Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I bough an item 2 weeks prior to Christmas which was fulfilled by amazon & delivered to Ireland no problem. The same item today is still fulfilled by amazon but displaying the message "This item does not ship to your location".

Interesting. Must mean Amazon making all the companies it does fulfillment for handle their own customs. Really only a shipping aggregator then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I haven't got any email from Amazon about prime video and haven't seen anything official on the net.

Email arrived on the 28th. You only get it if your prime video account is UK registered and you are watching from outside the UK. If you have a UK account but already using a VPN you may not get it as they think you are in the UK. If you are using a UK account and didn't get the email maybe they know you are in Ireland and are cutting you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

On a totally unrelated note does anyone here recommend any specific VPN.

I have getflix but my ISP engages in a practice called DNS hijacking that makes DNS based vpning difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Which ISP? I've had Getflix on almost all of them with minimal issues - Eir were very stingy about IP lease times but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

mossym wrote: »

Good article thanks, so custom duties will still be a thing afterall.

Which ISP? I've had Getflix on almost all of them with minimal issues - Eir were very stingy about IP lease times but that's about it.

Small local fixed wireless provider. To be fair to them their speeds are way better than what I could get any other way and you get a real person on the phone when you ring up - which is a total novelty!! I think the IP hijacking is part of some deal they've done with whoever they purchase bandwidth from. I haven't challenged them on it because I'd be banging my head against a brick wall.

P.S. I'll be giving getflix a try again because I have a lifetime subscription. The "full VPN" works fine but it's slow and cumbersome. I'm hopeful that with a bit of research I can find a way of making their DNS option work. Just keeping an eye out for a backup option also!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

mossym wrote: »

"Most UK online retailers for whom An Post delivers have signed up to a digital solution that enables the shopper to include all charges in the shopping basket at the point of purchase, so that the items may be delivered as normal to the customer. "

I guess it's up to us to find out... if we get hit with customs, then we bought from an UK retailer who hasn't signed up for the solution :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Small local fixed wireless provider. To be fair to them their speeds are way better than what I could get any other way and you get a real person on the phone when you ring up - which is a total novelty!! I think the IP hijacking is part of some deal they've done with whoever they purchase bandwidth from. I haven't challenged them on it because I'd be banging my head against a brick wall.

P.S. I'll be giving getflix a try again because I have a lifetime subscription. The "full VPN" works fine but it's slow and cumbersome. I'm hopeful that with a bit of research I can find a way of making their DNS option work. Just keeping an eye out for a backup option also!

Have you tried doing it on a single device behind the router rather than changing the router setting? Can be more fiddly but helpful if you have something like a streaming box/console which is the only one that needs it enabled.

• Advertisement

have tried a couple. nordvpn by far the best i;ve used, and what i'm continuing to use(concerns about their security admittedly)

also have 3 years left on a purevpn sub, they are okay, just not as good

Have you tried doing it on a single device behind the router rather than changing the router setting? Can be more fiddly but helpful if you have something like a streaming box/console which is the only one that needs it enabled.

I haven't had to use it for over a year now so a lot of my devices have changed since then. From memory though the DNS was being hijacked regardless of whether it was the device or router that had it set. I will try both options again of course. And their full vpn does work - just slowly and some devices can't be set up for it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I haven't had to use it for over a year now so a lot of my devices have changed since then. From memory though the DNS was being hijacked regardless of whether it was the device or router that had it set. I will try both options again of course. And their full vpn does work - just slowly and some devices can't be set up for it. Thanks.

Get some cheap second hand router with Tomato or something similar and use it as a VPN gate?
    Have my second router configured for NordVPN, all the traffic which needs vpn just use that router wifi/lan and the main network its untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Everything looks fine with Amazon UK. Prime video is still working, I don't see any difference. I put a set of ram sticks in my basket and went to checkout. They remove the UK VAT from the price and add Irish VAT (under "Import Fees Deposit"). There's no import duties for PC parts, so the final cost is the same as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Luck100 wrote: »
    Everything looks fine with Amazon UK. Prime video is still working, I don't see any difference. I put a set of ram sticks in my basket and went to checkout. They remove the UK VAT from the price and add Irish VAT (under "Import Fees Deposit"). There's no import duties for PC parts, so the final cost is the same as before.

Will you have to pay extra on delivery?

EDIT: Pc parts have no import duty??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Prime is working for their own stuff but films and whatnot won't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Except that orders under €22 are now free of UK and Irish VAT (until July anyway) - So a 20% discount if you need anything under that price .

Prime is working for their own stuff but films and whatnot won't play.

I just fired up a random film on Prime ("Green Book") and it plays no problem. What are you not able to play?

I just fired up a random film on Prime ("Green Book") and it plays no problem. What are you not able to play?

Pretty much anything that is not a Prime original.

Tried Green Book there - "This title isn't available in your location"

Pretty much anything that is not a Prime original.

Tried Greenbook there - "This title isn't available in your location"

It's working for me. Every movie I tried is working. None of them are Amazon originals.

• Advertisement

c4ZB3eo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Same, started up a random film and no issues.

[edit]
    537912.png

Ogham wrote: »
    Except that orders under €22 are now free of UK and Irish VAT (until July anyway) - So a 20% discount if you need anything under that price .

Nice, I didn't know about that. I tried it out and sure enough it comes up with 0 VAT/import duty on checkout.

Other items do have import duties now. I tried putting a camera lens in the basket, and the "Import Fees Deposit" is more than 21% Irish VAT. The fine print says that they guarantee that you won't pay more than what's listed on checkout, even if it turns out that the import duty is higher when the item hits Irish customs. Plus they'll refund any excess deposit if it turns out the custom duties + VAT are less than what they charged.

Seems pretty good overall. It removes all the uncertainty and guessing about what charges might be due.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Same, started up a random film and no issues.

[edit]
    537912.png

Have no issue only with UK vpn, on irish ip blocks it.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Have no issue only with UK vpn, on irish ip blocks it.

Weird, I'm not using a VPN and it's working. Maybe it's some caching effect and it will stop working for me.

Weird, I'm not using a VPN and it's working. Maybe it's some caching effect and it will stop working for me.

Found out why that could be. Which site You use? Amazon.co.uk or Primevideo.com?
    On Amazon its locked behind location but on Prime plays normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

No VPN here either, just direct connection, on Virgin Media broadband.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Found out why that could be. Which site You use? Amazon.co.uk or Primevideo.com?
    On Amazon its locked behind location but on Prime plays normal.

Yes, I was using primevideo.com. That's it.

Nice one lads! I'll try the other site. Dunno if my smart TV will be able to do that though :(

• Advertisement

Actually strike that primevideo isn't working for me either.

Edit: Ah... had to update my account to Ireland.

Advertisement