Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ukmintemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think its around this time every year I mention Buchans Cold Spells. His first is 7 to 14 Feb and he's never (well when I say never, he hasn't been right since 1991 admittedly....) wrong - so these charts are destined to verify! See the late, great, Brendan McWilliams for those who want to know more....https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/buchan-most-likely-saint-of-meteorology-1.164035%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Ya gotta laugh, as soon as it becomes to the cool thing to take to twitter to say the SSW won't bring cold to these parts, the op runs flip to show Narnia.

In reality the long range and ensemble outputs have shown a battleground scenario giving way to easterlies in the second week of Feb for some time.

Latest NOAA 8-14 day 500mb outlook firming up a bit more on ridging into GIN area, with a more pronounced through into Europe, strong Westerly upper flow getting well south of Ireland now.541186.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

The 7th could be start of something historical just like Brady and the Buccaneers ; ) must apologise for such a ramp : ). But Nacho Libre you are correct we have managed to hold on to the latest upgrades to the morning runs. That in itself is another big box ticked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Reversal wrote: »
    Ya gotta laugh, as soon as it becomes to the cool thing to take to twitter to say the SSW won't bring cold to these parts, the op runs flip to show Narnia.

[/IMG]

Well those op runs could flip again, but the NOAA chart you posted are usually a reliable indicator of the general airflow. We just might not get as favourable an outcome as some of the models suggest
    The thing is once the upper strat recovers somewhat, it is often then that the troposphere really shows the final impact of the SSW.
    I've also read that the effects of an SSW can be felt for 60 days after an ssw. I think the real point here is the experts don't fully understand this phenomenon and its consequences for the troposphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

save that 384 chart as it will probably be gone in the next run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I think its around this time every year I mention Buchans Cold Spells. His first is 7 to 14 Feb and he's never (well when I say never, he hasn't been right since 1991 admittedly....) wrong
    What a great line :D:D:D

anim_yvs0.gif.8e4f5538faf3812df7d46c23cb0d999a.gif

The classic retrogression towards Greenland. A sustained cold spell likely if that verified, that may draw comparisons to others...

Too bad the final frames aren't for two days away

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

The 12z GFS has -10 850s across the country by the 4th on strong easterly winds. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Cork2021

An unreliable enough weather app has my area in cork at -8 Saturday night week...

GEM similar too I think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GEM similar too I think?

This mornings GEM was decent, the 12z is rolling out now so will check back again in an hour when the ECM should also be updated by then.

Gonzo wrote: »
    This mornings GEM was decent, the 12z is rolling out now so will check back again in an hour when the ECM should also be updated by then.

Ah, thought that was the 12z I was looking at. As an aside, I only look at charts in winter. The 12z models are definitely coming out later this year than last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ECM is updated and it's not good.

It's a bit of a no man's land scenario at the end, but it could turn out good in the days afterwards. It would be good to have a clearer picture at this stage though.

I'm wondering if we'll get that non-descript type of weather where it's neither cold or mild and generally dull and overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

It's never straightforward is it. That's why the rollercoaster will never get rusty:D

GEM 12z looking good
    gem-0-210.png

typhoony wrote: »
    I'm wondering if we'll get that non-descript type of weather where it's neither cold or mild and generally dull and overcast.

Is this thinking based off one ECM run or your thoughts having looked at all the model output?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

ECM has no beasterly. I think the who beasterly chase this year is a fairy dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

ECM still points to cold but a messy run alright that will no doubt be different again in the morning. The mean is decent at +240 though, an easterly, heights over Scandi and the trough pushing south.

E5-A2-CE7-C-DC55-4-EA0-BB12-60-BD693-BF4-DE.webp

Operational pretty much at the top of the ensembles

DB2-BFBBB-5480-42-C2-8-DE9-C6-C3-AE8-B3073-png-10aa80f7c5962de4647e268ebd07651d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

interesting to see that -10c is within one standard deviation of the mean, I haven't seen that on any ECM set this winter. it's great to see the ECM is a synoptic outlier too. hopefully the Atlantic doesn't spoil things for us.

Is this thinking based off one ECM run or your thoughts having looked at all the model output?
    a bit of both really and also fair slice of gut feeling based on watching how the weather unfolds. a bit like the Donegal weatherman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The best of this winters cold is coming imo, just have to see exactly what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

If it was showing narnia now it could only go one direction there after. Room to improve is my taking from it.
    Still a nice trend on offer.

Don't think were going to see the GEM this evening, it only goes up to 60 hours tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Don't think were going to see the GEM this evening, it only goes up to 60 hours tonight.

it's already out for me but it's missing some frames. it brings -11c uppers over the east.

gem-1-204.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Out to +240 on Meteociel with a few frames missing

gem-0-204.png

just had a look at the CFS for fun and if it verifies we are in for a very cold February and first half of March. Winds in from the north, north-east and east much of the time with a few milder interludes but the cold just keeps reloading. Even the second half of March all the way to mid May has easterlies at times and some fairly chilly events for the time of year. If this is anything to go by we could be in for a fairly chilly Spring this year. Something to keep an eye on. Scotland is basically in the freezer with barely any interruption between now and April if that verifies.

• Advertisement

just for fun i'll highlight a few of the very cold days from the CFS, it will be interesting to look back on this in April and see how right or wrong this CFS is.

cfs-2-324.png?00

cfs-2-396.png?00

cfs-2-522.png?00

cfs-2-612.png?00

March:

cfs-2-828.png?00

cfs-2-870.png?00

cfs-2-996.png?00

April:
    cfs-2-1722.png?00

This is purely for fun but I don't ever remember going to town on the cold like this before for such an extended period. CFS usually has a bias towards the form horse and the Atlantic but not tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement