Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ooni pizza ovens & accessories thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Blizzard wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that info @Muahahaha. Because we haven't used a pizza oven before and I'm not sure how often we'll use it, I went ahead and ordered one from Rathwood.com this evening. (I do like to cook and we were supposed to be headed to Italy on holidays this summer but that's not looking likely, I figured we should get this instead :pac:). I ordered the Koda 12 for €299 (it's selling on Ooni and most places for €349) and I got the cover for it also which will be delivered in early/mid May. Now I did have to pay €39 for shipping so it almost cancels out the savings as Ooni deliver for free BUT I had two reasons for doing this: 1) we're having work done on the garden in April so I don't plan on doing too much out there then + we have a bbq if the weather is fab and 2) Rathwood have EasyPay option so my total was €377 but I only paid €126 today and I can pay the balance however/whenever I want over the next 8 weeks. This option might appeal to others.

So now that I have that ordered, what accessories do I need to get to start: a peel (thinking I might get a wood one and a long-handled stainless steel one), dough cutter / scraper, infrared thermometer. I've been looking on Amazon for these. Anything else or any advice?

Thanks for posting, I've just ordered the Koda 12 from Rathwood too, I didn't get the cover..just the oven. Delivery was €16 for me? Off to order some accesssories now from Aliexpress seeing as I have plenty of time to wait before it arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

epopnomis wrote: »
    anyone else have issues with pizza sticking to metal peel when launching the pizzas. its hit or miss with me and normally half the ingredients end up in the oven in a blaze. thinking its the metal peel. dough is 65% hydration.

My advice is plenty of semolina on the peel before you put your dough on it. The easiest way when starting is to semolina the peel and then put your stretched dough on it. Then sauce and top it while giving it a jiggle every so often so it doesn’t stick. Do this just before you want to launch into the oven and don’t hang around. It should be very easy to get in without sticking then.

The alternative is to use a wooden peel or board - these can be got quite cheaply also. This helps but dough can stick to wood also, so some semolina still required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I give the peel a light dusting of flour before putting the stretched dough onto it and then keep giving the dough a wiggle as I'm building the pizza. And it's really important that you've got good movement right before launching.

We just had pizza today, second time for the ooni in 2021! Jez it was good :D we'd be hard pressed to go back to the regular oven even on a not so nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

redmissb wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, I've just ordered the Koda 12 from Rathwood too, I didn't get the cover..just the oven. Delivery was €16 for me? Off to order some accesssories now from Aliexpress seeing as I have plenty of time to wait before it arrives!

Glad that info was helpful to you. You're right about the delivery - I just checked and if I ordered the oven alone it would be 16.95 to deliver but as I had the cover it jacked up to €39. Delivery for the cover alone was €10.95...I'm going to contact them to see what's up with the inflated delivery cost & if they'll adjust it. Thanks for that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bluenile1

Hello I would be interested in a referral code for ooni if anyone has one as I think it gives 10% off. And it might come a little sooner than rathwood may delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So now that I have that ordered, what accessories do I need to get to start: a peel (thinking I might get a wood one and a long-handled stainless steel one), dough cutter / scraper, infrared thermometer. I've been looking on Amazon for these. Anything else or any advice?

Yeah all those things are good to have. Ive an infra red thermometer but dont really use it now as I know from testing temperatures that once the oven is pre heated with gas for 15 minutes it is up to around 430-450c which I find is the perfect temp to launch at. But an IR thermometer is handy to have at the start so you can get to know how temps are behaving during pre heating. Its also handy to know that the oven isnt too hot as when it gets closer to 480-500 degrees thats the point that the pizza base can burn really quick. They are only around 15 quid on Amazon so good to have when you're starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

epopnomis wrote: »
    anyone else have issues with pizza sticking to metal peel when launching the pizzas. its hit or miss with me and normally half the ingredients end up in the oven in a blaze. thinking its the metal peel. dough is 65% hydration.

Make sure the pizza can move before launch, dust the peel with flour or semolina (not too much) before putting on the pizza on it and if you feel it sticking then try raising the dough and blowing under it. Some people get a wooden peel, or there are metal pizza plates you can get and just throw them in the oven with the Pizza on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bluenile1

Bluenile1 wrote: »
    Hello I would be interested in a referral code for ooni if anyone has one as I think it gives 10% off. And it might come a little sooner than rathwood may delivery.

Hi just to say GW10%-11201 which was posted earlier have 10% off on ooni main site. Free shipping. I ordered the koda 12 plus accessories due to be shipped end March

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Is there any disadvantage from ordering an Ooni from Meadows and Byrne rather than the Ooni website?
    Can't see anything about warranty on the M&B page.
    Thanks

Just curious, does anyone have links to the items--peels, etc.--they ordered on Wish or Aliexpress? I've never ordered from either and as my oven won't be delivered until May I have ample time for delivery. I normally order stuff like this from Amazon but with Brexit, anything over €22 has extra charges now I believe. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

According to DPD, my Koda 16 Meadows and Byrne order will be with us tomorrow. I know someone who ordered from Ooni back in November and still isn’t here.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Glad that info was helpful to you. You're right about the delivery - I just checked and if I ordered the oven alone it would be 16.95 to deliver but as I had the cover it jacked up to €39. Delivery for the cover alone was €10.95...I'm going to contact them to see what's up with the inflated delivery cost & if they'll adjust it. Thanks for that! ;)

I hope they adjusted it for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

comerla wrote: »
    According to DPD, my Koda 16 Meadows and Byrne order will be with us tomorrow. I know someone who ordered from Ooni back in November and still isn’t here.

Just made the purchase, nervous-big purchase........hope my husband likes it!
    I won't know until August:P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mine is arriving at lunchtime today, just about had enough time to tell herself!

I'm in that boat, ordered a Karu, cover, peel and cookbook in mid November and still waiting on the Karu to be shipped after the rest arrived before Xmas.

redmissb wrote: »
    I hope they adjusted it for you!

Would you believe they didn't! Emailed them and got this ridiculous reply: "I have looked into this for you. The price you are paying for delivery is correct. The delivery charge is for how much is in the van of your order and not on how far the items are taken this is why your delivery is more expensive." (How far the items are taken was never even mentioned in my email only the two items. ???)

I responded advising that a cover should be lightweight and take up no real room that warrants an increased delivery of €22.15. To which I received another vague reply advising: "The curries* just charge us on how much space is taken up in the van. I will say it to my superiors about this for the future." [*Presume she meant 'couriers'.] I was so annoyed at that reply I haven't responded....yet.

So I've paid €39 for delivery on the Koda 12 (which you paid delivery of (€16.85) and if I ordered the cover alone delivery would have been €10.98, which would have been a total of €27.83. Most places would have combined and discounted the delivery. I've also checked the Rathwood.com site and if I ordered a four seat rattan patio set (with table) delivery would only be €58. It beggars belief how they are justifying their shipping prices. :eek::eek:

If anyone ordering from them just watch out for shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

So I've paid €39 for delivery on the Koda 12 (which you paid delivery of (€16.85) and if I ordered the cover alone delivery would have been €10.98, which would have been a total of €27.83. Most places would have combined and discounted the delivery. I've also checked the Rathwood.com site and if I ordered a four seat rattan patio set (with table) delivery would only be €58. It beggars belief how they are justifying their shipping prices. :eek::eek:

If anyone ordering from them just watch out for shipping costs.

That’s an absolute rip off !!!! I don’t think that I would let that lie just for the principle of it alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

surely you could just cook any pizza up to 16 inches in the larger oven? Seems like a really good deal at that price

willabur wrote: »
    surely you could just cook any pizza up to 16 inches in the larger oven? Seems like a really good deal at that price

yeah of course you could do a 12 or 14 inch pizza in a 16 inch oven. Suppose it depends on the price differential between the two and delivery times. Its insane that some people are waiting up to 6 months for delivery. There must be more to it than the stated courier problems as we're not really hearing these long lead in times from other companies, Id say their manufacturing cannot keep up with demand.

I know, I know, it's ordered though. You guys are right too so I've emailed them back telling this girl that's been giving me these reasons telling her to escalate the issue to her supervisor.

I just checked on the Ooni site and I could have ordered the cover for the same price, delivery appears to be free and they're offering a 10% discount so the cover would have only cost me €36!

• Advertisement

On a happier note, our landscaper confirmed dates for the work on our garden last night. It's scheduled for late April and we'll hopefully have delivery of our pizza oven in May and can enjoy having pizza on our new patio then so it'll all be good/worth it.

At the time I got the cover from the UK site with free delivery and used Parcel Motel for 3.95. The EU site was something crazy like 20 euro delivery. Pity the cover is not below the 22 euro VAT threshold because Parcel Wizard are still operating at 6.50 a parcel. Not sure how efficient An Post have become at stopping stuff that is just over the threshold but if they did the VAT and customs charges would make it balloon up in price.

One thing I'll say though is that the Ooni covers are very good quality, mine has been in use all winter and it still looks brand new with no fading on the logo or signs of wear at all. I was worried it wouldnt cover the gas attachment properly but it fits perfectly over that and the chimney. The cover is also a carry case with handles which is another little bonus if you ever wanted to take it somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I just seasoned my three Ooni cast iron pans in the oven. We're trying steak tonight for the first time. :D

Pipmae wrote: »
    I just seasoned my three Ooni cast iron pans in the oven. We're trying steak tonight for the first time. :D

How many pans fit into the oven at the one time?

Tell you later. Definitely not all four. I've one dual grizzler and two of the sizzler ones.

https://eu.ooni.com/collections/shop-all/products/ooni-dual-sided-grizzler-plate

https://eu.ooni.com/collections/shop-all/products/sizzler-pan

Update on my order with Rathwood.com - Success! - they've revised my delivery charge back to €16.85 total (not €39), happy out now and thanks to @redmissb or I wouldn't have realised how much I was over-charged. ;)

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Just made the purchase, nervous-big purchase........hope my husband likes it!
    I won't know until August:P

I don't know how you'll resist temptation not to open it until then. You'll miss the best months of the summer.:pac:

One - the big one. Fillet steak x 4.

Pipmae wrote: »
    One - the big one. Fillet steak x 4.

Curious - how long would you cook those for?

• Advertisement

Curious - how long would you cook those for?

All in all they took about 10 mins. I heated the oven up at the max with the cast iron pan in it for 20 mins. I added the steak with a bit of oil and turned the oven down. I had to turn the steak every two mins or so. I also put the flame up and down a few times.

I finished the sides by just searing them on the hot pan (like you'd cook a steak on a stone in a restaurant).

It was a bit of trial and error as it was the first time to cook steak in it. The crust on it was just fab but it was a little bit over for me (I like medium).

Advertisement