Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Might be useful for some, due to the no VAT under 22€ from Amazon.co.uk, here's a 240gb SSD for 18.5€ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D3ACIR6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

Up to £23 now sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Hi guys and gals. i was just wondering post brexit, is there a place where i can build and buy a pc ? i am presuming ones bulit and shipped from the uk, i would be robbed on tax coming into ireland. any body have any suggestions? i was going to try komplete.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

mamaz wrote: »
    Up to £23 now sadly!

And that's pounds not euro's

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

And that's pounds not euro's

Hence the £...

I'm not too sure what you meant by this message tbh haha

• Advertisement

Okay - so I've put together https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ds7RHz

On the lookout for a second hand GPU and not sure on what PSU to get and whether or not to just order it off the German Amazon.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

mamaz wrote: »
    Hence the £...

I'm not too sure what you meant by this message tbh haha

I was referring to TheRovers mention of no VAT under 22€.

Your mention of "Up to £23 now sadly!" would put it well over EUR22 even before the conversion, removal of UK VAT and addition of Irish VAT.
    TheRover wrote: »
    Might be useful for some, due to the no VAT under 22€ from Amazon.co.uk, here's a 240gb SSD for 18.5€ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D3ACIR6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Ah right - I was just pointing out it's current price more than anything tbh to point out that the chance was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Homelander

Where's the best place to buy from now really? I want to replace my 2700X, it's okay-ish but I find it's falling down a bit in very CPU heavy games and bottlenecking my RTX3070 a lot.

I was thinking even an i5-10400F will be fine for me in these games with a way more stable framerate, and I won't be out much by switching from B450/2700X to B460M/10400F. Not sure where to buy from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Homelander wrote: »
    Where's the best place to buy from now really? I want to replace my 2700X, it's okay-ish but I find it's falling down a bit in very CPU heavy games and bottlenecking my RTX3070 a lot.

I was thinking even an i5-10400F will be fine for me in these games with a way more stable framerate, and I won't be out much by switching from B450/2700X to B460M/10400F. Not sure where to buy from though.

You can buy from any UK PC retailer/PC builder which apply Irish (21% until March and back to 23% after March) VAT, not the UK one. If UK VAT applied, you'll need to pay Irish VAT at a border so it's a 21% loss.

As far as I'm aware, PCs and some if not all of their parts are zero tarriff, according to Money Guide Ireland.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

If you want hassle free, try Germany, Netherlands, France, Italy, Poland for better prices (if - who knows?) from their PC online shops (just make aure they're not based in the UK).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Maxburns have the 10400f for a couple quid more than Amazon, and a few b460m mobos.

https://www.maxburns.ie/catalog/product/view/id/32788/s/intel-core-i5-10400f-1200-retail-118981/
    https://www.maxburns.ie/msi-1200-mag-b460m-mortar-m-atx-119105.html

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Was chatting with Currys there who said there should be 5600x stock (on Irish site) in 7-10 days. Might be pure horsesh*t or very limited but I'll be keeping an eye on it anyway. Currys UK have stock currently but idk how one would get it shipped here and avoid incurring Irish VAT. Maybe through parcelmotel up North or something?

Edit: Amazon.de have 3600 for €199 but slated to be in stock on the 17th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was referring to TheRovers mention of no VAT under 22€.

Your mention of "Up to £23 now sadly!" would put it well over EUR22 even before the conversion, removal of UK VAT and addition of Irish VAT.
    Just to point out, they do not collect VAT under €6 as it is considered a negligible amount, which means that with current VAT rates @ 21%, your total could be up to €28.50 including shipping and VAT would not be collected (€28.50 VAT is €5.99).

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/customs/reliefs/customs-treatment-of-gifts-and-items-of-negligible-value.pdf
    3 De Minimis Limit
    The de minimis limit means that the liability to be collected is below a certain amount and therefore will not be collected. The de minimis limit applies only to VAT from 01 May 2016 as the UCC (Regulation (EU) no. 952/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 October 2013 laying down the Union Customs Code) has removed the de minimis limit for customs duty. The de minimis rule does not apply to excise duty where applicable. Where the VAT liability on any consignment amounts to less than or equal to €6 it should not be collected.

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Was chatting with Currys there who said there should be 5600x stock (on Irish site) in 7-10 days. Might be pure horsesh*t or very limited but I'll be keeping an eye on it anyway. Currys UK have stock currently but idk how one would get it shipped here and avoid incurring Irish VAT. Maybe through parcelmotel up North or something?

Edit: Amazon.de have 3600 for €199 but slated to be in stock on the 17th January.

The 5600X would be ideal but really a 5600X setup would cost me €450, where I can get the 10400F + B460M for €250.

It's not that the 2700X is bad, it's grand for 90% of games but there's a few really CPU heavy games I play where Intel just performs much better.

Battlefield V is one of them. It runs way better on Intel CPU's.

Not looking to really spend much though so a side-grade to the 10400F will do nicely I think.

The 5600X would be ideal but really a 5600X setup would cost me €450, where I can get the 10400F + B460M for €250.

