Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow school issues clothing diktat to female students

Options

Comments

meeeeh wrote: »
    The hate of women in girls in this thread is scary. It's fúcking leggings, we all wear them when exercising because they are the most comfortable clothing to exercise in. I actually don't understand why would anyone find cotton track suit bottoms suitable for relatively intensive P.

Sweet baby Jesus.
    Who is hating women?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The creepy stuff here is disturbing and it's in lots of topics on boards lately particularly since COVID 19.

strandroad wrote: »
    Multiple reports are a form of evidence. Yes there could be some distortion but the principal wasn't in the assemblies, the students were.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

No named people reporting one thing, unverified sources and media frenzy
    V.
    One named individual having had the time to investigate, denies they were said.

I'll go with the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Maybe the parents should be ensuring the girls and boys dress appropriately. Society seems to be happy enough to sexualise children with the likes of that Cardi B yoke and her ilk acting as cheerleaders.

A lot of parents have seconded parenting to the schools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

If they ever want to know why there are such low and dropping number of male teachers in Ireland anymore, this story and the vile reaction on social media shows why.

Load of male teachers called perverts, sexists and paedophiles online and in media for days based on total BS which they weren't even involved in. Just shows what a lot of people think of men around children and it only takes a few fake tweets and facebook posts for it to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

meeeeh wrote: »
    We wore leggings or shorts 30 years ago in school. There were never any comments about our knees or hips or anything else. There might be some insulting comments made to bigger girls but nothing about how leggings are to tight for PE. I'm sorry but this seems to be some Irish obsession and I really don't get it.

BTW my 8 year old wears leggings to PE because they are the only sports pants that don't slide off her. So apparently it's better if half of her arse is sticking out than that she is wearing leggings.

the leggings you wore 30 years ago are still available, nobody has an issue. Its the new fabrics that have been developed which are super skin tight and add definition to all the curves combined with being half see through that theres an issue with. No issue with teenage girls wearing leggings, how any parent allows their child to leave the house in those painted on, curve defining half see-through leggings is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

strandroad wrote: »
    Multiple reports are a form of evidence.

Covid19 doesn't exist to some .

Surely according to you that's suggests it true based off evidence on social media claims , but there seems to be 20 different versions of what girls claim was said and yet none of them are the same ,
    So the evidence is unsubstantiated Chinese whispers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I can only imagine the looks of parents picking up their kids if all the male teachers were walking around in skin tight Lycra shorts , bulges abound leaving little to the imagination.

Most working environments require some sort of dress appropriately for the role.
    Same should be applied for schools.
    I went to a secondary school with no uniform and many a time people were sent home to change, and it wasn’t for wearing tight clothes either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Sweet baby Jesus.
    Who is hating women?

Did you see the posts about common whores and prostitutes?
    It's teens wearing leggings to PE ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So now you're going to tell me about ethics...
    I suspect you know as much about them as defamation

Ethics & Defamation.
    Theyre not mutually exclusive, but you'd hope your journalist has regard to both in their reporting.

Seriously, stop stretching. A newspaper published a story about someone's private life they don't want anyone to know about, that's unethical. But not defamation.

Given the amount of red tops and dodgy broadsheets we have it should therefore be easy for you to find any amount of defamation cases they've lost when reporting stories in a similar manner to this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

We'll have to agree to disagree.

No named people reporting one thing, unverified sources and media frenzy
    V.
    One named individual having had the time to investigate, denies they were said.

I'll go with the latter

Some parents were named in the reports if it makes any difference to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

mariaalice wrote: »
    The creepy stuff here is disturbing and it's in lots of topics on boards lately particularly since COVID 19.

Dont you know?
    "There is always a rise in mass hysteria and fraud right before a financial crash".
    Yesterday the Dow Jones hit 30,000. Not long now until it pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Did anyone stop to think of the lesbian teacher who was also distracted, shame on her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

the leggings you wore 30 years ago are still available, nobody has an issue. Its the new fabrics that have been developed which are super skin tight and add definition to all the curves combined with being half see through that theres an issue with. No issue with teenage girls wearing leggings, how any parent allows their child to leave the house in those painted on, curve defining half see-through leggings is beyond me.

I dunno, I'm pretty okay with it as I don't sexualize teenage girls like a ****ing creep.

My 14 year old wears leggings, and I'd happily bash in the skull of any grown man who'd sexualize her around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

A lot of parents have seconded parenting to the schools.

A lot of parents have seconded parenting to social media and have no clue what is going on in their kids lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think you are paying a bit too much attention to what girls are wearing. I certainly didn't notice any difference except that they were shinny in my time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

And as for Richie Sadlier, for a man who dines out on mental health promotion and going around schools taking doing talks on sexual consent, what a cretin he is labelling the teachers are paedophiles based on nothing just for a few twitter likes.

