, but I would consider that incredibly unlikely as RB would definitely sacrifice at least one of Checos races by sticking a new set of softs on late on to ensure that doesn’t happen.

I think if Max wins this weekend then something would have to go wrong for him to not secure the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Incidentally, what happens in the event of a draw in the WDC points after the final race? Do they go through the season as a whole and weigh up performance or what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McFly85

In the event of a tie, driver with the most first places will win, if that’s the same then the most second places etc until a winner is found, so it would go to Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yep, although it's never happened before in F1. Closest finish was half a point in 1984 between Prost and Lauda. Champ Car did have a tie in 1999 though. Montoya beat Franchitti on number of wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭klose

Was watching a 2013 season review and was surprised to see the likes of Renault supplying PU's to 4 different teams, just alpine these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Lost it after Redbull.....

Now they are shite and no one would take it. Red bull is about to spend billions rather than take a Renault engine :<

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

New corners at Abu Dhabi.

• Advertisement

I wasn't so sure about the corner at the end of the second long straight but it looks like they've made the same mistake at both new corners, nowhere near hard enough braking zones. That was the issue at the first sport before, they were turning into the chicane with not that much braking beforehand, will likely be similar with the new configuration. Double DRS will be the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Renault have a seriously impressive history in F1. I wouldn't be too fast to rubbish them.

They were at the cutting edge long before red bull and likely will be after red bull as well.

They didn't bring in their sport brand to F1 to fail. They have chassis and Engine in house which can only be good. They could do with a B team or customer to get some more engine mileage in testing but I think they are here to win in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The wet races at Interlagos are the best ones. Must try to watch the epic 2003 race sometime this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Is that the race with Alonso having a big accident and Fisichella ending up with the win in the Jordan a few days later?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

As did Mark Webber. I don't know if it's still there but someone put the full race up on YouTube with RTÉ commentary if you can track it down. Real nostalgia fest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fisichella only got awarded the win a few days after the event

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭RoryMac

And Fisichella's car burst into flames when he got back to the pits

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Webber had the accident and Alonso hit some debris from the crash, I think it might even have been a wheel. Fisi had got a jump on Kimi, I think because Jordan had fueled early to go the full distance and when the others started to pit, Fisi ended up temporarily in the lead in probably one of the worst Jordans ever, and then they called the race. Pretty sure it was covered in an episode of the excellent Bring Back V10s podcast recently enough.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement