Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Kendelen is small, about 6 foot, if the stats are to be believed. Penny is smaller?

Maybe, I don’t think we should automatically discount players on height, unless we are South Africa of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Both Munster and Ireland have Kendo listed at 6'2 - and I don't think that's inflated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jesus lads.

Let's wait and see if these guys are actually good enough to play test level. Then let's see if the 6 and 8 we have on Lions duty might want their jerseys back after the summer.

THEN we can start glassing each other over who should play 8.

Conan has been excellent for the Lions today. Right now I'd expect him to start at 8 for Ireland in November

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

bilston wrote: »
    Conan has been excellent for the Lions today. Right now I'd expect him to start at 8 for Ireland in November

I'd expect him to start at 8 in South Africa!

I think Doris is the better all-round player, or at least has a higher ceiling, but its impossible to ignore the form that Conan is in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Must have been watching a different game, he did nothing of note to me. Caught a few restarts, did some tackling - did I miss something?

Biggar and Ken Owens were my MotM picks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Must have been watching a different game, he did nothing of note to me. Caught a few restarts, did some tackling - did I miss something?

Definitely had a turnover at least and carried very well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Conan played pretty well today. Provided his injury isn't serious I think he'll be threatening Faletau's starting spot for the opening test.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1408793893894819840?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fascinating game next week. Japan showed they can play at a blistering pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

6-Beirne
    7-Connors
    8-Conan
    Would be Ireland's best backrow currently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

TRC10 wrote: »
    6-Beirne
    7-Connors
    8-Conan
    Would be Ireland's best backrow currently

No because two of them are on the lions tour and unavailable for Ireland 😂

• Advertisement

Must have been watching a different game

Sounds like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would suggest specsavers, those tinted glasses aren’t working very well for you.

Fascinating game next week. Japan showed they can play at a blistering pace.

As much as I love to see it, they need to learn to be a bit more pragmatic. They can run the ball as well as anyone inside the opposition half, but running from their own 22 is difficult to execute

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

He had an excellent game before going off so no idea what game you watched

As much as I love to see it, they need to learn to be a bit more pragmatic. They can run the ball as well as anyone inside the opposition half, but running from their own 22 is difficult to execute

It is, though against an Irish team missing their top players its something that has a shot at succeeding.

Our defence out wide will certainly be tested which is no bad thing.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would suggest specsavers, those tinted glasses aren’t working very well for you.

I'm sorry, but I'd expected more from that pack. The SA pack literally walked through Japan in the second half of their game in the WC.

I didn't see much domination from the Lions selection. In fact Japan grew into the game.

I'm sorry, but I'd expected more from that pack. The SA pack literally walked through Japan in the second half of their game in the WC.

I didn't see much domination from the Lions selection. In fact Japan grew into the game.

Yet somehow managed to only go in at half time 8-3 up.

Unsurprisingly it is easier to more aggressively attack a team when you are in the QF of a world cup, the game is close and you have had a couple of months playing together.

This game was close to dead at half time, the Lions having utterly dominated, and they had a lot of injury disruptions and of course ended up playing with 14 men for the last 15 min or so. Of course Japan grew into the game.

But Conan wasn't even wearing blue this time, not sure how you missed it :pac:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of the players minding themselves after 50 minutes. The game was essentially finished as a going concern and they'd already seen two teammates go off injured.

The players who needed to impress did just that in the first half. And there was a decent cameo from Sinkler. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

Clegg wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of the players minding themselves in the second half. The game was essentially finished as a going concern and they'd already seen two teammates go off injured.

Probably, even if it was subconscious. Especially after seeing AWJ and Tipuric go off early.

I was actually amazed at HT at just how fluid, cohesive and high quality the performance was. Sure the game died a bit in the 2nd half but the game was won. I wouldn't worry about that too much. The 1st game in NZ was against a thrown together team of semi pros and the performance was brutal and we barely won.

As far as performance goes, a very positive game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Let's just say he did absolutely nothing, no carries, no tackles.....Four turnovers would still qualify as "something of note"

It's posts like this that leaves your credibility as a contributor on this forum in tatters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

16 carries for 36m
    4 turnovers

You missed loads.

Did you even watch the game?

Edit - Last august when Stander won 3 turnovers v Leinster in Aviva you described Stander as the best forward on the pitch for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Saw nothing from the pack, but Ken Owens was one of your picks for MOTM?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Saw nothing from the pack, but Ken Owens was one of your picks for MOTM?

When your hooker is the pick of the pack, it says a lot about the back 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Does it? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Gatland obviously doesn't see it with Ryan. His thinking is probably that you need more beef when you're going up against the SA locks and PSdT.

Ryan not having as much of an impact as in 2018 is a strange one. He's heavier now, probably, but seems less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

You are embarrassing yourself

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    You are embarrassing yourself

Nope, I'd have to respect you enough to feel embarrassed. That's not going to happen in this lifetime.

James Ryan has picked up an injury and won't be available for the Japan game at the least. Very frustrating as I'm sure he was hoping to put a bad season behind him and lay down a marker for the next one.

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1408903120952905732?s=09

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    James Ryan has picked up an injury and won't be available for the Japan game at the least. Very frustrating as I'm shire.he was hoping to put a bad season behind him and lay down a marker for the next one.

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1408903120952905732?s=09

Kleyn will slot right in there np

Advertisement