An RTE employee to boot. If I was a principal I wouldn't be letting him into my schools anymore to his talks if that is what he thinks of teachers. How do you think the mental health of those male teachers will be today Richie? With people calling them paedos and staring at them in the street over facebook fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Turned out the wrong thing to do but I personally think the teachers were trying to be sensitive to the girls in speaking to them alone. Cutting out certainties like the boys laughing and teasing the girls over their tight clothing along the lines of - hear that LeeAnn, that's you they're talking about, you **** you.
    Also imo any training clothes in PE are grand but with Covid they wear their PE gear all day, no changing these days so normal school appropriate clothing needs to be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    anewme - take a day away from the thread & calm down.

This is not the place to be throwing allegations about.

walshb - also take a day off.

Both of you relax & stop this back & forth attack.

If you continue this argument anywhere else, sanctions will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    anewme - take a day away from the thread & calm down.

This is not the place to be throwing allegations about.

I wont post on this thread again Ted, so not to derail it, but PM has been sent to you on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

seamus wrote: »
    As much as I find it amusing how much of a tizzy twitter has gotten into over a story that never actually happened, there is this darker aspect to it that's been revealed.

Two groups of people immediately popped up

- People who went, "yep, that's men, scumbags, I'm sick of the lot of them"
    - People who went, "yep, that's women, fvcking whores, always dressing like sluts and then claiming innocence".

Both scary groups of people. Of course, only one of them is likely to be really violent.

Of course only one of them had the ear of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I dunno, I'm pretty okay with it as I don't sexualize teenage girls like a ****ing creep.

My 14 year old wears leggings, and I'd happily bash in the skull of any grown man who'd sexualize her around me.

I dont tend to sexualise young girls either, but in a world where so many awful predators and teenage boys do, I don't think it helps them trying to sexualise themselves wearing a very specific type of leggings popularised by a cohort of adult women online who sexualise themselves for money and popularity.

the sexualisation of teenage girls is a two way street, theres a lot of men and boys need to cop the f on to themselves , but equally theres a discussion parents need to have with daughters about how emulating a 20 something influencer who sells her body online is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Think the most important word in all of this nonsense is appropriate.

We are a primary schools who doesn't think twice about turning a blind eye to non uniform clothing during warm weather.

Always without fail each time you'll have to have a quiet word with a parent who doesn't seem to understand the difference between appropriate clothing and inappropriate. Always you'll get one parent who replies with the line" but they like those clothes" without seeing how it just isn't appropriate for a school setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Par for the course nowadays Bren.

Everyone believes everything they hear and jump on the bandwagon.

It's across politics, media, social media.

Society is well and truly ****ed.

Sadly JJ it’s not in a good place when stuff like this can get to National Radio and a hard working person seemingly ‘held to account’ for simply trying to keep school regulations adhered to.

Unfortunately people get ‘outraged’ and ‘discriminated against’ far too easily these days and the first port of call seems to be ‘the media’ be it social, local, national, private, or public.

We can see even by this thread how inflamed folk can get with what should be common sense internal issues.

The people I feel sorry for are the staff who have in reality no right of reply and the principal who’s reputation for excellence may well be compromised completely unfairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

When i was a kid, skin tight contour hugging clothes were not usual attire for my fellow tweens/teens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

If they ever want to know why there are such low and dropping number of male teachers in Ireland anymore, this story and the vile reaction on social media shows why.

Load of male teachers called perverts, sexists and paedophiles online and in media for days based on total BS which they weren't even involved in. Just shows what a lot of people think of men around children and it only takes a few fake tweets and facebook posts for it to come out.

It's all part and parcel of the demonisation of males in society, white males in particular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

Sonics2k wrote: »

Internet hard man alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think it helps them trying to sexualise themselves wearing a very specific type of leggings

I see you read from the same book the Italian judge reads from when claiming a woman couldn't have been raped as she was wearing tight jeans which are too hard for an attacker to pull down.

So to summarise, tight leggings ladies, don't do it, you'll only be asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I dont tend to sexualise young girls either, but in a world where so many awful predators and teenage boys do, I don't think it helps them trying to sexualise themselves wearing a very specific type of leggings popularised by a cohort of adult women online who sexualise themselves for money and popularity.

the sexualisation of teenage girls is a two way street, theres a lot of men and boys need to cop the f on to themselves , but equally theres a discussion parents need to have with daughters about how emulating a 20 something influencer who sells her body online is a terrible idea.

Oh please, go back and you'll find people claiming this about all forms of womens clothing. Bell bottoms were too tight on the arse in the 70's, hip jeans in the late 90's, yoga clothes in the 80's and so on.

If you can't separate a teenage girl wearing comfortable clothes and sexualising them, then just maybe you're a part of the problem.

We're not talking about girls showing up to school in those arse cheek high plaid skirts, we're talking about a pair of leggings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What an overreaction. But why should I be surprised. Another example of social media hysteria. And another example of some sections of the tradition media trying to shoehorn a story into something that it is not.

The school has a dress policy for PE - plain and simple. It wasn't being followed and pupils were reminded of this.

Move the fcuk on and cop the fcuk on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement