Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

unkel wrote: »
    Is "i7 10700k" written differently in Dutch than it is in English? :p:D :pac:

No, but it might be hard to see the difference between "In Stock" and "Delivery Date Unknown".

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Tried ordering from overclockers, I now get "Your delivery method is not available"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

JoyPad wrote: »
    No, but it might be hard to see the difference between "In Stock" and "Delivery Date Unknown".

Have you heard of Google Translate? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

TheRover wrote: »
    Some components seem to be cheaper in amazon.fr than in amazon.de, but unsure how shipping works in both cases

Stock availability can also be an issue. I was hoping to get a couple of 2TB Samsung Evo 970s and ended up with the PNY alternative as the nearest in-stock equivalent. A lot of the stuff advertised as in stock actually comes up as stock expected in a couple of weeks when you go to order it. Haven't used the .fr site before but have used the .es site and had no issues. The .de site has an English language version which is handier though no big issue with Google translate as Unkel pointed out. Must try that hagglezon site next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

unkel wrote: »
    Delivered in NL next day, like they promised. Seems a very good site with excellent prices (better than Amazon)

Is there a NL parcel motel type service?
    TheRover wrote: »
    All it's missing is a "this site in English" button :D

Every foreign language website I visit is automatically translated using chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

7eb8f72cf6.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

things getting worse. not only the sellers now. DPD pausing all outbound deliveries from the UK due to what a $h&Tshow it all is

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/0108/1188437-brexit-deliveries/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Has anyone purchased anything from https://www.alternate.de/?

I tried to buy a G.Skill RAM kit which is nearly €100 cheaper there than Amazon UK and I'm waiting for them to mail me an 'offer'...

The RAM in question in case anyone is interested: https://www.alternate.de/G-Skill/DIMM-32-GB-DDR4-3600-Quad-Kit-Arbeitsspeicher/html/product/1584637?campaign=DDR4/G.Skill/1584637

DPD pausing deliveries from UK to Ireland over Brexit

Read More...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Revenue temporarily eases some customs requirements

Read More...

• Advertisement

ronivek wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased anything from https://www.alternate.de/?

I tried to buy a G.Skill RAM kit which is nearly €100 cheaper there than Amazon UK and I'm waiting for them to mail me an 'offer'...

The RAM in question in case anyone is interested: https://www.alternate.de/G-Skill/DIMM-32-GB-DDR4-3600-Quad-Kit-Arbeitsspeicher/html/product/1584637?campaign=DDR4/G.Skill/1584637

Your link has the G.Skill Trident Z 32gb 4x8 3600mhz Ram kit at €374, sellers on amazon.de list G.Skill Trident Z 2x16 3600mhz Ram kit from €198, see https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/offer-listing/B07VNJFR67

We're all fooked now!

Read More...

guess my package hadn't made ireland after all. got the below update just now from Overclockers: and i don't think this is any way related to the value but to the DPD announcement i linked to above

We are really sorry to inform you that your delivery has been held by DPD and will be returned to Overclockers UK due to issues with new processes following Brexit.

When we receive the parcels back from DPD we will be able to send them to you again, or alternatively you can choose to receive a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,255 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Now I can't return that faulty GPU, and then won't be able to send it back!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SomeRandom NameBoy

OverClockers.co.uk really shafted me the last few days - accepting orders, cancelling them, jacking up prices etc. Really nasty experience. So... any recommendations for suppliers (CPU, fans, PSU, NVME) who'll ship to Ireland? First time builder so don't know who's reliable at all! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

OverClockers.co.uk really shafted me the last few days - accepting orders, cancelling them, jacking up prices etc. Really nasty experience. So... any recommendations for suppliers (CPU, fans, PSU, NVME) who'll ship to Ireland? First time builder so don't know who's reliable at all! Thanks.

worst possible time to build a pc that i have seen..even worse than 2016..with scalpers and brexit and now china adding its own tariffs to electronics manufactured there its a perfect storm of ****e
    But if i actually had to buy components i would stick to the amazon EU sites like .de .be. fr .it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hmmmm, I'm in market for an i7 9700K and new Gigabyte Aorus motherboard to match. Prices are ok on Amazon de but they've been lower. What do people reckon? The only way is up or the prices will come back down soon?

smacl wrote: »
    Your link has the G.Skill Trident Z 32gb 4x8 3600mhz Ram kit at €374, sellers on amazon.de list G.Skill Trident Z 2x16 3600mhz Ram kit from €198, see https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/offer-listing/B07VNJFR67

Cheers for the heads up!

