Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,131 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Don't think that there are former IRA heavies calling around to the homes of young members to silence them in any other political party?

Persisting with unsupported nonsense...otherwise known as a lie. Desperate times. 'Lots of anger' as Brendi would say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

There is no suggestion he was 'sent' by anybody.

Mary Lou said she wouldn't think twice about knocking on a door if she thought it necessary.

Plenty of instances of it happening in other parties too I am sure if you looked. Wasn't somebody sent to have a chat with Martin Callinan?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/martin-callinan-fennelly-meeting-2305223-Sep2015/

You don’t see any issue with a party thinking it’s necessary to go to a members house and demand they delete a post?
    Particularly when that party has a well documented history of bullying and intimidation

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is no suggestion he was 'sent' by anybody.

Mary Lou said she wouldn't think twice about knocking on a door if she thought it necessary.

Plenty of instances of it happening in other parties too I am sure if you looked. Wasn't somebody sent to have a chat with Martin Callinan?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/martin-callinan-fennelly-meeting-2305223-Sep2015/

Ah yes, was waiting for you to equate the two, following the other whataboutery post.

Was Martin Callinan a voluntary member of a political party or was he an employee? Very different.

Comical the way you did that.

Persisting with unsupported nonsense...otherwise known as a lie. Desperate times. 'Lots of anger' as Brendi would say. :D

Not a single word of a lie in my post.

Do you think it was ok?

Don't equivocate with whataboutery.

Not a single word of a lie in my post.

Do you think it was ok?

Don't equivocate with whataboutery.

I see nothing wrong at all with a leader and friend going around to have a chat in person with somebody, no.

Honest opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

:confused::( :cool:

This still going on.

Call to Partisans on both sides. nobody gives a fcuk.

Call to the supposedly governing political parties. Ignore tweets and start governing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This still going on.

Call to the supposedly governing political parties. Ignore tweets and start governing.

See that's the no one outside of party supporting zealots looking to get one over on each really care what goes on in a party.

To me all the parties and their supporters are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites throwing handbags at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This still going on.

Actually that is the part that bothers me the most.

Ireland is now Politics-by-Twitter.

We are worse than the bloody Yanks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Actually that is the part that bothers me the most.

Ireland is now Politics-by-Twitter.

We are worse than the bloody Yanks.

Yep not one discussion on policy, not one policy put forward on how to make the country better and fairer for all people not matter race, religion or sexuality.

This is nothing but deflection from both parties for the inadequacies. Like I said on another thread there are more serious issues in this country than what was said in a tweet. It is sickening what is going on and any parties engaging in this should stop right away and deal with the issues in the country.

Also why can't parties here think for themselves rather than importing crap from other countries? Are we not able to think for ourselves?

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    See that's the no one outside of party supporting zealots looking to get one over on each really care what goes on in a party.

To me all the parties and their supporters are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites throwing handbags at each other.

Tis is actually making me more hostile to FG than SF. I mean I never voted SF but I am not in the least bit surprised that they have members who sorta like or are ambivalent towards the IRA. I would've thought that was a given. I wonder who exactly is not going to vote for them after this? Were all their new voters not aware that SF has had associations with the IRA?

Give it a rest, FG, it's a mere echo chamber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

When I was a Labour party member I had 'the heavies' call to my door on more than one occasion.

Actually come to think of it, when I was in the cubs I'd someone call around one time about a meeting. Me a minor at the time :eek:

Bowie wrote: »
    When I was a Labour party member I had 'the heavies' call to my door on more than one occasion.

Actually come to think of it, when I was in the cubs I'd someone call around one time about a meeting. Me a minor at the time :eek:

Gas. 'Uninvited' is now being deployed to make the visit of a friend and local party leader sinister.

When the 'heavies' and intimidation' lie was called out and shown to be bull****...pivot to the pandemic...'wot about the Covid???' seems to be the angle now. :):)

Yep not one discussion on policy, not one policy put forward on how to make the country better and fairer for all people not matter race, religion or sexuality.

This is nothing but deflection from both parties for the inadequacies. Like I said on another thread there are more serious issues in this country than what was said in a tweet. It is sickening what is going on and any parties engaging in this should stop right away and deal with the issues in the country.

Also why can't parties here think for themselves rather than importing crap from other countries? Are we not able to think for ourselves?

They went trawling for dirt because:
    Woulfe appointment.
    LV lying and giving confidential document to a pal to try secuse votes.
    FF/Greens backing it.
    The vote giving student nurses no pay.

