Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The big UK suppliers will sell the part to you ex UK VAT. Then on the pre-VAT price, they add the Irish VAT (and pay this to the Irish Revenue). If the order is over €150, you will be hit with 10% import duty too if the package gets intercepted. But chances are that if the package is from a number of well known suppliers in the UK who have an arrangement with the Revenue that it will be let go. It's quite likely though that the suppliers are tuning their systems right now to incorporate this import duty. Amazon in the USA does it already and has done for some time.

So get caught and suck it up. Don't get caught and things were exactly like they were before Brexit :D

And keep us updated with your experiences getting stuff in and out of the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

unkel wrote: »
    The big UK suppliers will sell the part to you ex UK VAT. Then on the pre-VAT price, they add the Irish VAT (and pay this to the Irish Revenue). If the order is over €150, you will be hit with 10% import duty too if the package gets intercepted. But chances are that if the package is from a number of well known suppliers in the UK who have an arrangement with the Revenue that it will be let go. It's quite likely though that the suppliers are tuning their systems right now to incorporate this import duty. Amazon in the USA does it already and has done for some time.

So get caught and suck it up. Don't get caught and things were exactly like they were before Brexit :D

And keep us updated with your experiences getting stuff in and out of the UK!

0% EU Duty on computers and all computer parts regardless of the country of origin - guaranteed .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone remember the EU law we were supposed to have, forcing retailers to ship to any country in EU?

I posted about it some time ago but can't find the link.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Anyone remember the EU law we were supposed to have, forcing retailers to ship to any country in EU?

I posted about it some time ago but can't find the link.

I think it was more of a law to stop blocking of access - but not to force them to ship stuff anywhere.
    They have to allow all EU members to order stuff - but the customer might have to arrange delivery to their own country themselves . (Like a parcel forwarding service).

Can't find the actual law - but this is the proposal for it .
    Might help
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/MEMO_16_1896

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Ogham wrote: »
    0% EU Duty on computers and all computer parts regardless of the country of origin - guaranteed .

just test buying and noticed €239 duty being charged on a pc monitor today on amazon uk. ?

• Advertisement

buzzerxx wrote: »
    just test buying and duty being charged on a pc monitor today on amazon uk. ?

Are you sure it's not just the Irish vat.?
    Can you give a breakdown of the price , pre checkout and at checkout?

Ogham wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not just the Irish vat.?
    Can you give a breakdown of the price , pre checkout and at checkout?

Sorry , just noticed the picture. Biggest part of that is the Irish vat. It would be easier to work out if you show the sterling price and the price shown before checkout.

The 239.75 is exactly 21% of 1141.68. In other words, this is just the 21% Irish VAT. The base price is now without the 20% UK VAT. It's been like that for years, but just presented in a different way (same way as Amazon has presented it when you go buy something from the US site Amazon.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yeah its listed as £1,237.37 just over £10 more posted to Ireland

No its not vat. must be a coincidence. im vat free on amazon as long as its business related purchases, as its a business account

• Advertisement

Sorry, you may be right. i must not be able to get vat exempt prices any more since 1st Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Sorry, you may be right. i must not be able to get vat exempt prices any more since 1st Jan.

Could you reclaim the VAT on it then after the purchase, seeing as its Irish VAT you're paying?

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Could you reclaim the VAT on it then after the purchase, seeing as its Irish VAT you're paying?

Yes but its more paperwork that way and slower. Apologies again for the confusion.

Yes but its more paperwork that way. Apologies again for the confusion.

Should be easy. You'll get an invoice with the Irish VAT on it. As easy to claim it back as with any invoice from any Irish supplier

Should be easy. You'll get an invoice with the Irish VAT on it. As easy to claim it back as with any invoice from any Irish supplier

Yes but before brexit i didnt pay any vat on uk business purchases there fore there was no need to add it to the vat calculations and no need to check if it was allowed for in the vat returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭combat14

just skip the uk problem solved :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ronivek wrote: »
    I've a 5900x pre-ordered with Overclockers; any chance you'd confirm if you had to pay any customs duties or had any other issues with the delivery?

will do. got my delivery notification from DPD ireland, so looks like it is in country and no notification on any charges yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

mossym wrote: »
    will do. got my delivery notification from DPD ireland, so looks like it is in country and no notification on any charges yet.

Is your package over 150 eur worth?

overclockers are still shipping to ireland i think? they shipped my 5900x yesterday, and they still list ireland on their webpage shipping as they are irish vat registered. they do say they have stopped shipping to rest of europe though
    TheRover wrote: »
    Is your package over 150 eur worth?

was all in the posts above...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

combat14 wrote: »
    just skip the uk problem solved :)

Yep. Had some bits I'd planned to order on Amazon prime via amazon.co.uk, just switched it all over to amazon.de and all good with my prime account and company VAT number automatically picked up. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get here, bought yesterday dispatch notice this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sorry if this has already been asked.

If I pay Vat on a UK good. Then have to pay Vat on arrival to Ireland, can I claim a Vat refund from the UK?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sorry if this has already been asked.

If I pay Vat on a UK good. Then have to pay Vat on arrival to Ireland, can I claim a Vat refund from the UK?

SFAIK, you'd have to claim it from to UK government which could be problematic without being registered for VAT in the UK

Not sure what the story is from UK to Ireland, but goods from the EU to the UK are still zero rated for VAT so I would have thought the reverse would also hold. See http://brexitlegal.ie/exports-from-eu/

smacl wrote: »
    Yep. Had some bits I'd planned to order on Amazon prime via amazon.co.uk, just switched it all over to amazon.de and all good with my prime account and company VAT number automatically picked up. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get here, bought yesterday dispatch notice this morning.

Some components seem to be cheaper in amazon.fr than in amazon.de, but unsure how shipping works in both cases

Some components seem to be cheaper in amazon.fr than in amazon.de, but unsure how shipping works in both cases

https://www.hagglezon.com/ - useful site to compare something across fr, de, it, nl and uk sites.

surprised at uk prime working for germany, it's been confirmed several times all the primes are sepreate subs and you need a seperate one per country. maybe they have changed something due to brexit

€638, in stock and including free delivery tomorrow to NL. By far the cheapest and quickest option I could find. Will cost an additional €23 to get it shipped (insured) from NL to Ireland.

For anyone interested, this was from megekko.nl, a webshop with a good reputation

Delivered in NL next day, like they promised. Seems a very good site with excellent prices (better than Amazon)

Another thing some people might not realise: No VAT is charged (until July) on any package coming into the EU worth €22 or less.

In other words, if you have prime free delivery, you could order a GBP17.99 120GB SSD from Amazon.co.uk, like I just did. At checkout, the price will be ex-UK VAT, so GBP14.97. This is what you pay! No shipping, no VAT :cool:

Delivered in NL next day, like they promised. Seems a very good site with excellent prices (better than Amazon)

All it's missing is a "this site in English" button :D

Another thing some people might not realise: No VAT is charged (until July) on any package coming into the EU worth €22 or less.

In other words, if you have prime free delivery, you could order a GBP17.99 120GB SSD from Amazon.co.uk, like I just did. At checkout, the price will be ex-UK VAT, so GBP14.97. This is what you pay! No shipping, no VAT :cool:

Wanted to do the same with Arctic P12 case fans... except that amazon are charging almost twice the price of scan, so I might wait for scan to get back to normal ;)

• Advertisement

All it's missing is a "this site in English" button :D

Is "i7 10700k" written differently in Dutch than it is in English? :p:D :pac:

Advertisement