The RAM I linked is the higher performance CL14 version. Not really worth the difference in price but I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose.

I'm a long time customer with an embarrassing amount spent there and it is pretty frustrating alright. However I don't think any retailers are coming out of this smelling like roses; between part supply shortages, Brexit, and Covid it's a bit of a disaster for anyone trying to sell computer parts.

Personally I've just ordered a few bits from amazon.co.uk and they're giving delivery dates towards the end of January for items which are in stock.

I've also ordered a few bits from https://www.computeruniverse.net/ although I've never used them before.

The biggest issue I have now is the case. I had my eye on a Phanteks 500a but with tempered glass in it I really don't fancy shipping it from mainland Europe; and I can't find it anywhere I'm comfortable ordering.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I'm in market for an i7 9700K and new Gigabyte Aorus motherboard to match. Prices are ok on Amazon de but they've been lower. What do people reckon? The only way is up or the prices will come back down soon?

Needed a couple of new PCs for the office, nothing special in terms of spec. For the kit I was after buying complete PCs currently is coming out cheaper than buying parts and building. Wouldn't be my first choice as you can end up with sketchy PSUs and other parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I've also ordered a few bits from https://www.computeruniverse.net/ although I've never used them before.

The biggest issue I have now is the case. I had my eye on a Phanteks 500a but with tempered glass in it I really don't fancy shipping it from mainland Europe; and I can't find it anywhere I'm comfortable ordering.

I got a Phanteks 400 with glass and it was well packed from Amazon Germany, got a GPU from computeruniverse and they were fine, not the fastest but ok tracking etc. at least until it got to Ireland and then it was An Post then it just appeared at the door without notice :rolleyes:

Fionn wrote: »
    I got a Phanteks 400 with glass and it was well packed from Amazon Germany, got a GPU from computeruniverse and they were fine, not the fastest but ok tracking etc. at least until it got to Ireland and then it was An Post then it just appeared at the door without notice :rolleyes:

Yeah I get the impression the availability status on computeruniverse might be a little iffy; many of the complaints I’ve heard about them are about overall order times. It doesn’t really bother me too much and out of all the sites I tried theirs was the easiest to figure out Irish delivery charges.

For now I’ve amended my existing Overclockers order and hoping DPD sort themselves out before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

I'm watching on an order from overclockers and received this email yesterday 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I got an H500 with tempered glass a couple of years ago, it shipped from mainland EU (don't remember if Poland or Germany) and got here without issue - packaging was basically worthy of a tank.
    I'm watching on an order from overclockers and received this email yesterday ��

Let's be honest and straight here: the fact retailers and delivery companies are utterly unprepared is a complete travesty; This is a spectacular case of "you had one job!", and they had known since bloody 2016. It's very clear by now they were just sitting there betting a free trade deal.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Let's be honest and straight here: the fact retailers and delivery companies are utterly unprepared is a complete travesty; This is a spectacular case of "you had one job!", and they had known since bloody 2016. It's very clear by now they were just sitting there betting a free trade deal.

Agreed, thoough to be fair, the covid outbreak has added another spanner into the works. I also doubt that many of the computer parts sellers and major hauliers consider the Irish market as the most important part of their business.

Tracking for the stuff I ordered on amazon.de on Monday is showing as due for delivery on Friday. Be interesting to see if it shows up on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

I have been looking at buying a new car in the UK for a few weeks now.
    I think I'll have to wait until the end of the year before I can buy it here.

smacl wrote: »

Tracking for the stuff I ordered on amazon.de on Monday is showing as due for delivery on Friday. Be interesting to see if it shows up on time.

2 weeks? folk on boards.ie will have a meltdown, there was freak outs over 2 day shipping from UK

mossym wrote: »
    2 weeks? folk on boards.ie will have a meltdown, there was freak outs over 2 day shipping from UK

Expectations may have to change for the short term so ;) Lot of stuff being returned to suppliers and not getting through at all over the Christmas break. I send a small package, priority tracked, via an post on the 22nd to NL and it still hasn't got there. Similarly waiting for other stuff ordered before Christmas from Germany. Whole thing is an utter shambles at the moment, i really hope it gets sorted in the next month to six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The stickies need to be updated tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Fionn wrote: »

In the same boat, looking for a white BeQuiet 500DX. amazon UK don't have, UK shops that have it aren't shipping, a bit afraid to try shops farther away

Advertisement