Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭TRC10

I think I would go for:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Martin Moore
    4. Quinn Roux
    5. James Ryan
    6. Fineen Wycherley
    7. Peter O'Mahony
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. John Cooney
    10. Joey Carbery
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Chris Farrell
    13. James Hume
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. David Kilcoyne
    18. Tom O'Toole
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Gavin Coombes
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

Big call leaving out Stander

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Don't make perfect the enemy of good. They help.

And where’s the proof? Peru who have had to worst death rate in the world from covid had the strictest measures of all.

In America Florida and Texas which are completely open as normal have less deaths and cases than NY and California who have very strict measures in place.

You say they help but I’m yet to see the evidence of this?

Almost two years and some people are still struggling with the basics. Unbelievable

2 years and there are still people who believe a piece of cloth is actually going to stop a virus spreading…be****inghave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭theVersatile

MOD NOTE

There are countless Covid threads n
    across boards please use them to talk about it and not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    2 years and there are still people who believe a piece of cloth is actually going to stop a virus spreading…be****inghave.

You are actually a danger to society spouting misinformation like that.

Let me guess, anti-vaccination, and climate change denier etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I think I would go for:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Martin Moore
    4. Quinn Roux
    5. James Ryan
    6. Fineen Wycherley
    7. Peter O'Mahony
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. John Cooney
    10. Joey Carbery
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Chris Farrell
    13. James Hume
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. David Kilcoyne
    18. Tom O'Toole
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Gavin Coombes
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

Think Max O'Reilly could do a job at 13 personally. Also since we're including France-bound players like Roux (and possibly Cooney), you may as well throw Karl Martin into the #23 Jersey too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

I think I would go for:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Martin Moore
    4. Quinn Roux
    5. James Ryan
    6. Fineen Wycherley
    7. Peter O'Mahony
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. John Cooney
    10. Joey Carbery
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Chris Farrell
    13. James Hume
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. David Kilcoyne
    18. Tom O'Toole
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Gavin Coombes
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

At this stage any point investing in Cooney? the management don't seem to rate him and he will be dropped from the squad once Murray is back. Would they be better off putting one of the other lads into get minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The squad is so new that I don't think there's a 'bad' lineup that we can send out.

I would like the guys on the (possible) fringes of the Lions to get a run and keep themselves in the shop window, e.g. Kelleher, Ryan, maybe VDF.

You are actually a danger to society spouting misinformation like that.

Let me guess, anti-vaccination, and climate change denier etc

I’m not going to say what I really think because the mod said stop talking about this topic and I would like to avoid a ban

But…wow you’re insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm.....
    MOD NOTE

There are countless Covid threads n
    across boards please use them to talk about it and not here.

• Advertisement

Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm.....

Conversation ended.

Right so......

Sexton > ROG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Think Max O'Reilly could do a job at 13 personally. Also since we're including France-bound players like Roux (and possibly Cooney), you may as well throw Karl Martin into the #23 Jersey too.

I think they should consider overseas-based players. Just for World Cups, like. Every other nation is at their strongest come World Cup time, but Ireland aren't any stronger than any other year.

Being able to call on Roux, with his Top Quatorze experience, for a World Cup in France, would be a good thing.

I think they should consider overseas-based players. Just for World Cups, like. Every other nation is at their strongest come World Cup time, but Ireland aren't any stronger than any other year.

Being able to call on Roux, with his Top Quatorze experience, for a World Cup in France, would be a good thing.

Every other country is at their best because they have prepared sufficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

molloyjh wrote: »
    Sadly its very believable. I mean this stuff is easy but still somehow a great source of confusion at the same time. Thankfully we have some rugby to look forward to so we don't need to worry about those confused souls.

We're a week out from the 23 for Japan being named. Anyone fancy a crack at guessing the line up?

Kilcoyne Herring TOT
    Baird Ryan
    Coombes Doris VDF

JGP Carbery
    McCloskey Hume
    Stockdale Keenan Balacoune

Heffernan, Byrne, Dillane, POM, Casey, Burns, Larmour
    I would imagine there is zero chance POM doesn’t start. There would be no point having him in the squad if not to start and “bring leadership”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

No sign of Harry Byrne or Will Addison in the training photos. Unclear which of those Lowry is covering for. Possibly both, but you'd imagine he's more likely to be there as a FB.

Hype710 wrote: »
    No sign of Harry Byrne or Will Addison in the training photos. Unclear which of those Lowry is covering for. Possibly both, but you'd imagine he's more likely to be there as a FB.

Absolutely there as a FB.

Possibly running some drills in the 10 channel if Harry is missing.

But surely Faz would have called up Byrne senior or Carty in the case of Harry dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Lowry should have been in original squad.