All this tweet stuff is just fake outrage noise.
    The public will see LV as a chancer, (shock), the shinners liked the 'RA, (shocker) and the student nurses getting scammed out of money during Covid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

As I thought...this is all about uptight people's issues with sexuality more than anything else. Embarrassed for the outrage junkies on this one.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brian-stanley-says-he-has-nothing-to-apologise-for-over-2017-tweet-1.4426553#.X8jYyDBjg0U.twitter

How does this square with Eoin O'Broin saying that Stanley made a colossal error of judgement? https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1206/1182706-brian-stanley/

Is Eoin O'Broin wrong to think that? Or do you stand by your previous comments of there being nothing wrong with Stanley's comments and that it was just outrage junkies being uptight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Amirani wrote: »
    How does this square with Eoin O'Broin saying that Stanley made a colossal error of judgement? https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1206/1182706-brian-stanley/

Is Eoin O'Broin wrong to think that? Or do you stand by your previous comments of there being nothing wrong with Stanley's comments and that it was just outrage junkies being uptight?

Eoin O'Broin is wrong and represents a wing of the party that is likely to see them gradually loose support if they play to much into student and D4 type acceptable politics. That's my opinion, when I put SF as a position on the ballot (always get at least somewhere on it) I am not voting for the Social Democrats or Labour I am voting SF.

Don't think that there are former IRA heavies calling around to the homes of young members to silence them in any other political party?

Have you read the girls statement and the fact that she has asked FG to "retract" that comment about the heavies coming around. I think you need to acquaint yourself with this persons statement and not believe the what FG have been saying. You are usually a great one for telling people to get their facts straight. I suggest you do the same and change your tune. As for SF they need to start acting like a proper party instead of this another crap that is only giving other crap parties like FG something to hide behind after their less than savory actions.

https://twitter.com/christineomg5/status/1335941921584386057?s=19

Amirani wrote: »

His tweet on Narrow water was insensitive. Error of judgement.
    Hls Tory insult was vulgar and crass.
    Bad as Leo is, he isnt as bad as the Tories.

Have you read the girls statement and the fact that she has asked FG to "retract" that comment about the heavies coming around. I think you need to acquaint yourself with this persons statement and not believe the what FG have been saying. You are usually a great one for telling people to get their facts straight. I suggest you do the same and change your tune. As for SF they need to start acting like a proper party instead of this another crap that is only giving other crap parties like FG something to hide behind after their less than savory actions.

A few red faces around here I reckon. :):)
    If only they could get past the redtop outrage. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

His tweet on Narrow water was insensitive. Error of judgement.
    Hls Tory insult was vulgar and crass.
    Bad as Leo is, he isnt as bad as the Tories.

And his reference to what people do in bed was... entirely coincidental in a tweet directed at a prominent gay politican?

That's the trouble with the Trump style FG narrative. Similar to when SF held pre election rallies FG tried to pass them off as sinister even though they were having their own. Having the former Sun editor looking after their press is very apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Facts

The party still asked someone to go to her parents and delete the tweet.

If any other party did it there would be outcry.
    SF aren’t a case

Plus the history of bullying in the party.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The party still asked someone to go to her parents and delete the tweet.

If any other party did it there would be outcry.
    SF aren’t a case

Plus the history of bullying in the party.

Oh give it up.

The facts have been put in front of you by the girl.
    Still with the insinuations. Jesus H.

She felt weird, but it wasn't the heavies calling to her door?

That is a matter of nuance. How come she felt weird do you think? A little frightened? A little intimidated? A little scared?

I feel sorry for the woman, can't be easy being in the middle of a Sinn Fein sh!tstorm, the messages she will be getting, the emails, the comments on her social media. I understand she has identified a number of SF members who have been abusing her online and is writing to Mary-Lou with the evidence.

That's the trouble with the Trump style FG narrative. Similar to when SF held pre election rallies FG tried to pass them off as sinister even though they were having their own. Having the former Sun editor looking after their press is very apt.

It was the post-election political rally at Storey's funeral which was the sinister one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Says the lad who was boasting about ringing the Gardaí to complain about Peter Casey's comments not so long ago :pac:

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

"Because despite fine Gael being wrong, I am disappointed in Mary Lou response
    If this is what the party does [knocking on people's doors], it is so uncomfortable
    They should call/email people"

Do you still agree with O'Mahony's latest tweet?

Do you still think Mary-Lou did a great interview?

Do you still think there is no problem with a "friend" calling to the door to ask for tweets to be deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That's really not the hot take you think it is, especially when SF have their very own ex-Sun employee on board as well......

qSn0X8h.jpg

• Advertisement

She felt weird, but it wasn't the heavies calling to her door?

That is a matter of nuance. How come she felt weird do you think? A little frightened? A little intimidated? A little scared?

I feel sorry for the woman, can't be easy being in the middle of a Sinn Fein sh!tstorm, the messages she will be getting, the emails, the comments on her social media. I understand she has identified a number of SF members who have been abusing her online and is writing to Mary-Lou with the evidence.

Look they are the words of the person involved and she has asked FG to retract the heavies statement. Have they done that yet and issued an apology?

I do feel sorry for the girl first for the uncomfortable position that she was put in and secondly for FG using this and twisting her words so that they could score a political point. Two wrongs don't make a right here. That person is now being used as a political football to be kicked around by FG. That for is as bad as the neighbour calling round.

Advertisement