Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    From a lad that liked a post calling the Relatives for Justice headcases and likes another gloating about the strength of the union it's clear your Helen Lovejoy act is a front. You supported Greens allegedly but in truth you seem to follow unionist belief. Therefore your views on Irish politics is not reliable.

Attacking the poster for some unrelated trivia, sign of desperation again.

I suppose you also think more Warrenpoints would have been a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

blanch152 wrote: »
    Attacking the poster for some unrelated trivia, sign of desperation again.

I suppose you also think more Warrenpoints would have been a good thing?

No I think it's important to note your views on victims when your were moralising on another poster. Just so everyone knows. Dare I say it the lack of respect for catholic victims is almost bigoted.

smurgen wrote: »
    No I think it's important to note your views on victims when your were moralising on another poster. Just so everyone knows. Dare I say it the lack of respect for catholic victims is almost bigoted.

Nauseating nonsense, unlike you and your ilk, I condemn all terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Oh dear God, just think about what you just wrote.

I used to have some respect for your views, but you have stepped outside the pale with this. Wishing death, mayhem and terrorism on anyone is just horrible.

I am sure you will get thanks from the usual suspects, but this lack of humanity and empathy is horrific.

Empathy? The people filmed beating the sh!t out of peaceful protesters for sectarian supremacist reasons were f*cking monsters, blanch. The fewer of that kind of thug we have to share a planet with, the better. I have as much sympathy for people like them as I have for the victims of gangland shootings who were shot in retaliation for their own scumbaggery.

I make no distinction between a member of the RUC or Parachute Regiment getting killed in a retaliatory attack and David Byrne or Robbie Lawlor getting shot in a gang feud.

The difference between you and me seems to be extremely simple. You regard the RUC as a civilian police force which for the most part was a mere law and order force that had the best interests of society at heart. I regard them as essentially Ireland's KKK. Of course we're going to come down on opposing sides when the question of whether they deserved to have their violence met with violence comes up.

Empathy? The people filmed beating the sh!t out of peaceful protesters for sectarian supremacist reasons were f*cking monsters, blanch. The fewer of that kind of thug we have to share a planet with, the better. I have as much sympathy for people like them as I have for the victims of gangland shootings who were shot in retaliation for their own scumbaggery.

I make no distinction between a member of the RUC or Parachute Regiment getting killed in a retaliatory attack and David Byrne or Robbie Lawlor getting shot in a gang feud.

The difference between you and me seems to be extremely simple. You regard the RUC as a civilian police force which for the most part was a mere law and order force that had the best interests of society at heart. I regard them as essentially Ireland's KKK. Of course we're going to come down on opposing sides when the question of whether they deserved to have their violence met with violence comes up.

The difference between you and me is that you see the killing of a human being as a reason to celebrate and I don’t.

What did 19-year old Anthony Wood do to deserve to leave only his burnt pelvis for his family? You disgust me, defending the sociopaths who carried out that ambush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The difference between you and me is that you see the killing of a human being as a reason to celebrate and I don’t.

What did 19-year old Anthony Wood do to deserve to leave only his burnt pelvis for his family? You disgust me, defending the sociopaths who carried out that ambush.

Unfortunately he was collateral of a colonial war machine. The British would do well to study the terrorism carried out by their forces before signing third life away.

With terrorist murders carried out by his organisation like the shooting of a 12 year old (Majella O’Hare) in the back twice on her way to church there was always going to be risk. Maybe if that solider had faced disciplinary action and his shooting of an innocent school girl well publicize it would have been a major demotivator for people joining the British forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread closed for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Im going to assume things just got a little bit heated and that you have all forgotten yourselves. Please improve the standard of posting in this thread or it will be closed for good.

Nauseating nonsense, unlike you and your ilk, I condemn all terrorism.

How about instead of telling people about themselves, you stick to discussing their posts.

Condone terrorism in this thread again and it will be a threadban.

@Smurgen; people are free to 'thank' any post they want. Please stick to discussing the content of posts in this thread if you want to continue posting in this thread. If you want to find out someones view on something - ask them - dont make extrapolations based off of posts they thanked.

The above mod notes are not up for discussion on this thread. If you have an issue with any of this, my PM inbox is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Mary Lou getting a roasting on Claire Byrne.
    Sinn Fein need to figure out their identity.
    Their supporters seem to have very diverse thoughts on what they represent.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Have to say, I haven't heard a stronger interview given by MLMD.

Not just saying it because SF are under pressure. But she didn't flinch on any of the issues there.

And I thought Stanley was going to resign myself. Not sure now that he will.

• Advertisement

Not just saying it because SF are under pressure. But she didn't flinch on any of the issues there.

Yeah she finished strong but was rattled about some story about a senior SF member calling to some member's house to tell them to stop criticising SF. She does sound very annoyed by all this.

Stanley should have resigned ages ago.

Yeah she finished strong but was rattled about some story about a senior SF member calling to someone's house to tell them to stop criticising SF. She does sound very annoyed by all this.

Rattled? She emphatically said she would as leader of her cummann have not the slightest hesitation doing it herself.

Rattled? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

She attempted to justify intimidation of a ogra SF member

That isn’t a good interview at all.

Rattled? She emphatically said she would as leader of her cummann have not the slightest hesitation doing it herself.

Rattled? :)

It's not a good optic when SF already has a reputation for bullying.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    She attempted to justify intimidation of a ogra SF member

That isn’t a good interview at all.

Justify intimidation? Where was that?

She said that she as leader of her own Cummann would have done the same thing.
    If the leader of the local party can't do that, then the whole party whip, party rules structure has to be looked at. Exactly the same thing.
    There is no suggestion (except in the heads of those with SHinners under the bed) that this was a visit by 'heavies' or intimidation. The girl herself was tweeting about her 'friendship' with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The first thing is HP is that no civil rights protestors asked for or sought the intervention of the Provos. The reason I call them that is to distinguish them from the he freedom fighters who from the 1910-1921 era. The Provos are always trying to use this to legitimise there murderous campaign during this period in NI.

While it may be legitimate to equate Warrenspoint with Kilmicheal or some other of the ambushes of the 1920/21 period it convenient to half forget about what else happened that day. A Provo bomber believed to be Thoms McMahon watched from a cliff as he prepared to blow up an old man

While there as well as the old man and his daughter, her husband, his mother, as well as three young boys get on a boat to go lobster fishing. SF and the Provos constantly give out about what the British did. But here were non combatants in my opinion 7 but the Provos considered Mountbatten a legitimate target so even in there twisted logic there was 6 non combatants and he still pressed the button.

Add to that the Remembrance day bombing, Kingmills shootings, Warrington bombing, the pub bombings in Belfast and the UK. As well the shooting of Gardai as well as an Irish Senator Billy Fox a Protestant the only reason he was shot was for representing his community in the Republic. Then there was the shooting of an old retired NI prison officer on his way home from a golfing trip to Dingle.

And even when it all stopped we still had the Provos continuing with illegal activity and killings which SF try to let on are excusable. Alot of there support base still glories in the savagery and thuggery they carried out and continued to carry out for years after the peace process started. Stanley knew exactly what he was tweeting to the party faithful trying to legitimise the murderous campaign of the 1960-1990's. However people born from about 1980 on never remember this. They accept the IRA diitty as it was a response to Bloody Sunday,
    '' we got eighteen and Mountbatten too''.

They never want to mention the two young boys or old women killed as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Yeah she finished strong but was rattled about some story about a senior SF member calling to some member's house to tell them to stop criticising SF. She does sound very annoyed by all this.

Leo should have resigned after leaking confidential documents to some chap he's not even friends with

Politicians can do what they want and have no consequences now. FFG or the Greens can't say anything either as they supported the leaker

Leo should have resigned after leaking confidential documents to some chap he's not even friends with

Politicians can do what they want and have no consequences now. FFG or the Greens can't say anything either as they supported the leaker

I believe the 3 main parties are inherently dishonest. Irish politics is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No. I have repeatedly stated that attacks on civilians are unacceptable.

Then why did the PIRA kill much more civilians than the British Security forces that were apparently the 'evil' forces they were fighting and liberating us from?
    The PIRA also killed more Catholics than anyone else!

I have repeated this a thousand times and ill repeat it again, the PIRA campaign was a huge waste of time, energy, lives and blood. An idiot could have seen from the early 70's that the PIRA campaign to unify Ireland by killing a murder was going to fail. It was NEVER going to work, yet like the idiots they were, they kept on and on as they didn't know what else to do.

Even Gerry Adams knew what the score was then.

This is why people are disgusted by the actions of the PIRA and their supporters who not only glorify the killings but celebrate it as well.

No one has ever shown me how killing a 3-year-old toddler in Warrington helped a Nationalist in the Bogside in their daily life.
    March for civil rights, like John Hume and the SDLP? Yes, no problem.

Killing for it? GTFOH

I am merely pointing out that to many people, myself included, members of either the RUC or British Army were 100% fair game for violent attacks after how they behaved towards the oppressed minority in the region.

Then, you do not know your history.

The British Army were welcomed by the Nationalist community. The PIRA, at the time were glad they arrived.
    But, the PIRA felt humiliated, that the British Army had to come in and protect Nationalists, not them.

So, instead of working with the British Army and trying to keep the peace and security, they started taking potshots at them, because the goal of a UI was foremost on the minds of megalomanic idiots like Sean MacStiofain.

The BA was pushed into the corner here because then they had to go after the PIRA and their weapons caches, which mean encroaching into Nationalist areas and upsetting the Nationalist population, which is exactly what the PIRA wanted and thus the conflict was born.

If calmer heads in the PIRA were at the helm in the late 60's/ early 70's, the whole thing could have been a small skirmish for a few years, while the political leaders worked it out.
    That's where I draw the line, and I'm only arguing with those who state that the RUC should be regarded as a civilian police force and afforded the same level of outrage when targeted as a random British civilian having a pint in a pub - what a bunch of bullsh!t.

Gardai, were they fair game?

Members of the Irish Defence Forces, fair game?

Irish prison officers, fair game?

Off duty RUC members, sitting at home reading the paper... fair game?

Lord Mountbatten, ex Lord-Admiral of the navy... technically fair game, even though he had nothing to do with Ireland?

His grandson, fairgame?

People drinking pints in the Guildford Arms pub? Fair game, as some of them may have been Army personal?

Might have hastened the defeat of the bigoted, discriminatory regime those f*ckers were enforcing through their attacks on nationalist protesters.

Defeat?

NI is still in the UK and the British Army are still there.

If the leader of the local party can't do that, then the whole party whip, party rules structure has to be looked at. Exactly the same thing.
    There is no suggestion (except in the heads of those with SHinners under the bed) that this was a visit by 'heavies' or intimidation. The girl herself was tweeting about her 'friendship' with him.

So Mary-Lou would have bullied the vulnerable young woman too. Good to know. The girl was shocked by the visit.

You would be ok then with Drew Harris going over to Maurice McCabe's house and telling him to shut up and toe the Garda line?

• Advertisement

So Mary-Lou would have bullied the vulnerable young woman too. Good to know. The girl was shocked by the visit.

You would be ok then with Drew Harris going over to Maurice McCabe's house and telling him to shut up and toe the Garda line?

To be fair, previous Garda commissioners did an awful lot worse under the noses of a few Fine Gael ministers.
    Apart from Leo and McGuinness (FF), McCabe was abused by previous FFG governments.
    in January 2014, McGuinness said: “Roughly in February 2014, it was becoming clear that McCabe and his family were not in a position to take much more of this. I had witnessed this man being destroyed year on year [since I met him in 2011]. I don’t know how the man is sitting here at the Tribunal today.

https://www.thejournal.ie/maurice-mccabe-mcguinness-3949680-Apr2018/

FFG should not be proud of anything they did when it comes to McCabe and Garda corruption. They were eventually forced to admit that the state and the police force were corrupt and gave him a fair tribunal.

Don't get me started.

To be fair, previous Garda commissioners did an awful lot worse under the noses of a few Fine Gael justice ministers.
    Apart from Leo and McGuinness (FF), McCabe was abused by previous FFG governments.

I am not the one saying that any such bullying is ok. Francie and others see no problem with leaders of organisations calling round unannounced to people's houses telling them to shut their mouth.

I am not the one saying that any such bullying is ok. Francie and others see no problem with leaders of organisations calling round unannounced to people's houses telling them to shut their mouth.

Indeed. They should send someone else to do it ;)
    Without hearing all the evidence, Mr Kenny despatched his most senior official to the Garda chief's home late at night - after which he stood down - and the Taoiseach has since tried to "hide, twist and turn" to cover his actions, said Mr Martin.

Accusing the coalition government of refusing to be open and honest with people, Mr Martin said details had to be dragged out of the Taoiseach as he refused to answer questions on the issue for 18 months.

"The departure of the head of an independent police force due to pressure from the head of government and the attempt to hide this pressure would be a major scandal in any democratic society," he said.

As I said before....FF, FG and SF are inherently dishonest parties. But Callinan deserved to walk the plank, he is a disgrace. His successor was worse. Where are those missing phones? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

so a phone call wouldnt have sufficed?

It was necessary for the party to send someone to a youth members house, to tell them it was required to delete a tweet that was critical of the party?

That's so far past the whip system, is 10000% intimidation, and from a party with SF's record for bullying is not something that should be let just wash away.

As I said before....FF, FG and SF are inherently dishonest parties. But Callinan deserved to walk the plank, he is a disgrace. His successor was worse. Where are those missing phones? ;)

Again, it is only Francie who sees bullying behaviour as acceptable and normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There is not much difference in the behaviors of FF, FG or SF. You can imagine the amount of stuff that is going on in each of the parties that we are not hearing about. I am sure it is not all sweetness and light in the parties. . Just have to look at the infighting that goes on in local clubs to see what would be going in political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It was necessary for the party to send someone to a youth members house, to tell them it was required to delete a tweet that was critical of the party?

That's so far past the whip system, is 10000% intimidation, and from a party with SF's record for bullying is not something that should be let just wash away.

Seamus Lynch was a member of the IRA as well, so he wasn't some nobody.

Floppybits wrote: »
    There is not much difference in the behaviors of FF, FG or SF. You can imagine the amount of stuff that is going on in each of the parties that we are not hearing about. I am sure it is not all sweetness and light in the parties. . Just have to look at the infighting that goes on in local clubs to see what would be going in political parties.

Don't think that there are former IRA heavies calling around to the homes of young members to silence them in any other political party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It's not bullying, it's democratic centralism.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

There is no suggestion he was 'sent' by anybody.

Mary Lou said she wouldn't think twice about knocking on a door if she thought it necessary.

Plenty of instances of it happening in other parties too I am sure if you looked. Wasn't somebody sent to have a chat with Martin Callinan?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/martin-callinan-fennelly-meeting-2305223-Sep2015/

Advertisement