Would I be the only one who sees Gavin Coombes as much more of a 6 than an 8?

He's huge for a backrower at 6'6. He's tremendously strong, a great ball carrier and a serious breakdown threat.

But for me, he's quick, but I don't see the mobility, footwork and offloading ability that an 8 would ideally have.

Farrell has shown he's keen to move away from the one dimensional no.8 like Stander, and I'd have Coombes in that category too. His selections of Doris and Conan and now Timoney coming into the squad would suggest that he want's an 8 who's more of a natural footballer and who can operate in the wide channels.

Personally, I see 6 as his best position and I think that's where we'll see him this summer.

TRC10 wrote: »

He's huge for a backrower at 6'6. He's tremendously strong, a great ball carrier and a serious breakdown threat.

But for me, I don't see the mobility, footwork and offloading ability that an 8 would ideally have.

Farrell has shown he's keen to move away from the one dimensional no.8 like Stander, and I'd have Coombes in that category too. His selections of Doris and Conan and now Timoney coming into the squad would suggest that he want's an 8 who's more of a natural footballer and who can operate in the wide channels.

Personally, I see his 6 as his best position and I think that's where we'll see him this summer.

It's a pretty valid thought. Ultimately it depends what the coaches want out of him.

Munster in essentially the entire professional era have gone for an 8 in a similar mould to what Coombes is.

We see Gatland has gravitated to a more mobile type 8 who thrives more in the channels leaving the hard yards tight channels type players like Stander and Billy V at home.

Farrell does seem to be gravitating towards a more Doris, Conan, Timoney and even Heaslip type of space attacking 8 which is where I think the game is gravitating to.

Having said that I think Coombes offloading ability is quite understated, it's a strong part of his game.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's a pretty valid thought. Ultimately it depends what the coaches want out of him.

Munster in essentially the entire professional era have gone for an 8 in a similar mould to what Coombes is.

We see Gatland has gravitated to a more mobile type 8 who thrives more in the channels leaving the hard yards tight channels type players like Stander and Billy V at home.

Farrell does seem to be gravitating towards a more Doris, Conan, Timoney and even Heaslip type of space attacking 8 which is where I think the game is gravitating to.

Having said that I think Coombes offloading ability is quite understated, it's a strong part of his game.

100%.
    hes much more than a barrelling no. 8

some of his passing range and off loading ability throughout this season has been surprisingly good

But for me, he's quick, but I don't see the mobility, footwork and offloading ability that an 8 would ideally have.

Personally, I see 6 as his best position and I think that's where we'll see him this summer.

Strongest offloader in Irish rugby right now without doubt.
    He's a better 8 than Doris too, scores tries, and just a great player.
    He should be 8 for Ireland for the foreseeable future as long as he can remain injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Definitely more of an 8 than a 6. He's a huge ball carrying threat, and has good footballing/handling skills and awareness. I'd say he'd be a great fit for bench impact backrower for now. Him and Baird could do a lot of damage coming off the bench for the last half hour.

He should be 8 for Ireland for the foreseeable future as long as he can remain injury free.

Right. Any reasoning behind these assertions? Or just happy to state them as fact without backing them up.

There's a lot more to being a good no.8 than scoring rake loads of pick and go tries.

He's a great player, who's skillset is more suited to 6 IMO.

Can we not start the provincial driven bickering of who is the better player?

Because that's ultimately what it comes down to - provincial bias.

And we saw the same thing with Stander and Heaslip.

They're different 8s. Significantly so.

Right. Any reasoning behind these assertions? Or just happy to state them as fact without backing them up.

There's a lot more to being a good no.8 than scoring rake loads of pick and go tries.

He's a great player, who's skillset is more suited to 6 IMO.

I've actually watched him, which you couldn't have if you come out with statements like he doesn't have good offloading.

And also on this point.

That statement is just a bit wide of the mark.

Tom Farrell, Hugo Keenan, Rob Baloucoune and probably McCloskey all have stronger offloading games

And also on this point.

That statement is just a bit wide of the mark.

Tom Farrell, Hugo Keenan, Rob Baloucoune and probably McCloskey all have stronger offloading games

Of any forward, talking about number 8's not back play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

I've actually watched him, which you couldn't have if you come out with statements like he doesn't have good offloading.

I have watched Coombes, you are totally over rating him. Maybe he could become as you say but very hard to tell after a single season.

• Advertisement

Never said that. I said he doesn't have the offloading ability Farrell want's from his international 8s. Of course he can offload, but not to the level Conan and Doris can.

He does however, posses size, power, raw strength and breakdown ability that they do not. Skills which IMO are better utilised at 6.

Advertisement