It's not that the 2700X is bad, it's grand for 90% of games but there's a few really CPU heavy games I play where Intel just performs much better.

Battlefield V is one of them. It runs way better on Intel CPU's.

Not looking to really spend much though so a side-grade to the 10400F will do nicely I think.

Consider the 3300 if you can find it, Tech Jesus rated it as the gaming CPU of 2020 along with the 5600X

It's a good budget option but it wouldn't really make any sense for me. I already have a 8c/16t 2700X, the IPC just isn't great for some games at high refresh which is why I'm looking at the i5-10400.

The 3300 is a 4c/8t processor, same as the €80 Intel i3-10100.

It's a good budget option but it wouldn't really make any sense for me. I already have a 8c/16t 2700X, the IPC just isn't great for some games at high refresh which is why I'm looking at the i5-10400.

The 3300 is a 4c/8t processor, same as the €80 Intel i3-10100.

With a high 3.8GHz core speed, which is the main important thing on a gaming CPU. Barely any games will use more than 4 cores anyway.

Not future proof like the 5600X, but imo a better option than a 10400 (for which you still have to get an expensive mobo and a cooler)

I really can't see in what world it's a better option than a 10400. It's slower in games and it has less cores and threads.

As I said we are talking here in the context of I already have a Ryzen 2700X, it's just not great for high refresh in some select games like BFV which is why I'm considering the side-move, the game prefers Intel by a wide margin.

A 3300 would be an actual downgrade. Also it is quite wrong to say that barely any games use more than 4 cores. Loads of games scale across more cores than that and have done for years.

Fair enough if someone said it was a great budget CPU 12 months ago, it was. But it's hardly an i5-10400 beater and also I don't even think it is even available anymore.

The slower Ryzen 3100 is available I think and also the Intel i3-10100 is €80 and just as good.

I really can't see in what world it's a better option than a 10400. It's slower in games and it has less cores and threads.

As I said we are talking here in the context of I already have a Ryzen 2700X, it's just not great for high refresh in some select games like BFV which is why I'm considering the side-move, the game prefers Intel by a wide margin.

A 3300 would be an actual downgrade. Also it is quite wrong to say that barely any games use more than 4 cores. Loads of games scale across more cores than that and have done for years.

Fair enough if someone said it was a great budget CPU 12 months ago, it was. But it's hardly an i5-10400 beater and also I don't even think it is even available anymore.

The slower Ryzen 3100 is available I think and also the Intel i3-10100 is €80 and just as good.

Rule of thumb for gaming, you don't really care about the amount of cores, just the speed per core. So for gaming in general, the 4 cores at 3.6GHz of the 3300X is going to beat the 8 cores of the 10400 at 2.9GHz. There are certainly exceptions - I am not familiar with BFV to make a specific comment on that game.

In terms of costs, the motherboard for the 10400 motherboard might cost you double than say a B450 for the 3300X . Add a cooler to that (3300X stock cooler is fine) and now you might be paying double on the full 10400 package than the 3300X

That said, the 10400 is a decent choice for gaming by Intel, so if it's within budget, it's certainly not a bad pick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The 3300 was a ghost processor at launch, and I've rarely seen them in stock anywhere since.

• Advertisement

TheRover wrote: »
    Rule of thumb for gaming, you don't really care about the amount of cores, just the speed per core. So for gaming in general, the 4 cores at 3.6GHz of the 3300X is going to beat the 8 cores of the 10400 at 2.9GHz. There are certainly exceptions - I am not familiar with BFV to make a specific comment on that game.

In terms of costs, the motherboard for the 10400 motherboard might cost you double than say a B450 for the 3300X . Add a cooler to that (3300X stock cooler is fine) and now you might be paying double on the full 10400 package than the 3300X

That said, the 10400 is a decent choice for gaming by Intel, so if it's within budget, it's certainly not a bad pick :)

With all due respect, I am not sure you quite know what you are talking about?

The rule of thumb is absolutely not "speed per core" or that core counts don't matter and never has been. It's a combination of factors including speed per core and number of cores.

The 10400F has a base clock of 2.90Ghz but it was a turbo-boost of 4.3Ghz and can maintain all core boost of 4.0Ghz.

It is a much better gaming CPU than the Ryzen 3300X. That is a literal fact, I don't know where you are getting the idea that the 3300X is the better cpu. The 10400F is better than the 3600X and 3700X as well.

Finally, you can buy a H410M for the 10400F and it also does come with a cooler for €160. No-one forces you to get a B460M.

I just happen to want one because of the better VRMs and increased power delivery so the 10400F can boost higher.

With all due respect, I am not sure you quite know what you are talking about?

The rule of thumb is absolutely not "speed per core" or that core counts don't matter and never has been. It's a combination of factors including speed per core and number of cores.

The 10400F has a base clock of 2.90Ghz but it was a turbo-boost of 4.3Ghz and can maintain all core boost of 4.0Ghz.

It is a much better gaming CPU than the Ryzen 3300X. That is a literal fact, I don't know where you are getting the idea that the 3300X is the better cpu. The 10400F is better than the 3600X and 3700X as well.

Finally, you can buy a H410M for the 10400F and it also does come with a cooler for €160. No-one forces you to get a B460M.

I just happen to want one because of the better VRMs and increased power delivery so the 10400F can boost higher.

You do seem to be sure of what you want, so enjoy your upgrade! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFwlKgZCzM

Unless I am missing something, that video literally proves my point. In games that scale beyond 4 cores, the 10400F easily beats the 3300X even when it is slower clocked.

Look up the latest Assassins Creed, COD Warzone, or Read Dead 2 comparison videos online as examples, the 10400F easily beats it by a fair amount, not just in average frames but 1% and 0.1% lows as well, even though it's often 4Ghz v 4.4Ghz in favor of the Ryzen.

I get Steve had a gripe with the pricing, but the 10400F is now $140, the 10400 was $200 when he did that video which completely drove the "don't buy this CPU" angle.

Games are only going to demand more cores, not less. Have a look at benchmarks for Cyberpunk 2077. An example of how it's a blend of core count and performance per-core, not one or the other.

Here is a Gamer Nexus video, showing the 3300X comes dead last in this game out of a range of modern processors (though still playable).

BFV multiplayer, the reason I am changing, is another CPU heavy game that runs much better on Intel than Ryzen*, and also scales way past 4 cores as well.

*At least compared to Ryzen 3x, obviously 5600X is amazing but again I am not spending €450 on that when I can get 10400F + board for €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 3 3300X also hasn't been seen in-stock since like... April 2020.

Unless I am missing something, that video literally proves my point. In games that scale beyond 4 cores, the 10400F easily beats the 3300X even when it is slower clocked.

Look up the latest Assassins Creed, COD Warzone, or Read Dead 2 comparison videos online as examples, the 10400F easily beats it by a fair amount, not just in average frames but 1% and 0.1% lows as well, even though it's often 4Ghz v 4.4Ghz in favor of the Ryzen.

I get Steve had a gripe with the pricing, but the 10400F is now $140, the 10400 was $200 when he did that video which completely drove the "don't buy this CPU" angle.

Games are only going to demand more cores, not less. Have a look at benchmarks for Cyberpunk 2077. An example of how it's a blend of core count and performance per-core, not one or the other.

Here is a Gamer Nexus video, showing the 3300X comes dead last in this game out of a range of modern processors (though still playable).

BFV multiplayer, the reason I am changing, is another CPU heavy game that runs much better on Intel than Ryzen*, and also scales way past 4 cores as well.

*At least compared to Ryzen 3x, obviously 5600X is amazing but again I am not spending €450 on that when I can get 10400F + board for €250.

Just saying that 5600x is meant to be €340 in Curry's, not too inflated over MSRP, if it comes in stock but I can completely see why you'd go for the i5. Is a great option for striking between a sidegrade and an upgrade. I just want the 5600x for that high refresh csgo but if the i5 will do you, it's a great option

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Just saying that 5600x is meant to be €340 in Curry's, not too inflated over MSRP, if it comes in stock but I can completely see why you'd go for the i5. Is a great option for striking between a sidegrade and an upgrade. I just want the 5600x for that high refresh csgo but if the i5 will do you, it's a great option

Is this a thing? Like when?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

py2006 wrote: »
    Is this a thing? Like when?

That's the price they're listed on the site, don't think they've ever had any in stock though

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/processors/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-processor-10216691-pdt.html

That's the price they're listed on the site, don't think they've ever had any in stock though

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/processors/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-processor-10216691-pdt.html

I only mention it because I went on live chat with em about it, started whining that UK can't ship here ex vat (I've vat registration number and all) and asked em when stock would be in and they said 7-10 days. Could be b's but I'll be watching all the same, hoping I'm the one who gets it over ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

I would advise against buying from Currys PC World Ireland at the moment, if using the delivery option.

Some stock seems to be coming from the UK with DPD being the courier, Some customers are reporting on Currys Ireland facebook page of having being asked by DPD to pay additional import related charges, and others reporting items being sent back to the UK by DPD. Presumably this is why DPD has currently suspended shipments from the UK. Currys Ireland don't appear to be Brexit ready.

I made the mistake of assuming I was ordering a item from Ireland and not the UK, when I ordered from them. I ordered a PSU from them on the 10th of Jan, and have heard nothing since, they are not responding to calls or email. I may have to do a credit card chargeback.

• Advertisement

eoo1 wrote: »
    I would advise against buying from Currys PC World Ireland at the moment, if using the delivery option.

Some stock seems to be coming from the UK with DPD being the courier, Some customers are reporting on Currys Ireland facebook page of having being asked by DPD to pay additional import related charges, and others reporting items being sent back to the UK by DPD. Presumably this is why DPD has currently suspended shipments from the UK. Currys Ireland don't appear to be Brexit ready.

I made the mistake of assuming I was ordering a item from Ireland and not the UK, when I ordered from them. I ordered a PSU from them on the 10th of Jan, and have heard nothing since, they are not responding to calls or email. I may have to do a credit card chargeback.

Ah fair point. I'll probably chance it anyway if they pop up but if they say I don't have to pay VAT for the import and DPD ring me, there will be war.

Advertisement