Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kleyn will slot right in there np

Japan will have loads of scrums from knock ons so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Japan will have loads of scrums from knock ons so

Great news, Kleyn is a proper TH lock. Should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

When your hooker is the pick of the pack, it says a lot about the back 5.

I wonder if said hooker might reveal himself to be a true Scotsman....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah jaysus……

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jean Kleyn! Behind Ross Molony; Wycherly and Dillane. Jean Keyn might get called up, but he's not jumping past Baird or Dillane. He's just not very good. I think Ahearn leapfrog him fairly soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Great news, Kleyn is a proper TH lock. Should be grand.

That TH lock option served us really well in the last RWC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

This should be about looking at players for the World Cup. No harm to Kleyn but he wasn't good enough in the last World Cup and I haven't seen anything to suggest he has got better. He is only 27 so early to write him off yet but I just don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's for two Mickey Mouse games. I wouldn't get worked up about who gets called up for Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

ineedeuro wrote: »
    This should be about looking at players for the World Cup. No harm to Kleyn but he wasn't good enough in the last World Cup and I haven't seen anything to suggest he has got better. He is only 27 so early to write him off yet but I just don't see it.

The Jean Kleyn thing is a running joke. Nobody really thinks he's being called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's for two Mickey Mouse games. I wouldn't get worked up about who gets called up for Ryan.

Treadwell.

Real question is, who is captain?

Probably POM.

But I don't see him starting both games.

So we'll need a captain for possibly the game v the States.

VDF? Herring?

• Advertisement

Do we need to call up anyone? We still have four second rows in the squad, for two games. It's loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Do we need to call up anyone? We still have four second rows in the squad, for two games. It's loads.

Probably not, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Has the nature of Ryan’s injury been released? Doesn’t seem anything too longterm but it would be concerning if it was another head knock. He’s had a terrible run of it since dislocating his shoulder last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

clsmooth wrote: »
    Has the nature of Ryan’s injury been released? Doesn’t seem anything too longterm but it would be concerning if it was another head knock. He’s had a terrible run of it since dislocating his shoulder last year.

It's a groin injury according to the 42.

clsmooth wrote: »
    Has the nature of Ryan’s injury been released?

I think it's pretty clear he isn't injured and this is all smoke and mirrors to distract from his Lions non selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ryan has had a mare this year with concussion. Probably best to let him rest.

I think it's pretty clear he isn't injured and this is all smoke and mirrors to distract from his Lions non selection.

I'd say Nucifora has told Ryan to fake an injury to save face

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

I heard Nucifora invented Covid-19 so that Dan Kelly wouldn't get capped for England A today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1409467297379622915

James Ryan may yet be fit for the Japan game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,650 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

yerrahbah wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1409467297379622915

James Ryan may yet be fit for the Japan game.

I am absolutely shocked. Shocked I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Why they no have Ahern in the squad? You can't begrudge Molony his call up, but he's not really a player who's going to make a difference at a World Cup. I think this might have been a good opportunity to get TA involved in a similar fashion to what happened with Ryan and Porter in 2017.

awec wrote: »

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

This way everyone wins

If you believe that Ryan wasn't picked because he isn't good enough then you could say, looks he's not really injured, Gats could have picked him if he wanted

If you believe that Ryan wasn't picked because he was injured then you could say, look he's carrying a niggle, Lions tour is too short to fly out injured players

So did the IRFU hatch this plan after Ryan wasn't picked? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

giphy.gif

So did the IRFU hatch this plan after Ryan wasn't picked? Why?

Nah I think a few journos heard that Ryan had picked up a knock and were trying to give some people what they thought they wanted to hear (that he was not selected due to injury rather than just not being selected).

Nah I think a few journos heard that Ryan had picked up a knock and were trying to give some people what they thought they wanted to hear (that he was not selected due to injury rather than just not being selected).

So the journalists made this up? And this article is lying?

I would have thought Ryan being snubbed would be a bigger story for the journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Why they no have Ahern in the squad? You can't begrudge Molony his call up, but he's not really a player who's going to make a difference at a World Cup. I think this might have been a good opportunity to get TA involved in a similar fashion to what happened with Ryan and Porter in 2017.

Has Aherne really done enough to warrant inclusion in the Ireland squad? He's had some very good cameos in the Pro14 but I wouldn't have thought he's done enough yet, and I'm a Munster fan

So the journalists made this up? And this article is lying?

I would have thought Ryan being snubbed would be a bigger story for the journalists.

:confused:

I didn't say anything was made up, but it is clearly nonsense that Ryan wasn't selected due to injury.

Cian Tracey:

"Hearing James Ryan picked up an injury in Ireland training this week, which ruled him out of Lions contention."

Ryan's injury is so bad it ruled him out of Lions selection, but it turns out he might actually be totally fine to play in an absolutely nothing game for Ireland instead.

• Advertisement

We have no idea if Ryan would have been called up or not if he was fit. He's a better player than Beard but who knows what Gatland is thinking half the time.

However, there's no way that Gatland would bring an injured player in as a replacement, and it's very unlikely IRFU would be falling over themselves to send one of their star players on a 7-week tour of South Africa while carrying an injury.

Slightly grim seeing how pleased some people are at Ryan's difficulties though. Not surprising but still.

Advertisement